You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The da Vinci Code

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2003, 11:40 PM   #21
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_K
I see your point, honestly. So the title sucks, big deal. Yet, if the book is a work of fiction, don't the same principles apply to the title? If indeed 'da Vinci' means from Vinci, wouldn't The Da Vinci Code indicate that the code, since it was Leonardo's brainchild, is also from Vinci? If we can plead the language barrier, give the same courtesy to Mr. Brown. The first ??k advance check from the publisher indicates someone thought this was justified. No beans to me either way, I don't pretend to have the sensitive skin of one higher learned where things like that chaff my intellect.
I absolutely promise this will be my last post in this thread (well, at least my last one relating to this name business), but the code would not have originated from Vinci, since that is not where Leonardo really did his work. He was just born there. Also, a work of fiction does not give license to make factual inaccuracies unless they are part of the world of the fiction. In an admittedly much more extreme example, it would be like having a guy be able to simply fly around wherever he wants in an otherwise serious and realistic book, for no reason other than "it's a work of fiction." Brown claimed to have done extensive research for his book (and after reading it, I'm sure he did research at least a fair amount of what he talked about), so it seems odd that after most reading a good deal about Leanardo, he would have learned how to correctly refer to him. Obviously, the point is entirely moot, since there is no chance of the book's title being changed; it is IIRC a bestseller and it would be pure idiocy to make such a "correction" now. I just wanted to edify some AG readers in my original post, and justify my claim in my later ones. I'm not some crazy Leonardo fanatic or anything.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-03-2003, 01:23 AM   #22
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

I'll make you post once more muahaha: What would you have the title be? It has to be short. It has to be blatantly obvious that we're referring to Leo da Vinci.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-03-2003, 01:27 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
I'll make you post once more muahaha:
Fine, whatever

Quote:
What would you have the title be? It has to be short. It has to be blatantly obvious that we're referring to Leo da Vinci.
I don't know, but I don't think that's relevent because the book really didn't center around Leonardo da Vinci (or "his" code, which really wasn't his at all) as much as the title implies (and the people in this thread seem to think). In fact, I don't even think the title is a good title at all, semantics aside.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-03-2003, 01:32 AM   #24
Joop Sloop

*snif*

Still no reaction on the booktip I gave

anyone?
Old 10-03-2003, 01:34 AM   #25

Cryptonomicon is a title I've been meaning to read for a while. I'm sure I'll get around to it. I've read one other book by the same author, entitled The Big U. It's a pretty blatant, clever, and humorous satire on college/university life, and I really enjoyed it.

Old 10-03-2003, 01:40 AM   #26
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

The Big U is pretty rare, I thought (unless they re-released it). A friend of mine's a huge fan of the author (Neal Stephensen? the Snow Crash guy), and always tries to get me to read Cryptonomicon, 'cause he thinks I'll "get" the mathy parts.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-03-2003, 01:43 AM   #27

I admit, I don't really know if The Big U is rare, but it can't be that rare because [URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0380816032//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20[/url] it is on Amazon. And yeah, the author is Neal Stephenson, who also wrote Snow Crash.

Old 10-03-2003, 02:35 AM   #28
Joop Sloop

He also wrote diamond age, also a brilliant book.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:18 PM   #29
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I have Cryptonomicon sitting here on my bookshelf with the bookmark 20 pages in, right where I left it about 6 months ago. I should finish it.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 11-02-2005, 01:27 PM   #30

Default Dude, I totally agree! Everyone is so excited to think there is some conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Knowing what I do of Leonardo and his mind and his art - I am reluctant to read something that while giving his art some deeper meaning, banalizes it to the level of a secret message. Templars! Secret message! Spooky! Wooooh!

BTW, da Vinci means from Vinci. It is kinda silly to name the book Da Vinci Code - when it is in the spirit of the English language to put the prepositional phrase after the bit it modifies; Code da Vinci would work better - even though Leonardo really lived and worked in Florence, Milan and shortly before his death in France... He was born in Vinci and hence the name...

I am not liking this book, the very title annoys me
Seriously, any one who knows Leonardo and his operations, he did not have Fu**ing time to hid messages! He never finished a project, which was consistent throughout his lifetime. Idiots, if you buy into this whole "theory", which is exactly what it is a theory....then your dumber than shit. Do your research B4 claming things that are clearly an IGNORANT OPINION

Last edited by fov; 11-02-2005 at 02:12 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 11-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #31
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us.

Although I must say, bumping up a two-year old thread to call the people who posted on it dumber than shit is an interesting way to make a first impression...
Old 11-02-2005, 03:54 PM   #32
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin
Seriously, any one who knows Leonardo and his operations, he did not have Fu**ing time to hid messages! He never finished a project, which was consistent throughout his lifetime. Idiots, if you buy into this whole "theory", which is exactly what it is a theory....then your dumber than shit. Do your research B4 claming things that are clearly an IGNORANT OPINION
Do I know you from somewhere?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #33
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin
Raged.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:43 AM   #34
Chris Barraclough

Just finished reading Angels and Demons, which I thought was better than Da Vinci Code. It went a little overboard with the twists at the end though!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:50 PM   #35
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

OMFG!!
What is wrong with everyone (well, mostly everyone) in this thread?

You do realise that you are arguing about a work of fiction don't you??

I thought everyone knew by now that Dan Brown used the same sources as the authors of THBTHG to create his reasonably compelling fictional novel!
And we all know now that the majority of those sources are slightly dubious

Who cares about the origins of "da Vinci"? This is not a historical document - it is what it is - an interesting story - nothing more, nothing less

GAFL
Old 11-04-2005, 12:32 AM   #36
Chris Barraclough

I was just sick of the number of documentaries that our crappy TV channels put on when it became popular, 'tracing the legends to see if they're factual' and all that b*llocks.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-04-2005, 08:06 AM   #37
Barroom hero

I agree, the Cryptonomicon is great!
History, war, geeky stuff and strong narration... I want more of it.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #38
After 2 years...

I accept, I haven't read this book; I just had it "said" to me by others.
I can't actually read a book that in the first page accepts as true, things that are not, and actually builds a whole "mystery" around them.
For me the "da Vinci Code" is just a cheap “populist(?)” book.
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 11-05-2005, 03:11 AM   #39
Chris Barraclough

It's a good book, and worth a read, as long as you don't for some reason think it's all based on fact like some people do, despite Dan Brown saying in interviews he made it all up. It is, however, the most over-hyped book ever.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-05-2005, 04:23 AM   #40
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
It is, however, the most over-hyped book ever.
No, that's The Lord of the Rings ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.