You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General N-Gage?!?!1 For the love of all that his holy!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 02:59 PM   #61
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Hahahahahaha! You mean there's a guy with an N-Gage?
Well let's just say he's not sure at this point. Since his purchase, he's been questioning the very fabric of reality and other long-held belief systems: the N-Gage-ment is off, the honeymoon is over.

Oops..sorry remixor, took your spot.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:35 PM   #62
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_K
Since his purchase, he's been questioning the very fabric of reality and other long-held belief systems: the N-Gage-ment is off, the honeymoon is over.
*cue laughter track and silly music*
Old 10-10-2003, 03:50 PM   #63
merely human

Nokia's N-Gage Hits the Streets
02:35 PM Oct. 07, 2003 PT

Quote:
HELSINKI/LOS ANGELES -- Nokia, the world's top cell phone maker, on Tuesday launched its much-hyped N-Gage game phone, taking on Japan's Nintendo in a bid to break into the red-hot gaming market and offset its slowing growth in global handset sales.

...The initial response to the N-Gage from consumers and game enthusiasts was mixed.

"For the Hong Kong market, the games are too foreign-style," said Tobi Kwong, editor in chief of the Hong Kong-gaming magazine GameWatch, who rated the phone a six out of 10.

The American game industry press was tougher.

"It's not going to do well with the hard-core gaming crowd, and I haven't seen any hard-core enthusiast press (latch) on to it," said Dan "Shoe" Hsu, editor of Electronic Gaming Monthly, who took particular issue with the game controls and the cumbersome way games are changed.
Wired News
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-11-2003, 01:03 PM   #64
Kosmonaut

Send a message via AIM to Phil25 Send a message via MSN to Phil25

$450!? I can get two consoles for that...with a game...and possibly a DVD remote.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #65
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil25
$450!? I can get two consoles for that...with a game...and possibly a DVD remote.
I could get a new computer (assembled, of course) for that much!!
Old 10-11-2003, 01:47 PM   #66
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Well, Gamespot's first two N-Gage reviews deem Tomb Raider and Pandemonium as "mediocre" and "poor", respectively, so that should help to dispel bribe rumours...

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-11-2003, 02:46 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Well, Gamespot's first two N-Gage reviews deem Tomb Raider and Pandemonium as "mediocre" and "poor", respectively, so that should help to dispel bribe rumours...
I bet those major gaming sites weren't very enthusiastic about putting up N-Gage sections, but after being smothered by countless requests and prss releases from Nokia's PR department I'm sure they gave in. And now they'll have their revenge by reviewing the games in a just and swift manner. (Which in turn will make Nokia's PR department even more angered and pissed, as if they weren't already just by trying to promote that damned ph... err, "game deck".)
Old 10-11-2003, 02:57 PM   #68

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Yeah, I certainly don't envy the jobs of Nokia's marketing employees right now...

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-11-2003, 07:58 PM   #69
A Servicable Villain

I think the X-Box eventually sold well because there may have been actual good hardwire inside that oversized crate. N-Gage seems to tell a different story, ergo (I've seen Reloaded, does it show?) it will fail.
And I'd love that because I hate the damn thing. I utterly despise mobile phones (only since a few weeks do I have one out of strict necessity because I'm living on my own now), and I always will.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:39 PM   #70

The Xbox also has a lot of good games, including Halo, THE Xbox game and probably its biggest seller and biggest incentive to get the system (until Psychonauts, naturally). The N-Gage, on the other hand, has some shitty ports of has-been console games as well as a lot of stuff you could just as well get on a Game Boy Advance, which already has essentially the largest library of games of any console. Which newcomer to the world of consoles will fare better? Not much of a contest.

Old 10-11-2003, 08:53 PM   #71
A Servicable Villain

Semi-offtopic; I actually kind of enjoyed Pandemonium @_@ it was a bit too difficult for my taste at the time, but I thought it was a nice platformer.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:59 PM   #72

I thought it was mildly fun. It's the only console platform game I ever owned. It was a birthday gift from someone who obviously didn't know me very well

Old 10-12-2003, 04:08 AM   #73
Mostly absent

I have nothing against cell phones, but portable gaming devices just isn't me thing.
I would never play games on a regular cell phone let alone on a gaming device like the N-Cage. And I can easily include any kind of Gameboy device on my "would never buy list" too. The screen is small, the graphics crappy and the sounds are irritating, and most important of all, the immersion you get when playing a game on your PC isn't possible to get when playing on a handheld gaming device.
Well, that's just my opinion.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:47 AM   #74
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I think I could get a decent phone and a Pocket PC for that price...
I said before that N-Gage would be the new X-Box, but I don't think the N-Gage will have a "Halo" to save him....
Old 10-12-2003, 09:30 AM   #75
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I'm looking out for GamePark32, which is supposed to land to Europe (UK, I think?) in november, at a cost of 149?, that machine hasn't got that many original games, but it has a strong emulation scene.

Amiga C64 Atari 2600 etc.

I'm a bit excited about it.

http://english.gamepark.com/
Old 10-12-2003, 01:42 PM   #76

Pandemonium and Tomb Raider certainly weren't bad games (Tomb Raider the better of the two at their times of release, but well). It's just that they're so horribly, horribly old. Tomb Raider is now 7 years old, don't know with Pandemonium (Probably the same, perhaps 6 years).

N-Gage doesn't have any original software, just ports. Therefore it's very hard for it to actually have a "killer title" for buyers to latch on to. Red Faction, a game that Nokia used to hype heavily, isn't even out until December, I think... truly pathetic. You'd suppose they actually wanted to move hardware by releasing a lot of launch titles, no?

As a hardcore gamer, I have absolutely no interest in purchasing a gaming console/device that has only ports of games already released on other platforms. Not to mention if they're more than 3 year old...
Old 10-12-2003, 08:40 PM   #77
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

For the love of god and all that is holy!! My Anus Is Bleeding!!

Sorry, the thread title made me immediately think of Rejected.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:41 PM   #78

I AM A BANANA.

Old 10-12-2003, 08:42 PM   #79

Mah spewn ish tew big! (sorry...)
Old 10-13-2003, 06:24 AM   #80
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil25
What are you talking about? HK$450?

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"