You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 07:10 AM   #21
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I dunno, maybe it's just that I only really took part in discussions on game forums, and the kind where people knowing my age was likely just to illicit at "that's the last time we let you take part in a game"-type comment.

People keep saying that maturity isn't related to age, and let everyone makes maturity judgements on forums based on a (most commonly) two digit figure. The number of times people have said that they didn't realise that I was a child when I told them about my age (when I was a child, obviously) made me question whether that's something that we really ought to do.

Anyway, people want to know ages. And you know mine. So there you go .

Oh, and Dasilva, it's not a case of lying about your age. I can state, quite categorically, that I have never told people on an internet forum that I was an adult when I wasn't. I merely didn't tell them that I was a child, and there's a fundamental difference there.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:40 PM   #22
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
For me personally, it's a kind of dishonesty if someone who is, say, 15 years old doesn't let me know their age, and so I would go on and talk about things that I feel most comfortable talking with to someone older simply because that older person his/herself may have gone through a similar experience and we understand each other. That 15 year old may not be able to be on the same intellectual and emotional level with me, then, and here I am thinking they're in their 20s or 30s at least. Perhaps they'll learn something, but I'd feel I'm the one who got cheated because I wasn't aware of the chasm in age between us.
It just isn't fair. If you were taking them for twenty-, thirtysomething, either your assumption was ungrounded - and therefore you're the only one to blame - or the person showed during the conversation that they actually *are* on a higher intellectual/emotional level than you'd expect judging them by their biological age.

Of course, in case they downright lied about their age (rather than just hadn't revealed it), I agree you have every right to feel cheated.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #23
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
It just isn't fair. If you were taking them for twenty-, thirtysomething, either your assumption was ungrounded - and therefore you're the only one to blame - or the person showed during the conversation that they actually *are* on a higher intellectual/emotional level than you'd expect judging them by their biological age.
How would that 15-year-old even know if I or anyone would perceive him differently, if he never revealed his true age? He would have then presumed that I would be ageist, therefore he'll hide his age and I would go on conversing with him as if he were older and more experienced. In that sense he could be seen as being manipulative, expecting certain associations from me and others precisely because he kept a significant type of information from me. So in a way it's still a kind of dishonesty, to him and to me.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-30-2005, 04:45 PM   #24
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
How would that 15-year-old even know if I or anyone would perceive him differently, if he never revealed his true age?
By seeing how others, who had revealed their age, are treated.

Quote:
He would have then presumed that I would be ageist, therefore he'll hide his age and I would go on conversing with him as if he were older and more experienced. In that sense he could be seen as being manipulative, expecting certain associations from me and others precisely because he kept a significant type of information from me. So in a way it's still a kind of dishonesty, to him and to me.
See, my point is: where did these expectations come from - and are they justified? Okay, in certain circumstances they are understandable: a person registering on Polish-speaking forums could be expected to be Polish, someone joining feminist forum should be prepared to be addressed as a woman unless he says he isn't, etc., etc., etc. But why a member of a gaming-related board should be, by default, perceived as an older, experienced person?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:12 PM   #25
fov
Rattenmonster

Why stop at age, gender, and country of origin? Why not require a disclosure of race, religion, and sexual orientation while we're at it? I'm sure there are people out there who'd like know before they respond if someone is black, or Muslim, or gay, because it would change the nature of their response...
Old 12-30-2005, 06:35 PM   #26
merely human

Doesn't matter, fov. If someone wants to find out more about you, they WILL find out one way or another. That's the byproduct of the information age.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-31-2005, 12:34 AM   #27
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
I will address the oversight in my profile immediately.
What?! That's where you're from?

*adds Scott to ignore list*
Old 12-31-2005, 01:19 AM   #28
Doctor Watson

Quote:
I like to know someone's country of origin because I try to respond more simply and directly to people whose primary language isn't English, at least until I have some idea how good their command of English is. My everday speech is rife with euphemisms, and as anyone who has tried to learn another language will tell you, euphemisms rarely make their intended point once translated.
That's really not necessary at all, as understanding what is being said is different from translating. When I'm reading these pages I'm not doing any conscious translating at all! I'm thinking in English only. Of course, that might be because I've been taught English for many years, but really, English isn't that hard as you make it sound. Everybody speaks it these days.

Sure, there are misunderstandings, but if you are never challenged or presented with information you don't already know, you would still be at the level of a one-year-old.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:23 AM   #29
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
When I first started reading these forums, I was under the impression that Trep and Wormsie were brother and sister. But I think I was wildly misreading/glazing over some of their posts... And Worms's avatar threw me off, too. I think it was a female comic character that looked like one of Jhonen Vasquez' creations from Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. Eh... or something like that.
It was the genderly ambiguous beatnik from Captain August.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:09 AM   #30
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Why stop at age, gender, and country of origin? Why not require a disclosure of race, religion, and sexual orientation while we're at it? I'm sure there are people out there who'd like know before they respond if someone is black, or Muslim, or gay, because it would change the nature of their response...
Why not? There aren't any racists, genderists, or religious haters on this forum so why should people be afraid? Even if there were they would get banned. I'd love to know all about the person I talk to other than the chrismisie avatar I see.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-31-2005, 11:24 AM   #31
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

You could just, ya know, ASK THEM? Until you've got a reason to get to know someone intimately, there's no real need to know anything about them. Plus people don't necessarily want to tell you anything about themselves publicly. For a rather obvious instance, if Trep didn't want us to know he was gay, he wouldn't be so open (and dare I say it, flamboyant ) about it.

The stuff people want you to know will become clear if and when they want it to. I for one don't really care if people know my age, location or gender, and that info is publically viewable in my profile...
Old 12-31-2005, 01:17 PM   #32
swears in longhand

I agree with a security risk issue more so than the issue of not being respected because of not revealing age or race or country of origin. I myself would prefer the site to maybe just ask the month of birth and if needed an age range like they do on online surveys, etc.

But I'm new here to this here forum, so be completely and totally honest:

I am 5 years old, 6'7" tall, and am blue. (well, blue-ish green...the green is from my mom's side)

Just making a point, that games are fun, these boards seem to be fun even when the debates get heated. I may make some gaming friends on here, I may not. But in all things we strive to be liked and respected for our opinions, humor, and in here our love of games. It may happen that someone talks down to us or changes their behavior to fit what they know or believe us to be and there is nothing we can do about that. So I like how the bios are set up. You can put as little or as much as you are comfortable giving.

Again, I'm new so I've minimized my bio content. When I get more comforatble with the boards and the people, it may get updated...some of it may not (for security reasons). In the long run, I like people to judge me on my posts and ask me if they want to know anything else. Sometimes, its that simple.

Last edited by Ledgerat; 12-31-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:38 PM   #33
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

So your Mom is originally from Greenville, then?

Share the love.

<3
Old 12-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #34
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I feel like if people want to disclose this type of information, great, they should go ahead and disclose it. But if they don't, that's their choice.
I'm one of the few who post an actual photo, as opposed to an avatar. When someone reads "Codger" as opposed to "Senior Member", they look at the picture and know what the former means. I am older than 90% of forum participants.

That said, I've also deleted year of birth from my profile. I just wasn't aware that this info would put me at risk. Got to be more careful.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:13 AM   #35
Hitch-Hiker

Gee, thanks guys. Now you're making us paranoid.

Did that smilie just look at my date of birth? Die Smilie! DIE!

Dying Smilie

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 01-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #36
swears in longhand

Quote:
So your Mom is originally from Greenville, then?
Took me a second to figure his one out. I guess I am slow today.
but alas, no she is not from Greenville. I am a Yankee transplant.

Yea, You can can get lots of info if you no where to look with just a birthdate and a city/state. THen ask a few question of a person and narrow it down. Heck its almost like an adventure game if you're bored or criminally inclined. Sad.

THe worst I ever did to a person growing up was sign this guy up for a whole bunch of junk mail....toupee suppliers, Vickie's Secret, etc. I guess karma has paid me back tenfold if you look at the junk in my inbox.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #37
swears in longhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Gee, thanks guys. Now you're making us paranoid.

Dasilva,
that clock over your right shoulder is running a few minutes fast....oh and it looks like your dog needs to go outside.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #38
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgerat
Alas, no my Mom is not from Greenville. I am a Yankee transplant.
Oh well. It's still nice to see someone else from the Southeast, even if you weren't born and raised here. Ledgerat, meet Fairygdmther and Artwking4. Y'all, this is Ledgerat. He's one of us.

Share the love.

<3
Old 01-01-2006, 11:40 PM   #39
Invoker of tumbleweeds.

Posting your age helps me out because when I read some of the stupid drivel people post on forums I like to know whether it's because the poster is young or because they are retarded...
Old 01-02-2006, 02:14 AM   #40
Hitch-Hiker

I think we should have a setting in our profile to say we if look at pr0n or not. That'll be a great way for people to get to know each other...

_