You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat I'm thinking of getting a new graphic card, but which?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #41
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It's so disappointing that Oblivion was delayed. I think if anything that title might have demonstrated some of the system's best features, not just in graphics but also the A.I. and general experience of playing on the next gen console from the comfort of your sofa more than any other launch title.
I agree there. Though, again, it's a PC game as well (the system needs some awesome exclusives within a reasonable amount of time IMO). I do intend to get Oblivion on the 360 though. It'll be as good as the PC version I'm sure, and since it's not really a FPS I don't feel the need to play it on a mouse and keyboard. This is one I'm looking forward to, but it would be more impressive as a 360 title if it were exclusive.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:27 PM   #42
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
I agree there. Though, again, it's a PC game as well (the system needs some awesome exclusives within a reasonable amount of time IMO).
Yes, that's a good point, but it's not the only point. What about people like me who may not be able to afford the most powerful $2500 PC with all the latest bells and whistles but can afford to part with $500? We are also a sizeable market. That there's also a PC version means nothing to us in this case.

Quote:
I do intend to get Oblivion on the 360 though. It'll be as good as the PC version I'm sure, and since it's not really a FPS I don't feel the need to play it on a mouse and keyboard. This is one I'm looking forward to, but it would be more impressive as a 360 title if it were exclusive.
I'm not sure how it would be impressive as an exclusive 360 title. There are benefits either way that it's both for PC and 360.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-02-2005, 01:28 PM   #43
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Yes, that's a good point, but it's not the only point. What about people like me who may not be able to afford the most powerful $2500 PC with all the latest bells and whistles but can afford to part with $500? We are also a sizeable market. That there's also a PC version means nothing to us in this case.
Well, if you want to point out costs, then yes...I'll get back to that in a bit. But in my opinion the only thing that really makes different hardware worth talking about are the exclusive titles. I mean, what makes the PS2 special? God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Dragon Quest VIII, Metal Gear Solid 3, etc. What makes GameCube special? Resident Evil 4 (it was exclusive for 6 months anyhow, and is still the best version), Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, etc. What makes XBox special? Fans would say the Halo games, Jade Empire, etc. Then on PC recently you've got exclusives like Civilization IV, F.E.A.R., Age of Empires III, and the original, superior versions of Half-Life 2 and Doom 3. XBox 360 is new so I'm not judging it yet, I'm simply saying that so far the one exclusive title (Perfect Dark Zero) is a let down.

You're right though. For people who can't afford a gaming PC, then yes...the XBox 360 is sort of a PC on a budget, I guess. That's still not all that impressive for PC owners when all of the best XBox 360 games are PC ports... If Microsoft wants even more sales, they know exclusive titles are a biggie.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:37 PM   #44
merely human

Quote:
You're right though. For people who can't afford a gaming PC, then yes...the XBox 360 is sort of a PC on a budget, I guess. That's still not all that impressive for PC owners when all of the best XBox 360 games are PC ports... If Microsoft wants even more sales, they know exclusive titles are a biggie.
Also, people who may not already have DVD players and would like to stream their music from their [non-gaming] PCs to listen to while they game.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-02-2005, 01:39 PM   #45
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Also, people who may not already have DVD players
And yet are interested in a games console?

So, basically, it's targeted at people without a Playstation 2 or an Xbox?

Robert

Stop being so stressed and moody, Robert...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #46
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Also, people who may not already have DVD players and would like to stream their music from their [non-gaming] PCs to listen to while they game.
Well, there's just no decent excuse for not owning a DVD player at this point. I had my first in 1997. Even the most determined holdouts have now converted (including an uncle and aunt of mine who finally moved on from their beloved VCR two years ago, I thought the world was coming to an end...).
Old 12-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #47
merely human

I don't own a DVD player. Don't think I'm the only one. Once I get my new notebook I won't need one. But if I happen to get a 360 sooner (which I can't) I still won't need one.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #48
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
I don't own a DVD player. Don't think I'm the only one. Once I get my new notebook I won't need one. But if I happen to get a 360 sooner (which I can't) I still won't need one.
But you do own an original Xbox, which can be turned into a DVD player with an adapter costing some pathetically small amount.

And that's my point. The DVD player thing doesn't work as an incentive to buy the console, because the number of people already looking at the Xbox 360 that don't already have a DVD player, PS2, Xbox or DVD-ready PC is going to be an unbelievably small fraction of the market.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:24 PM   #49
merely human

Oh please, Robsie. If it weren't for big R and his DVD player I'd be perfectly happy shelling out $30 to get that DVD player out of my Xbox. I'd rather spend that amount than $150 for a DVD player that ONLY plays DVDs.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 PM   #50
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
::sigh:: There's a difference in quality between a good devoted DVD player and one that comes in a laptop or videogame system. It's an obvious difference too. Oh well, I suppose not all of us are home theater enthusiasts. Maybe those hybrid DVD players are fine for some people.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #51
merely human

Quote:
::sigh:: There's a difference in quality between a good devoted DVD player and one that comes in a laptop or videogame system. It's an obvious difference too.
There's also a difference between having money and being poor. It's an obvious difference, too.

Quote:
Oh well, I suppose not all of us are home theater enthusiasts. Maybe those hybrid DVD players are fine for some people.
Not all of us can afford to be home theater enthusiasts, so we do the best we can. Here's my idea of a home theatre - my notebook playing a DVD on my lap while I sit back cross legged on the sofa with headphones, chomping on popcorn.

Thanks for understanding.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #52
OUATIJ Creator

Thanks for making me feel guilty Trep. You're a pal.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:35 PM   #53
merely human

Believe me, you wouldn't be at all feeling guilty if I were making $85,000 a year and can get whatever I want.

Come to think of it, I don't think I'd feel guilty, either.

Happy Holidays!!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 02:46 AM   #54
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I've visited all the malls, media and PC stores I know of and NONE of them seem to have any of the graphic cards I want!

I don't think I should care for the brand anymore, I just want the best, or second best, AGPX8 card I can find, that at least has HDR incorporated...

Half the store only carry PCI-Express cards and the other have graphics card that are LESS powerfull than the one I have now!