You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Moment of Silence for $6.99!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 02:35 PM   #1

Default Moment of Silence for $6.99!!

In case any of you haven't played Moment of Silence yet (like me), I just found it for $6.99 at EBGames.com while looking for a DS screen protector. Since I'm a price-comparison freak, I looked up the prices on Amazon, eBay, and Froogle -- nothing comes close. With $1.99 shipping within the US, you can get this game for about $9-$10 depending on whether they charge taxes for your state. Not a bad deal!

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/256053.asp

Last edited by Yini; 09-20-2005 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added link
Old 09-20-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Are you sure you didn't get a used copy? EBgames sells lots of games for cheaper if they've been traded in. I know Moment Of Silence retails for above $30 at all the stores I've seen it at.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
OB

It's still $20 at Best Buy and has been since day one, so that's probably used or they just marked it down for the heck of it. There's some screwy laws when it comes to resale of PC games in places like EBGames and Gamestop, so it's hard to tell.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
Are you sure you didn't get a used copy? EBgames sells lots of games for cheaper if they've been traded in. I know Moment Of Silence retails for above $30 at all the stores I've seen it at.
Best Buy is still selling the game for $19.99 but the version at EB sure seems like new. No more excuses folks. Get it. Play it. You probably have more than enough loose change in your couch to get the game now.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

What are you people talking about? If you clicked on the link you would see the game is NEW. EBGames clearly specifies whether a game is new or used. The game is just sitting in the warehouse and they are obviously trying to get rid of stock. Nothing new. Besides, EB doesn't sell used PC games.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #6

Nope. Just checked the link and it has a tab that says "new". Used games will say "pre-played". I can't tell if it comes with a box and manual or just the jewel case though.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #7

^ I don't see any reason it wouldn't have the box. Beside, TMOS doesn't have a jewelcase. The four discs are in paper sleeves.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
Besides, EB doesn't sell used PC games.
Yes they do. Their retail outlets sell used "pre-played" PC games.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:03 PM   #9
merely human

It's true. The EB Games I've gone to have a small section for pre-played PC games.

Sadly, I don't think I can get MoS now because my graphics drivers are screwed up, won't play certain games (weirdly enough, it played the Indigo Prophecy demo), and I haven't been able to fix it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-20-2005, 05:18 PM   #10

is that game good?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:24 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

I enjoyed the game. It's definitely worth more than $6.99. That's a great price and anyone who has been iffy on buying it should. I can't believe the price has dropped this much (even used versions of newish games sell for much more than this at EB) - maybe it's just a sale? I'm tempted to buy another copy! (I have the Digital Jesters DVD version... paid $35 for it used...)

Shraz, you can read AG's review of Moment of silence here if you're trying to decide whether to buy it.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
Yes they do. Their retail outlets sell used "pre-played" PC games.
Sorry. I was referring to the website.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:05 PM   #13
merely human

Yeah, I don't think they sell their pre-played PC games through their site, but they do seel pre-played console games.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-20-2005, 10:55 PM   #14

Quote:
$6.99 at EBGames.com
WTF...?

Old 09-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
WTF...?

I tried finding the system specs for the game but couldn't do it quickly (lazy me). I had downloaded the demo and when I played it, the screen was black except for the two characters at the start of the demo (I have a 32 MB video card). But, I think I'll buy the game anyway (at full price ) - 1. It looks like a great story 2. Even though I have many games to play and no time, it's nice to have a good game to fall back on when you're in the mood and 3. I want you to be able to pay your rent
Old 09-20-2005, 11:31 PM   #16

Quote:
But, I think I'll buy the game anyway (at full price )
That's kind of you, but if the game is on sale for $6.99, then get the cheap copy. (I know I would. ) If you feel like donating, don't worry about my rent; support Amnesty International or the Hurricane Relief funds.

I'll have to look into the reasons for this retail price, though. I totally wasn't aware of this price drop, and I'm very surprised, to say the least.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to imichaelj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
I'll have to look into the reasons for this retail price, though. I totally wasn't aware of this price drop, and I'm very surprised, to say the least.
Might I bother you for a bit of insight on this? I was under the impression that once a game had reached a retail outlet, the game's full price had been paid to the distributor. So any discount on the part of a retailer would be a loss for them. Is this way off base? If it is, I may very well stop buying cheap copies of somewhat recent titles. I'd prefer supporting the developer over saving some moolah.

evolve - quit playing with yourself
"jesters do oft prove prophets." - william shakespeare
Old 09-21-2005, 02:28 AM   #18
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by imichaelj
Might I bother you for a bit of insight on this? I was under the impression that once a game had reached a retail outlet, the game's full price had been paid to the distributor. So any discount on the part of a retailer would be a loss for them. Is this way off base? If it is, I may very well stop buying cheap copies of somewhat recent titles. I'd prefer supporting the developer over saving some moolah.
You were right the first time, the developer doesn't get any more for you paying more. The price drop is most likely due to a drop in sales. The developer doesn't always get a percentage of the sales, but sales are one of the main factors in trying to get backing for the next project.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:39 AM   #19

Seems like I'm capable of psi-influencing EB. Just when I was about to get really angry, the price miraculously changed back to $19.99.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:55 AM   #20
Coming Soon

Send a message via Yahoo to kwbridge

It could have been a mistake in their db. EB does this all the time and to a lesser extent Amazon. It's been a bit of a controversy because if you order the game when the price is listed as really low they will send an email telling you they made a mistake and then cancel the order. Personally I think they should honor the price even it was an error for all orders prior to fixing the price. This recently happened with Nintendogs at Amazon.