You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Looking for people for a long hobby project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 09:11 AM   #21
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Kode: that would be awesome, especially with the cars of that era. However, I can imagine the architecture and technology a lot harder to model in 3d than the current more streamlined style.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-16-2003, 09:19 AM   #22
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Yeah, I really like the old-school cars.. I always get pissed when they show that car commercial (forget who.. Mercedes?) where the guy looks out the subway and sees an old 40's car getting passed by a 2004. The old one looks so much purtier...

edit: I didn't realize how worthless that post was until I hit submit.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-16-2003, 09:21 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Twif: your edit made me laugh out loud.

Yeah, I agree that old cars can often (not ALWAYS) have a lot more character than modern cars. I think this is in part a psychological effect; since we are so used to seeing modern-era cars on a daily basis, they do not really inspire our imagination. However, when you see a vintage '39 Buick, your mind immediately conjures up images of the 30s and 40s, and imagines a world in which that car would seem right at home.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-16-2003, 09:31 AM   #24
Umbilicus Mundi

Not a bad idea, but (forgot to mention some other things):

1. I don't have enough time for research to be historically accurate so something fictional would work best.

2. The setting should have a low population because I want to model the NPC's behaviour in much detail. Yet there should be enough people so that the game world would seem alive. I think the world in Outcast is the closest to what I want to achieve, but with more detailed roles and behaviour for the NPCs (and probably with a bit smaller number of NPCs).

Also, this idea (1930's and their cars) has recently been done in Mafia (although it's a different type of game).

Last edited by Erkki; 10-16-2003 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:35 AM   #25
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Twif: your edit made me laugh out loud.

Yeah, I agree that old cars can often (not ALWAYS) have a lot more character than modern cars. I think this is in part a psychological effect; since we are so used to seeing modern-era cars on a daily basis, they do not really inspire our imagination. However, when you see a vintage '39 Buick, your mind immediately conjures up images of the 30s and 40s, and imagines a world in which that car would seem right at home.
How true. I love certain older car styles. Not too sure how to feel about Chrysler's fusion of old lines on new metal, but I like some of the concept cars. I have the 3D studio max 5 bible, and some of the glossy inserts are of older cars: beautiful!
Old 10-16-2003, 10:17 AM   #26
Under pressure.

Today every car is made by a machine, while classic cars were made by men (or partly by men, later on.)

Classic cars also have a lot more detail (little shiny chrome parts, and such), while todays designs are as flat and smooth as possible.

I guess that's where the 'character' comes from.

--Erwin
Old 10-16-2003, 10:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Today every car is made by a machine, while classic cars were made by men (or partly by men, later on.)

Classic cars also have a lot more detail (little shiny chrome parts, and such), while todays designs are as flat and smooth as possible.

I guess that's where the 'character' comes from.

--Erwin
To be fair, I don't think that whether a car is built by a machine or a man really affects its character. They're still designed by men no matter what, and I honestly can't believe that it's possible to visually differentiate who or what actually constructed it.

And that era of design did include more flashy bits, but design is a cyclical thing. I mean, look at automotive design of the 80s and early 90s I'd say we're a lot better off in that department now. We're just living in an era where design is very aerodynamic and streamlined. This sort of thing will continue to change, though. I think that automotive design of the first half of the century is a lot better from our observer's perspective, too. It's fairly ostentatious and not very practical. Since we're just looking from a different point in history, though, it's gorgeous

Old 10-16-2003, 11:30 AM   #28
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

You could set it ten thousand years in the future, when a nomad alien race discovers earth. Most of the human race is extinct, but all their buildings (and cars) are still there. The aliens are low on their own supplies, and low on manpower, so they need to quickly adapt to using human tools and resources. They also need to make peace with(or kill) the last remaining humans, who are naturally vary of the newcomers. Technology on earth hasn't evolved much since our time, since msot of our technology prior to this point was used to construct different weapons and war thingees.... The aliens are an adaptable race (RPG elements?) so they quickly catch up on human philosophy by reading old newspapers/books etc. Factions are made, some teaming up with the humans, some wanting to leave, etc., etc. Your character must choose wisely so that he can eventually... rule earth any way he sees fit!

Okay, I made that up as I went along. Good enough?

(Could I be a writer? )
Old 10-16-2003, 12:41 PM   #29
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Garyos: That's actually a great concept for a storyline and design...

I mean it!
Old 10-16-2003, 12:50 PM   #30
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
(Could I be a writer? )
Elaborate and you're well on your way to being a sci-fi writer
Old 10-16-2003, 01:03 PM   #31
AKA Morte

Thanks! I seriously just made that up on the spot. I love making stories fit a certain set of strict guidelines (as long as the guidelines aren't lame, of course). I made this pretty good time travel script for school where we have no budget, three "actors" and one building to film it in.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:49 AM   #32
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
To be fair, I don't think that whether a car is built by a machine or a man really affects its character. They're still designed by men no matter what, and I honestly can't believe that it's possible to visually differentiate who or what actually constructed it.
Actually, they're not really designed by men. After the basic design is done, they feed it through a bunch of computers and JPLs and stuff, so it may just be the fact that cars are more aerodynamic that makes them ugler (as you said "ostentatious, not very practical"). Then again, the Honda Element...

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-17-2003, 09:56 AM   #33
Umbilicus Mundi

Thanx Garyos, that is indeed very good for something you just made up on the spot.
I'll probably use that.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:08 AM   #34
AKA Morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Thanx Garyos, that is indeed very good for something you just made up on the spot.
I'll probably use that.
Can I be the writer then? I (oddly enough) like the idea and would love to make something more out of it....
Old 10-20-2003, 10:21 PM   #35
LiK

i'll be happy to contribute 2d character designs and other concept art. message me about it.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:05 AM   #36
AKA Morte

Great! I'm Erkkis writer now, and I'd love to see some of my ideas conseptualised.... But as of yet I'm not sure if Errki even LIKES what I've written, since he hasn't checked his email...
Old 10-21-2003, 12:22 AM   #37
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiK
i'll be happy to contribute 2d character designs and other concept art. message me about it.
Thanx, but I don't think we need artists at the moment. But I'll let you know when we get that far.

Garyos, yeah, for a computer science student I don't check my email very often. But I liked most of it as I told you in email.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:35 AM   #38
LiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Thanx, but I don't think we need artists at the moment. But I'll let you know when we get that far.

okay, cool, just letting you know i'm interested