You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
God damn it.

It is really really shit how safe Tim Burton is at this point. I don't think he's changed at all really, except that his films are bigger, but that's the problem. Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice were at least different looking when they came out, maybe people thought they were a little "too weird" (I know my parents did), but at least nothing else really looked like them. Now we have films of Harry Potter, Lemony Snicket, the horrible Dr Seuss adaptations and even the goddamn Scooby Doo movie featuring the exact same twisted-ramshackle-60's-gothic look that Burton uses, and it's become really dull. It's just another completely safe inoffensive Hollywood Look that every production designer and cinematographer has to be able to pull out of their ass at the drop of a hat. Burton needs some new goddamn moves.

I was so ****ing bored while watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that it's ridiculous.

God damn it.

You do realize you are blaiming Tim Burton for creating cliché movies because other movie-makers have copies his style to death. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that seems a rather skewed way of shifting the blaim, if anything you should point your anger towards those who rehashed it in the first place, not the creator.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #22
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I saw the movie last week, and I loved it.

I loved how the Oompa Loompa's were portrayed closer to how they were described in the book (A tribe of african pygmies, I think. Although Deep Roy is actually from around India, I think.), and how they did not scare me like the one's from the Gene Wilder movie scare me (I haven't even seen that movie, and they still scare me). Also, you have to admit that the Doris part was funny.

I also love the crass contrast between the factory, and Willy Wonka himself.
You can see it especially in the sugar landscape. There's all these bright, happy colours. They're shrill, they're strong, and shout at you. Yet the person who has supposedly created all this has the most sickly teint of skin. All the other people in the room have relatively healthy skin colours (even Charlie's grandfather). Yet Willy Wonka has very grey skin, and doesn't really seem to belong there - His clothes and everything tell you that he does, and you know that it is his place. But if you look at his face you think that even though he created all this, there is something wrong. It seems as if he is not able to enjoy it. As if he is missing something.

(I couldn't find a good picture with him and the other people showing those colours. Apparently pictures don't capture the difference very well - or more likely they were shot on set, so that it's not a picture of the final result.)

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 10-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #23
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I also love the crass contrast between the factory, and Willy Wonka himself.
Yep! The contrasts make this movie remarkable, in my opinion.
Also the contrast of the big, well-organized (seemingly cold, from the outside) factory/company, and the passion and colourfulness that's behind it (especially inside Willy Wonka's mind).

BTW, you'll hate me for this, but Willy Wonka really reminds me of Michael Jackson.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:38 PM   #24
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
God damn it. Yes. **** yeah. I hated Burton for turning Harlequin of Hate into a rational crime boss. It's on, mother****er. Tim mother****in' Burton, God damn it.
that's the most vivid message i've read on a forum ever! funny stuff.

but seriously the film was crap, so unoriginal and not very entertaining. the songs also were not exactly a new lease on things.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 10-16-2005, 06:17 AM   #25
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyToy
BTW, you'll hate me for this, but Willy Wonka really reminds me of Michael Jackson.

*opens mouth and calls out* Okay, folks. MOB STONING!
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 10-16-2005, 08:25 AM   #26
The Impostor

Tim Burton's Batman films are still the best of the bunch. The new one was awful. In fact I might even prefer Batman Forever and Batman & Robin to it, and they were pitiful tongue-in-cheek abominations. No one gives a shit how close they are to the comics, since the continuity is consistently messed up and it's all the product of hundreds of different writers, not one.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump
Tim Burton's Batman films are still the best of the bunch. The new one was awful. In fact I might even prefer Batman Forever and Batman & Robin to it, and they were pitiful tongue-in-cheek abominations. No one gives a shit how close they are to the comics, since the continuity is consistently messed up and it's all the product of hundreds of different writers, not one.

Did I hear 'tongue-in-cheek'?

I want to see the TV-series.

Gotta love Cat woman's car.

Gotta love Bat-Girl's frilly motorcycle.

And certainly gotta love Malibu Bat...Err, Surfing Batman in yellow boxers.

-

Old 10-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #28
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I want to see the TV-series.
What, you've never seen it? Really? There's also a movie, definitely worth getting.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
What, you've never seen it? Really? There's also a movie, definitely worth getting.

I think they never showed it in Germany. They only ever showed one of the cartoon series (which was kind of scary sometimes), and I preferred watching Spiderman and friends, if anything (which was not scary at all). Most of the time I watched "Ulysses 31" or "Captain Future", anyway.

But I mostly heard good things of the series.

-

Old 10-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #30
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
That's just Burton's style. A lot of artists have distinctive aspects in all of their works that become their signature. The visual style of these films is Burton's signature.

As for the film itself, well, the first Willy Wonka movie was probably the most frightening thing I've ever seen. And this one has Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. So I think I'll pass.

mag
I understand that its his signature. He's not doing anything new with it to keep it fresh though. "Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" doesnt bring anything new to the table that Burton hasn't done already 10 years ago. I feel the same way about the (thankfully cancelled) American McGee's Oz. We already got American McGee's Alice in Wonderland... so how about we see a little growth and, you know, creativity from this so called distictive artist. Its not creative to just take stoires and repeatedly re-tell them through the exact same filter.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 10-16-2005, 01:44 PM   #31
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I must be the only person on this planet who still hasn't seen this movie.

One for the DVD, methinks .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:39 PM   #32
Dungeon Master

<-------------------------------, RLacey

EDIT: I loved almost everything about the film, from Depp's out of this planet performance, to art direction (is it Burton's fault he has copycats?), to unexpected movie allusions (especially the Fly one). Not to mention squirrels. One of my favourite Burton's creations to date, if not necessarily on the level of his most memorable masterpieces (and, Cobra, THE worst? I mean, have you seen Planet of the Apes? ). Note: I'm not familiar with Dahl's book.

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 10-16-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #33
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey

Wow, there's two of us! I haven't seen it, but I've got me genuine movie prop chocolate bar right here!
Old 10-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #34
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I haven't seen it, but I've got me genuine movie prop chocolate bar right here!
I suppose it's not edible? They were giving away real free bars to every ticket here in Poland (at least where I went to see the movie).
Old 10-16-2005, 10:53 PM   #35
Epinionated.

No, it's 100% plastic. The lights would've melted the real deal! I'll take a photo if you want.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:17 AM   #36
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

Yes, please, SJH!
Old 10-17-2005, 06:50 AM   #37
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey

I haven't seen it either. I lost all enthusiasm for the film the moment I saw that first trailer (the one with the song). I'm much more enthusiastic about Mirrormask, at the moment. Neil Gaiman + Henson Company
Old 10-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #38
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Neither have I seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yet. One thing is pretty sure though, even if this movie turns out to be bad, it will never be as bad as The Planet of the Apes, now THAT was bad Burton movie. It's actually the only Burton movie that I don't like at all.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Neither have I seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yet. One thing is pretty sure though, even if this movie turns out to be bad, it will never be as bad as The Planet of the Apes, now THAT was bad Burton movie. It's actually the only Burton movie that I don't like at all.

I'll always remember that sketch on a German comedy show where they held an interview about "Planet of the Apes" - from the Apes' view. One part of it showed how a beautiful Ape person was transformed by make up people into an "ugly hairless human". It was hilarious!

...I just remembered, that show was the comedy series "Die Wochenschau" (basically a fake News Show. It had such things as "Rickies Pop Sofa", "Sex TV" [and it's moderator Brisco Schneider], Early retiredment case Herbert Görgens and his attempst to get on TV ["Do I get on TV now?!"] , and the hilarious Marco Rima [who is one of the people that seem to possess a natural talent to be funny...and extremely silly] and many more)...oh how I miss that show...

'Sex TV' Moderator Brisko Schneider (Bastian Pastewka)...he was not gay. At least I don't think he is. I think nobody really knows *what* exactly he is.

-

Old 10-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #40
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Jazhara! You have a talent for gems! Thank you for reminding me of that show. It was so awesome. And the picture you found is pure gold...
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢