You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Back from Paris, and back with "IGOR"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #21
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Tell me, how does one manage to sleep while walking about town?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:30 AM   #22
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Tell me, how does one manage to sleep while walking about town?

I was just looking down. Or blinking.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #23
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Pah. The camera never lies; you were sleeping!

Nice hat, though.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:29 AM   #24
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Awesome pictures, it looks like you had a great time.

One of my goals in life is visiting Paris some day... mmmh, do you think it could be humanly possible to visit most of the city's landmarks in one day? Please give me the hard facts, I still have a few months to train physically and mentally.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talas
Awesome pictures, it looks like you had a great time.

One of my goals in life is visiting Paris some day... mmmh, do you think it could be humanly possible to visit most of the city's landmarks in one day? Please give me the hard facts, I still have a few months to train physically and mentally.

Most of the cities landmarks? I doubt it. There's just too much. Sacre Coeur is pretty far away. The Marais is a part of the city, and though you could walk from the Western side of the loop the River Seine makes, to the Eastern side of the loop, you will be extremely exhausted after that. I should know, because that's just what my mother and I did one day (Fields of Mars/Eiffel Tower to the "Jardin des Plantes" with the Museum of Natural History.). And the Place de la Concorde and the Arc de Triomphe is on the other side. You could go by Metro, though. I suggest buying one of the booklets of tickets (one ticket for one journey). With the Metro it might be possible. I wouldn't trust the Busses too much, because we found them not to be as reliable as punctual as the Metros (and it's a bit confusing too).

-

Old 02-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #26
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Quote:
Most of the cities landmarks? I doubt it. There's just too much. Sacre Coeur is pretty far away. The Marais is a part of the city, and though you could walk from the Western side of the loop the River Seine makes, to the Eastern side of the loop, you will be extremely exhausted after that. I should know, because that's just what my mother and I did one day (Fields of Mars/Eiffel Tower to the "Jardin des Plantes" with the Museum of Natural History.). And the Place de la Concorde and the Arc de Triomphe is on the other side. You could go by Metro, though. I suggest buying one of the booklets of tickets (one ticket for one journey). With the Metro it might be possible. I wouldn't trust the Busses too much, because we found them not to be as reliable as punctual as the Metros (and it's a bit confusing too).
Don't worry, I used to run half-marathons, I think I can handle some of the walking... and of course, I could use the metro, yeah, I think it's better that way

Mmmh, you said the travel in train from Germany is seven hours, right? I think I'm going to have to do more research if I want to pull this little detour. So much to see, so little time, *sniff*... thank you J
Old 02-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #27

Awesome, glad to see you had fun and get to see the sights Did you also get up on the roof of Musee D'Orsay? There's a little cafeteria there with an amazing view of the city. I also bought a cd-rom there like 8 years ago which had a first person 360 degree slideshow of the museum, kind of cool, it had all the regular paintings on there with a nice little encyclopedia, learned a lot from that (way back then I was really into art). Did you also get a sketch done of yourself at Montmarte/Sacre Coeur? If so please share
Old 02-26-2006, 02:06 AM   #28
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
I also bought a cd-rom there like 8 years ago which had a first person 360 degree slideshow of the museum, kind of cool, it had all the regular paintings on there with a nice little encyclopedia, learned a lot from that (way back then I was really into art).
I remember finding a copy of that at a Hypermarket for €0.50 or something...

Old 02-26-2006, 02:46 AM   #29

We drank hot chocolate at the Musée D'Orsay, but the Cafeteria was closed. It was still nice though. I didn't get a sketch taken at Sacre Coeur, even though we were asked some times. We bought a nice black Beret sans "Paris" on it.

-

Old 02-26-2006, 02:51 AM   #30
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

I thought there was a rule that all tourist-bought berets had to have lots of writing on them to ensure that you'd never actually wear them...

Old 02-26-2006, 04:34 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I remember finding a copy of that at a Hypermarket for €0.50 or something...
Talk about obscure pieces of software
Quote:
We drank hot chocolate at the Musée D'Orsay, but the Cafeteria was closed. It was still nice though. I didn't get a sketch taken at Sacre Coeur, even though we were asked some times. We bought a nice black Beret sans "Paris" on it.

-
Too bad, that view is awesome - not that you can't get a nice skyline view of Paris from the Eifeltower ofcourse. My niece got me an absurdistic sketch when we were at Sacre Coeur - I'll see if I can find and scan it sometime
Old 02-26-2006, 04:37 AM   #32
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Talk about obscure pieces of software
Heh. My French isn't nearly good enough to understand half of it, mind you .

Old 02-27-2006, 01:11 AM   #33

Quote:
No. Not if you plan of remembering anything and surviving the day, that is.
I think you have to spend a week at least to really feel like you've seen Paris.

Jaz: Great pictures... There's one where (unless I'm mistaken) you're on the "Pont des Arts". I love this bridge. In the summer, it's completely crowded with (young) people sitting, eating, drinking, talking, playing the guitar. And it's got a terrific view on the Seine and all the beautiful buildings that line it.

Did you go up Notre Dame? That's pretty sweet.

EDIT: The Père (not Pére) Lachaise is not your typically french cemetary. The graves are all packed (by the way, some people choose cremation, but not the majority) because there's just not enough room in Paris. In Paris, everything is packed against everything, anyway.

Last edited by Ninth; 02-27-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
EDIT: The Père (not Pére) Lachaise is not your typically french cemetary. The graves are all packed (by the way, some people choose cremation, but not the majority) because there's just not enough room in Paris. In Paris, everything is packed against everything, anyway.
Even below Paris everything is packed I really want to visit those "plague" tombs one day, and if I give in to my nieces and counins' pressure, I probably will soon Any other recommendations if I go there soon? I've already seen pretty much every 'major' tourist attraction, so I may just as well end up seeing the clubs, though from what I've heard they're pretty damn expensive compared to other European clubs (German, Dutch and Belgian clubs are prett affordable), any recommendations on that aspect (clubs)? I like many kinds of music - Acid Jazz/Jazz, Minimal, Techno, Acid, Drum'n'Bass, Electro, Funk. As long as there's no Dance/Trance I'm probably happy
Old 02-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #35
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Oh man, the Musee D'Orsay looks amazing inside! I love old train stations, they're so grand and impressive. Sadly I only saw it from the outside.

Did you see the Louvre Metro station? So pretty.

Quote:
You need to learn to drive like this guy! And possibly reduce the traffic to 1970s levels. This is an amazing video for anyone with even a vague grasp of Paris geography.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Oh man, the Musee D'Orsay looks amazing inside! I love old train stations, they're so grand and impressive. Sadly I only saw it from the outside.

Did you see the Louvre Metro station? So pretty.

You need to learn to drive like this guy! And possibly reduce the traffic to 1970s levels. This is an amazing video for anyone with even a vague grasp of Paris geography.
Yeah the Louvre Metro station is awesome, I'd like to see that in John Woo's Stranglehold and shoot all the glass out That'd also be an awesome scene in a movie And that video is amazing! Paris looks awfully empty though, must be 5 AM on a Sunday or something, still, the guy has some serious driving skills (though the car seems like a beast too, sounds very Japanese and very turbo charged). He's probably a getaway driver, and if not, he'd make a really good one The whole video reminds me of Taxi and Ronin.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #37

Oh, that is a really nice picture. Everything looks grey and moody in the background, all with wonderful textures, and you stand out brilliantly against it yet looking down and withdrawn, still fitting in with the scene.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Even below Paris everything is packed I really want to visit those "plague" tombs one day, and if I give in to my nieces and counins' pressure, I probably will soon Any other recommendations if I go there soon? I've already seen pretty much every 'major' tourist attraction, so I may just as well end up seeing the clubs, though from what I've heard they're pretty damn expensive compared to other European clubs (German, Dutch and Belgian clubs are prett affordable), any recommendations on that aspect (clubs)? I like many kinds of music - Acid Jazz/Jazz, Minimal, Techno, Acid, Drum'n'Bass, Electro, Funk. As long as there's no Dance/Trance I'm probably happy
I don't really know any clubs...

Otherwise, well, I usually (always) hangs around near the "Quartier Latin", in the 5th and 6th arrondissements. There's the "rue Mouffetard", which is pretty neat, with a bunch of restaurants and odd shops, and bars (my favorite bar, the Teddy's Bar, is nearby, in rue Thouin. Small place, very mellow, 150 tasty cocktails, and some jazz in the background).
Then up this street there's the Pantheon, and the "place des Grands Hommes", from where you can get to the Luxembourg garden, which is really nice in the summer, then down the boulevard Saint Michel and its clothes, books, and CD/DVD stores, to the Seine. There's a small street, near the Seine, which is called "Saint André des Arts", where you can (again) find a ton of odd shops, restaurants, and bars (my second favorite bar, the Café Latin, is on this street; you can eat there too. It's not as atmospheric as the Teddy's Bar, though) And then, along the Seine to Notre Dame (and the Marais, on the other side of the Seine), or in the other direction to the "Pont des Arts". This part of the Seine is beautiful in the evening, what with all the lit buildings.
This whole neighbourhood is really lively, full of people ("natives" and tourists alike), and it's got everything you need in terms of food and entertainment. It also has a lot of movie theaters, some of which show some really old movies.

But frankly, if you come, don't come now, as it's depressingly cold and wet everywhere...
Old 02-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #39

Quote:

Otherwise, well, I usually (always) hangs around near the "Quartier Latin", in the 5th and 6th arrondissements. There's the "rue Mouffetard", which is pretty neat, with a bunch of restaurants and odd shops, and bars (my favorite bar, the Teddy's Bar, is nearby, in rue Thouin. Small place, very mellow, 150 tasty cocktails, and some jazz in the background).
Then up this street there's the Pantheon, and the "place des Grands Hommes", from where you can get to the Luxembourg garden, which is really nice in the summer, then down the boulevard Saint Michel and its clothes, books, and CD/DVD stores, to the Seine. There's a small street, near the Seine, which is called "Saint André des Arts", where you can (again) find a ton of odd shops, restaurants, and bars (my second favorite bar, the Café Latin, is on this street; you can eat there too. It's not as atmospheric as the Teddy's Bar, though) And then, along the Seine to Notre Dame (and the Marais, on the other side of the Seine), or in the other direction to the "Pont des Arts". This part of the Seine is beautiful in the evening, what with all the lit buildings.
This whole neighbourhood is really lively, full of people ("natives" and tourists alike), and it's got everything you need in terms of food and entertainment. It also has a lot of movie theaters, some of which show some really old movies.

But frankly, if you come, don't come now, as it's depressingly cold and wet everywhere...
Thanks!!! I'm going to print your post out for when I'm going to Paris again I've visited the 'Latin Quarter' before with my niece and it was really atmospheric, we visited a couple of bars and got somewhat drunk, then walked through Paris all night. The communication was the funny bit because I'd agreed to talk English to teach her a bit (sadly my nieces and cousins' English is rather lacking, nowhere near yours') and she talked French to me to teach me (sadly my French is also pretty lacking, which is shameful considering I'm like a quarter French, then again I'm also an eighth Chinese, one sixteenth German, sixteenth Jewish, and half Dutch, or.. something, but I'm rambling). She didn't know any good clubs either though, but from what she told me everything she did know was incredibly expensive (as in, 200 euros for a good night's party ). Anyway my cousins and nieces are really bugging me about coming to Paris for a week or two, and at one point I'm going to have to submit to the pressure Thanks for the tip on the weather, I think I'm going in Spring, as I wouldn't much like a repeat of the last time when it poured literally buckets of rain But seriously thanks for the info - I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy myself a lot better this time
Old 02-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #40
Barroom hero

Quote:

Uhuh, the Teddy's bar is open late, but it is a bit expensive.