You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The roadtrip photo album (Chicago to Oregon)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 01:10 PM   #21
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
*g* I'm too shy. And chit chatting with local people about the weather and Lyonerwurst (local delicacy) isn't my kind of thing. There isn't much to see anyway... It's a very small federal state.
Don't let the smallness fool you. Smallness might be just a disguise for depth. I made it a point that big R and I try to stop and eat at local places. Somewhere in Wyoming we stopped for lunch at this roadside diner. The food was okay (nothing to write home about), but the 'company' was awesome! The waitress was as seasoned as they come, and she always had half the patrons laughing for one reason or another.

And then there were the two Little Old Ladies at the next table. You could tell they've been best friends for centuries, I could almost hear one starting a sentence and the other finishing it. They just sat there, drinking coffee and eating donuts, and they'd comment on the most mundane things (that diner was probably their habitual Sunday-spot-after-church). I wanted to put them in a gift box and take them with me.

When big R and got up to leave, one of them said, "You left your......", and the other one said, "......sunglasses on the chair." I was in love!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-12-2005, 01:31 PM   #22
capsized.

LOL! That's quite a story! I't almost like a road movie set come to life right before your eyes. Of course, we've all grown up on lots of American movies over here, so this scene isn't too hard to imagine.

If I'd stop for dinner tomorrow, I'd end up at Mc D.. Small federel state, oh yes, but almost every town with a population of about 30,000 has its fast food temple.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #23
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It was sweet, watching the bison just being........well, bison.
I can imagine. I love animals, too.

I don't know if you knew, but there is a European species of bison, which in my opinion is a beautiful, beautiful creature (and a sort of zoological symbol of Poland):

yet they can be only seen in strict preserve due to being on the verge of extinction (well, technically, they've gone extinct in all natural habitats at the dawn of twentieth century, but the scientists managed to introduce them back - with a little help of those few bisons that survived in zoos ). I was shown a small herd - of course guarded by the fence much like one on the photograph above - on a trip I once took. Ever since I dreamt of witnessing a pack of those beasts roaming around (almost) free...
Old 06-12-2005, 01:46 PM   #24
merely human

Oooh, pretty European bison.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #25
capsized.

Do they "Mooooh!" ? I'm hungry now.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #26
merely human

Watch it, Kyrandian might hear.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #27
capsized.

Hm....
Ah, much better now.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #28
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Great photos, Trep! It looks like you had a lovely time.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #29
pain is love

Looks like one hell of a trip trep

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 06-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #30
merely human

Oh baby, you should have been there. The bison babes were just melting when I mentioned your name:

Trep: "mitsie, baby!"

bison babes: "AAAAAIIIIEEEEEEHHHH!!!!"

*THUMP*