You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Quick Survey :: Do you have a DVD Player on your PC?

View Poll Results: Do you have a DVD-ROM on your PC?
Yes. 31 93.94%
No. 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 03:20 PM   #21
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Hm, 21:0. I sense that this poll is now redundant .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:27 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Does it count if it's external (I bought one that attaches via USB) ?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #23
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Does it count if it's external (I bought one that attaches via USB) ?
Ahuh.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-30-2006, 03:34 PM   #24
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Actually, we're all lying in this poll. I have a DVD drive in my PC, but not on it...

Old 01-30-2006, 03:37 PM   #25
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I don't have a DVD player in my PC. Then again, my PC isn't good enough to handle most recent-day 3D-heavy type games, either.

I'd think that any game that requires a high-end computer would be generally safe having a DVD-only release, since a high-end computer probably either already comes with a DVD drive installed or it's not too hard to upgrade to having one.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 01-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #26
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Actually, we're all lying in this poll. I have a DVD drive in my PC, but not on it...
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
O RLY?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 01-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #27
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
I don't have a DVD player in my PC. Then again, my PC isn't good enough to handle most recent-day 3D-heavy type games, either.

I'd think that any game that requires a high-end computer would be generally safe having a DVD-only release, since a high-end computer probably either already comes with a DVD drive installed or it's not too hard to upgrade to having one.

Peace & Luv, Liz
If someone doesn't mind answering this, when did PCs in the US start coming with DVD drives as standard? Because over here anyone who bought a PC in the last six or seven years will almost certainly have a DVD drive ...

Old 01-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #28
Diva of Death

Mistah Lacey:

Er, are you sure you're not exagerrating just a wee bit? My existing computer is 7 years old, and back then a *stand-alone DVD player* cost in the realm of $400 USD, let alone a DVD drive.

In any case, I personally don't know for sure when they started becoming common here... maybe in the past 3 years or so, if I had to guess.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
Old 01-30-2006, 03:53 PM   #29
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Mistah Lacey:

Er, are you sure you're not exagerrating just a wee bit? My existing computer is 7 years old, and back then a *stand-alone DVD player* cost in the realm of $400 USD, let alone a DVD drive.

In any case, I personally don't know for sure when they started becoming common here... maybe in the past 3 years or so, if I had to guess.

Peace & Luv, Liz
Not by much. I've been through... *counts* ...four desktops with DVD drives as standard. Even if it was an optional thing when I got the first of those, it must still be a good five or six years...

Old 01-30-2006, 03:56 PM   #30
Hitch-Hiker

Who dared to vote no?

_

Old 01-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #31
Diva of Death

Mistah Lacey:

Well, if you say so. Back when I got my computer, I remember DVD drives being still very much a matter of, "Whoa, dude, (s)he has a * DVD drive *! Everyone gather round and drool over it!" sort of thing.

I don't think it was at least until 2000 where it changed to "Yeah, DVD drives are way cool, I might get one if I have the cash." And a year or two after that before it reached "Sure, I have a DVD drive. Who doesn't?"

But then again, both my roommate and I were stuck with twin old maids for computers until he got to upgrade recently, so I might be off.

Dasi:

Er, I voted no... didn't you read my post? ;P

Peace & Luv, Liz

Old 01-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #32
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Ah, I'm pretty sure they became standard in European PCs much sooner than that. By 2000 all but the most cheap of PCs had them, IIRC.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #33
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
Dude, it's only the first season....
I want a divorce.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #34
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Who dared to vote no?
There's at least one "no" out there. That settles it. You can't afford to risk putting your game on DVD. Just like the game companies!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #35
Translate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Ah, I'm pretty sure they became standard in European PCs much sooner than that. By 2000 all but the most cheap of PCs had them, IIRC.
In the US, except for geeks like me who enjoyed putting custom systems together, it was only the more expensive consumer PCs which had DVD drives standard in 2000. I just spent a few minutes browsing through archive.org's cache of a very geeky computer shop I used to frequent, and it looks like they first started selling DVD drives in 1998, and the first time they included them as a standard part of a non-custom system was in 2000. And this was a shop for more tech-minded people, so that was a bit ahead of the game compared to most stores.

Prior to 2000, most consumer-level PCs were too slow to actually playback DVD video unless you also had an additional DVD decoder card or a video card with DVD decoding assist on chip. Since there was hardly any software on DVD in 1999 anyway, the only real reason to have a DVD-ROM was to view movies on PC, and since that was complicated by needing an extra card (hence, extra expense) it didn't catch on until processor speeds got up and prices came down. 2000 was the beginning of that, but it's really only the last few years, around last half of 2003/early 2004, when many consumer PCs came with DVD, except for stupid companies like Dell which kept foisting DVD-less PCs on people until recently.

Laptops seem to have picked up on the idea sooner than consumer desktops, when 2001/2002 saw a lot of systems carrying them. People liked the idea of watching DVDs while traveling, even if they couldn't imagine watching DVDs on a desktop.

Because we were so slow to catch on, software makers have been holding off on the switch to DVD. Yeah, there were a few things available even as early as 1999 (can't remember what they were, but I do remember seeing at least one package boasting that it was an expanded DVD version of some game), but not until around the time Sims 2 came out did a lot of companies take the plunge. Even so, many things are still released in two versions, or just on CD. And now these higher-density formats are coming to market soon... I wonder how long it will take *those* to catch on. Maybe not as long, though, since people understand the power of these media better than they used to ("You mean I can fit, like, *20* DivX movies on it? All right, man! I want one now!".... yeah, that's what it takes. Keep in mind that CD burners didn't really catch on until Napster showed up.)
Old 01-30-2006, 09:47 PM   #36
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I want a divorce.
Ok, but I keep the house and the silverware....

Most of the new games released here are on DVD, but there still are a few that still come in several CDs....

Even most of the underground games come on DVDs now...