You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General fable review check it out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2004, 04:16 AM   #21
BigRobot

The review IGN links to at the end of their review, I feel, is more sensible (read: less foot-in-mouth-stuffing). The reviewer talks about how the game isn't nearly as open-ended as one would believe. The game's 22 story-related missions are inflexible, that no matter what your alignment is approaching them, you do them the one way in which the devs' intended. I'm assuming being evil means that you'll get a different CG-rendered FMV ending than would the good guy. I like way more consequence in my RPGs than that. He claims that he was only able to find six(!) optional quests, and that it was only in those that he could play good guy/bad guy. This is something that bothers me, being a fan of the open-ended Fallout-styled RPG in particular. It's my every intention to rent this game, but I won't be buying it before then.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:29 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to edlglide

Most PC RPGs are open-ended............Arcanum was probably the one I liked the most.

But as for Fable, I remember posting here just a couple of weeks ago that you shouldn't get your hopes up about everything that was said about the game. I didn't think they'd come close to pulling off everything they said they would, and they didn't. Apparently it's ended up as just a regular RPG. Which isn't to say it's not a good game -- I haven't played it so I can't pass judgment. But it isn't creating a new genre, or vastly expanding RPGs. According to the reviews I've looked at, it's a fine game..............just nothing close to what people were expecting, because it didn't fulfill all the claims they made about it.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:45 AM   #23
After 2 years...

Well, there goes my hopes for a totally open life gaming experience

Oh anyway, from what i read on reviews it still is pretty pretty good.

I want to be a hero now, whose gonna be my sidecick?
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 09-07-2004, 11:59 AM   #24
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlglide
Most PC RPGs are open-ended............Arcanum was probably the one I liked the most.

But as for Fable, I remember posting here just a couple of weeks ago that you shouldn't get your hopes up about everything that was said about the game. I didn't think they'd come close to pulling off everything they said they would, and they didn't. Apparently it's ended up as just a regular RPG. Which isn't to say it's not a good game -- I haven't played it so I can't pass judgment. But it isn't creating a new genre, or vastly expanding RPGs. According to the reviews I've looked at, it's a fine game..............just nothing close to what people were expecting, because it didn't fulfill all the claims they made about it.
most of the high expectations were set because molyneux blabbed too much while the game was in its initial development stages and nothing was really implemented...molyneux himself admits to being too open with ideas and information about a game that was not even in playable form yet...and now he claims he will be a vault and more professional...personally i think its best for developers to keep pretty tight-lipped early on...what i'm hoping is that fable would have been a game that received a 9.7 rather than a 9.1 if it werent for four years of hype leading up to it...anyway...it may not be the groundbreaking experience but it should fill a void in the RPG department for the XBox much more than adaquatly
Old 09-08-2004, 01:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by log p
most of the high expectations were set because molyneux blabbed too much while the game was in its initial development stages and nothing was really implemented...molyneux himself admits to being too open with ideas and information about a game that was not even in playable form yet...and now he claims he will be a vault and more professional...personally i think its best for developers to keep pretty tight-lipped early on...what i'm hoping is that fable would have been a game that received a 9.7 rather than a 9.1 if it werent for four years of hype leading up to it...anyway...it may not be the groundbreaking experience but it should fill a void in the RPG department for the XBox much more than adaquatly
I understand what you're saying -- but the only reason I was really interested in the game is because of all the innovations it was supposed to have. It still has a few, but overall it doesn't sound like anything especially innovative in RPG terms. For people who want to play RPGs on Xbox I'm sure it'll be the second best behind KOTOR, but I can't see it being as good as some of the games coming out soon for PS2 and PC. The original concepts actually had me considering buying an Xbox to play it, since there aren't really any other games I'd want an Xbox for (I play mostly sports games and a few RPGs on consoles, and I like the PS2 controller far more than the Xbox and Gamecube controllers, so I went with it for my console). Certainly won't happen now, though.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 PM   #26
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
I understand what you're saying -- but the only reason I was really interested in the game is because of all the innovations it was supposed to have. It still has a few, but overall it doesn't sound like anything especially innovative in RPG terms. For people who want to play RPGs on Xbox I'm sure it'll be the second best behind KOTOR, but I can't see it being as good as some of the games coming out soon for PS2 and PC. The original concepts actually had me considering buying an Xbox to play it, since there aren't really any other games I'd want an Xbox for (I play mostly sports games and a few RPGs on consoles, and I like the PS2 controller far more than the Xbox and Gamecube controllers, so I went with it for my console). Certainly won't happen now, though.
lol...fine, dont get an xbox...see if i care!...but seriously fable will still rock im sure and KOTOR already does...then you have KOTOR 2, Jade Empire...which are both XBox exclusive as far as i know for now...though they will probably come out on PC eventually...and you might not have to get an Xbox after all because i've read rumors of Fable 1.5 which is either the first Fable with some updates and new quests, sorta like Morrowind GOTY...or its the PC version, which i would expect it is...so dont worry...now if you want to support the Box anyway thats cool, as its my console of choice...what are all these great PS2 games?...umm...Suikoden 3 and 4?...thats about all i would want to play, unless there are Chrono and Legend of Dragoon sequels coming out...i'd rather get a Cube and play the Zeldas, Metroid, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, etc.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by log p
lol...fine, dont get an xbox...see if i care!...but seriously fable will still rock im sure and KOTOR already does...then you have KOTOR 2, Jade Empire...which are both XBox exclusive as far as i know for now...though they will probably come out on PC eventually...and you might not have to get an Xbox after all because i've read rumors of Fable 1.5 which is either the first Fable with some updates and new quests, sorta like Morrowind GOTY...or its the PC version, which i would expect it is...so dont worry...now if you want to support the Box anyway thats cool, as its my console of choice...what are all these great PS2 games?...umm...Suikoden 3 and 4?...thats about all i would want to play, unless there are Chrono and Legend of Dragoon sequels coming out...i'd rather get a Cube and play the Zeldas, Metroid, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, etc.
Suikoden 4........Metal Gear Solid 3.......GTA: San Andreas........but like I said before, I mostly play sports games so since they all come out on PS2 I don't need any other console. As for KOTOR 2 and Jade Empire, I'm almost positive they are coming out on the PC as well as the Xbox, just like the original KOTOR did. Especially since BioWare is primarily a PC developer, not a console developer. And man, I hate Gamecube. The Zelda games are probably the only games on it I would ever care to play (I don't really like FPS or action games very much, so I'm not a big fan of Metroid).

EDIT:

I meant Suikoden 4, the one coming out next year.

Last edited by edlglide; 09-08-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #28
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
Suikoden 3........Metal Gear Solid 3.......GTA: San Andreas........but like I said before, I mostly play sports games so since they all come out on PS2 I don't need any other console. As for KOTOR 2 and Jade Empire, I'm almost positive they are coming out on the PC as well as the Xbox, just like the original KOTOR did. Especially since BioWare is primarily a PC developer, not a console developer. And man, I hate Gamecube. The Zelda games are probably the only games on it I would ever care to play (I don't really like FPS or action games very much, so I'm not a big fan of Metroid).
well GTA and MGS will both be out on XBox...but i get what you're saying...bioware is a PC developer first and foremost but they seem to be concentrating on console more and more...i doubt they would abandon their PC fanbase, like you say...i just wish Microsoft would give Konami whatever it is they want and bring the Suikoden series over...it would sell like crazy on a system that has relatively few RPGs...why havent they?...it would be best for both sides and help Konami compete with Square Enix...sometimes i get frustrated with the politics of gaming