You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Harry Potter 6!!!1111

View Poll Results: Are you going to buy the sixth Harry Potter book?
Yes, as soon as I can! 12 31.58%
Yes, eventually. 7 18.42%
Nah, I'll borrow it. 5 13.16%
I'll steal it. 0 0%
I might read it. 4 10.53%
No, I won't read it. 9 23.68%
-Other- 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #121
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I just realized that the french version of Harry Potter 1 is actually called "Harry Potter Ă* l'Ă©cole de Sorciers" - Harry Potter at the School of Sorcerers.

So the american change of the name is not *that* great, in comparison to the french change of name.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #122
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I just realized that the french version of Harry Potter 1 is actually called "Harry Potter Ă* l'Ă©cole de Sorciers" - Harry Potter at the School of Sorcerers.

So the american change of the name is not *that* great, in comparison to the french change of name.

-
What's the German version's name? I would presume a translation of the English version, given your surprise at the French title, but it could be something different again...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Last edited by RLacey; 07-19-2005 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Curse my spelling!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #123

I always found it interesting to watch people reading the books in my school.

You see, I go to an international school, and many of them read the book in their native language.

There are the people that read the English or American version. But then there are some reading the german version, the Korean version, the dutch, the russian, the chinese, the hebrew, japanese version (many of them use the american cover), french and spanish versions. All are reading it.

It is strange seeing this familiar book which you think you know, but with a title which you don't understand, or in a completely different writing.

It's really amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
What's the German version's name? I would presume a translation of the English version, given your surprise at the French title, but it could be somethign different again...
The german title is "Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen" - "Harry Potter and the Stone of the Wise". "Stone of the Wise", that's the name of the Philosophers Stone in german. (Wise is plural.)

-

Old 07-19-2005, 03:16 PM   #124
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I've never noticed a problem with the binding of the US versions... all of mine have held together fine and I've loaned them each to a couple friends.

The little illustrations at the beginning of chapters are not my favorite thing in the world, though, since they tend to be illustrations of things I haven't yet read about. "Oh, I wonder how that little bundle of worms and seaweed will fit into the story... oh I guess it lets him breathe underwater. Why did the book tell me that existed using that illustration before I read about it? Oh well, it was a decently well executed picture of a ball of worms and seaweed, I guess, so there's that at least."

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 07-19-2005, 03:20 PM   #125
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I've never noticed a problem with the binding of the US versions... all of mine have held together fine and I've loaned them each to a couple friends.

The little illustrations at the beginning of chapters are not my favorite thing in the world, though, since they tend to be illustrations of things I haven't yet read about. "Oh, I wonder how that little bundle of worms and seaweed will fit into the story... oh I guess it lets him breathe underwater. Why did the book tell me that existed using that illustration before I read about it? Oh well, it was a decently well executed picture of a ball of worms and seaweed, I guess, so there's that at least."
I'm obviously going to have to go to Amazon.com and use the look-inside-the-book feature. Can anyone give me a page number for a chapter mid-way through the novel?

Old 07-19-2005, 03:44 PM   #126
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm obviously going to have to go to Amazon.com and use the look-inside-the-book feature. Can anyone give me a page number for a chapter mid-way through the novel?
I've got all six books in the American edition; which one do you want pictures from? Or shall I just pick at random?

(I only have the first four in the British editions as of yet - the adult versions - and I must say I really like the new, improved UK adult cover design. The British children's covers, though, seem to me far inferior to the American ones...)

edit: My UK copies' paper is far coarser to the touch than my US ones'. Plus the American versions use interesting fonts that represent flashing signs or handwritten letters, so that, for example, Dumbledore's writing is different from Hagrid's, which is different from Snape's.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
Plus the American versions use interesting fonts that represent flashing signs or handwritten letters, so that, for example, Dumbledore's writing is different from Hagrid's, which is different from Snape's.

Oh yes, I remember that. Didn't they even make it look like there were blotches from teardrops, in some of Hagrid's letters?

-

Old 07-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #128
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Oh yes, I remember that. Didn't they even make it look like there were blotches from teardrops, in some of Hagrid's letters?
Heh, yes.

Besides the issue of "translation" from British spelling and slang, however, there are also the issues of correct grammar; mainly, commas and quote marks.

British usage as seen frequently, including in HP British editions:
He opened the letter, said 'I don't believe this', and turned white as a sheet.

Common American usage:
He opened the letter, said "I don't believe this," and turned white as a sheet.

It's very uncommon here in the US to find books with the former usage, and as dialogue is so frequent in Harry Potter, it might be a distraction to readers old and young who don't know punctuation rules abroad.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:06 PM   #129
The Thread™ will die.

I've always wondered quite what the point of releasing the Harry Potter books with adult covers is. Am I supposed to be ashamed that I enjoy children's books? And if not - if it really is solely that the adult cover looks spiffier - then why not release the books with only the adult cover?