You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Saw The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #41
The Impostor

A friend of mine made this astute observation. He called the 'Point Of View' gun a terrible hollywood device to clearly show the audience what the characters are feeling. And yeah, in the case of Trillian, it was like that. (That was a terrible scene!)
Old 04-29-2005, 11:19 PM   #42

The thing is, the POV gun was probably the most Adams-esque of all the additions in concept. I just hated the way it was used.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:59 PM   #43
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I thought they hammed it up a little bit, but I'd place a decent bet on the fact that that scene was largely written by Adams, or if the dialogue wasn't his, that scene was the reason he wrote the POV gun into the script.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-30-2005, 12:23 AM   #44

Oh, I agree it was probably written by him. I don't think the idea was bad, I think the execution was. Besides, what works wonderfully in written form or on the radio can (and often does) fall flat on its face in a movie. I think a few scenes here fell victim to that. The POV gun would have been brilliant in written form, but on screen it's just kind of sappy. I also think the direction during this scene didn't really help.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:59 AM   #45
The Impostor

Yes, they should've only used it for the Marvin bit – if at all. They could have neatly explained it with the guide and it would have been much better.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:48 AM   #46
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

*risks getting clobbered to death...* I've not read the book yet...
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 04-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #47
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Pinksie, and everybody actually: What do you think are the odds that the English Cinema in Frankfurt will show "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" in the Sneak Preview on Monday? Or at least Episode III (Star Wars)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
*risks getting clobbered to death...* I've not read the book yet...

Then get to it already!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-01-2005, 09:38 AM   #48
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Pinksie, and everybody actually: What do you think are the odds that the English Cinema in Frankfurt will show "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" in the Sneak Preview on Monday? Or at least Episode III (Star Wars)?
Pretty high, I'd guess, if they wouldn't they'd risk "disappointing" a lot of people. I say 'disappointing' because few people would actually say anything as afterall, you're not supposed to go into a sneak preview expecting anything. Does anyone really go into one of those with no expectations, though, or at least rough guesses? Eh.

I'd like to stress that I don't know, though. I've not even been to a sneak preview in my life before.

Quote:
Then get to it already!
Yes ma'am! Right away, ma'am! *flees*
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 05-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #49

Quote:
Pretty high, I'd guess, if they wouldn't they'd risk "disappointing" a lot of people. I say 'disappointing' because few people would actually say anything as afterall, you're not supposed to go into a sneak preview expecting anything. Does anyone really go into one of those with no expectations, though, or at least rough guesses? Eh.

I'd like to stress that I don't know, though. I've not even been to a sneak preview in my life before.
Thanks, Pinksie. I wish I could be absolutely sure, because I want to bring my towel, when watching "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". It would look pretty strange, if I brought it to "Star Wars", though.

Quote:
Yes ma'am! Right away, ma'am! *flees*
Good girl.

-

Old 05-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #50

Quote:
Thanks, Pinksie. I wish I could be absolutely sure, because I want to bring my towel, when watching "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". It would look pretty strange, if I brought it to "Star Wars", though.
When I saw the movie, a good 25% of the audience had a towel. And the theater was full (most showings had sold out).

Orlando is full of geeks, I guess.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
When I saw the movie, a good 25% of the audience had a towel. And the theater was full (most showings had sold out).

Orlando is full of geeks, I guess.

Cool. It's just the question: Do the Star Wars Geeks win, or the H2G2 Geeks?

It's terrible that H2G2 comes to german cinemas only from 6th June. I want to see it before that. So, wish me luck, so that I will see it this Monday.

-

Old 05-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #52

Is it worth buying soda and popcorn when seeing the movie? The small combo is nearly $10 (!) here. But I see movies only seldomly, so it wouldn't be that big a hit on me.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #53
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

When I went to see the movie, it was filled with kids age ten and younger with their parents. I assume the PG rating caused parents by the bunches to drag their kids down to see it. All the kids there, from what I could tell, were totally bored and didn't "get" any of Adams' humor, which doesn't really surprise me.

I think I want to like the movie more than I actually did. Like someone earlier mentioned, it would flip flop back and fourth between brilliance and....well, not so good sections. The Arthur-Trillian romance in the movie is forced, painful, and will repeatedly hit you over the head until you want to scream at the movie to shut up about it. While I know Douglas planned for it to be there, it is really executed horribly.

Pro's and Con's:

Spoiler:

PRO's
-The Vogons and aliens in general looked very good. Infinitely better than anything you see in the new Star Wars trash.
-Art direction in the movie is awesome.
-Sam Rockwell IS Zaphod.
-Ford, Arthur, Marvin, Slartibartfast, Eddie, the Whale, and the Guide \ Narrator are all portrayed well.
-Improbability Drive scenes are all really cool and pretty darn funny.
-The scenes within Magrathea's planet construction works are really nifty and fun.
-The So Long and Thanks For All The Fish opening is enjoyable.

CON's
-The Arthur-Trillian love story is painful to watch, as the two casted in the roles have no chemistry and the movie deems it necessary to remind you of their UNDYING LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER at every turn.
-The plot digression with John Malkovich just seems pointless.
-The Guide and Ford are turned into background material by the end.
-The "Earth is Back, Everything can be the same again if we want!" ending is pretty weak.
-And the scenes with Deep Thought....just seem to be lacking something.

Overall.....I wouldn't say the movie is bad, but I'd probably give it a six out of ten score. It is fun, but lacking.

Last edited by JoeX111; 05-01-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:04 PM   #54

I just saw the movie. I thought it was decent, though not as good as I was hoping. I agree with all of Joe's complaints. The little vacation that Ford and the Guide took would probably be my biggest problem with the movie.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:51 PM   #55

I just saw the movie, and I thought it was good. I thought the jokes were funny, I liked the story, and I liked the portrayal of the universe. Not too many things I disliked.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #56

Saw it again today. It was much more enjoyable this time, since I already knew exactly what to expect.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:04 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX111
When I went to see the movie, it was filled with kids age ten and younger with their parents. I assume the PG rating caused parents by the bunches to drag their kids down to see it. All the kids there, from what I could tell, were totally bored and didn't "get" any of Adams' humor, which doesn't really surprise me.
What really surprised me, at the theater that I went to, was how all the previews and commercials at the beginning were marketed towards children. All of the trailers were for kids movies. I thought that was pretty weird, considering that I was probably the youngest person in the theater (20).
Old 05-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #58
The Impostor

By the way, the reason the Malkovich sub-plot seemed pointless was because (I think) they cut out his climax. In an early version I heard that he came back at the end and there was a fight of sorts etc. The people in the preview screenings apparantly didn't like it, so they cut it out. And rather then re-film all the scenes where they mention him, they just kept his opening scene in there.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #59

I dreamt something funny: I was in the cinema, and watching H2G2. Suddenly I realized that I didn't have my towel with me. I ended up clinging to the towel which my sister had with her, which was a very small towel (intended to be used by guests to dry their hands, mainly. A bit like the paper ones, but made from towel fabric). Pretty weird.

I hope that telling this dream will prevent it from actually happening (you're not supposed to tell your dreams, because then they won't come true.).

-

Old 05-02-2005, 08:08 AM   #60
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
What really surprised me, at the theater that I went to, was how all the previews and commercials at the beginning were marketed towards children. All of the trailers were for kids movies. I thought that was pretty weird, considering that I was probably the youngest person in the theater (20).
What really amused me was the fact that we got all of those same kiddie trailers as well......then this preview for a movie called "Dark Water", which is apparently a horror film in the style of The Ring. I'll bet the little ones loved that.