You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Is PC Gaming going to disappear?

View Poll Results: What will be the future of PC Gaming
PC Gaming will emerge from the next-gen as a phoenix, stronger than ever. 29 58.00%
PC Gaming will be niche, with only few genres to play. 19 38.00%
PC gaming is going to disappear all together 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2005, 06:21 AM   #121
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

PC games are doing better in Europe, yet this week when I visited several game stores this week, and the PC section seems to get smaller and smaller and the PS2 one bigger and bigger....

It's a good thing some megastores have a console section far away from the PC games, where it's just as big as the PS2 one...

One thing DOES worry me, when the new generation consoles come out, they will take space from another section to put their games, but which section will be the one to suffer this loss of space?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #122
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
PC games are doing better in Europe, yet this week when I visited several game stores this week, and the PC section seems to get smaller and smaller and the PS2 one bigger and bigger....

It's a good thing some megastores have a console section far away from the PC games, where it's just as big as the PS2 one...

One thing DOES worry me, when the new generation consoles come out, they will take space from another section to put their games, but which section will be the one to suffer this loss of space?
It's the same in the US. 6 years Ago I used to go to EBGames and would see the whole store full of PC games. You could see all the newest title on the shelves and behind the counter. The other day I went to buy WOW. They don't even have it on display. The guy opened a secret door, and came out with a copy of the game. The only store that still gives respect to PC Games is Fry's. They have a whole isle dedicated to them, where you can find games from the longest journey to Psychonauts. (Console games have 2 isles )

Firefox rules
Old 06-05-2005, 10:03 AM   #123
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Media Markt:
-PS2: 4 Aisles
-PC: 2 &1/2 Aisles
-Xbox and GC: 1Aisle
-GBA, DS and N-Gage: Share the same aisle, 1/3 each...

It's same in most stores, the PC aisle is smaller than the PS2one, but still bigger than the rest...
Old 06-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #124
merely human

Geeks will be geeks.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #125

Hi all,
I don't have a game console, because well, just because. I didn't want to spend the money right now. What I do like is that, from everything I've read, the game just plays! I like that a lot.

I think PCs will be good for games where you want, and I know this isn't the right phrase, a more open environment. Say you want to download some additional creatures someone else did for "Spore" (wow, what a game, available in what, 2006?), or perhaps a mod for Morrowind. That's where the PC environment will shine. I also can't really see how you can play a strategy game on a PC.

Oddly, enough, the only thing I'm not that crazy about, with regards to console games, is that I can't figure out how I would take screenshots. I like taking screenshots.

Yeah, the metrics on game sales are goofy, and hard to get. What you really want to know is what proporation of people play games on PCs, and on consoles, and on what consoles.

I'm also really interested in portable gaming. I spend a decent amount of time playing games on my Palm - my Palm Tungsten T3 - there's this sim game Village Sim, that I'm rather addicted to. I also have a Palm device that sort of has a gamepad - the Zodiac 2, got it cheap at the PalmSource developer conference, got in free because I worked it. I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy the Zodiac 2 (a nice device but no future in it, in my opinion), but it gave me an idea of what those other portable gaming devices are like. Gosh, I bet they are fun! It's a pity I suck at action games.