You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What is an adventure game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 03:41 PM   #261
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Hasn't this topic exhausted itself by now?
It seems to me that we are all going round in circles, stating our points, but with no clear resolution!
I vote we abandon this topic because the answer is purely based on individual opinion
Old 03-31-2005, 03:41 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Reality check: They don't sell.
They sold well enough back in the days. Why wouldn't they sell anymore, providing the quality was good enough?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #263
merely human

Why don't you ask the developers, publishers, media, and other gamers that question?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-31-2005, 03:43 PM   #264

Quote:
Reality check: They don't sell.
That's what I was implying. They are hard to make in quality AND profit.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:43 PM   #265
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
I don't think it's so much that stories got better. I think it's more that the AVENUES available to delivering stories in games have gotten better and more diverse. And those avenues exist because of the technology.
Yes. What I was trying to say, exactly.

At one of the panels I saw at GDC, Tim Schafer (and others) were asked about how graphics affected storytelling. (Now that I think of it, this may have been the precursor question that prompted the CGM interviewer to ask Tim Schafer about graphics killing the adventure game...) The question, which I found very interesting, was essentially "Look how advanced IF had become in its ability to tell a story -- why do you think the storytelling took a step backwards when graphics were introduced? And do you think every time a new technology is introduced (graphics, physics engine, whatever), it takes storytelling back to square one?"

It was a leading question (not phrased exactly how I just phrased it), but Tim and the others up there (Warren Spector and I forget who else) seemed to agree it was a pretty fair assessment. Every time a new technology is introduced, there's a certain learning curve required before storytellers can figure out how to use it best in their games. By the time they master it, there's a new technology being introduced. THAT is why the story of King's Quest 1 is nowhere near as complex as the stories we see in games today (and why the stories in games today still have a long way to go).

I guess the good news there is, there's always room for improvement.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:43 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
It seems to me that we are all going round in circles, stating our points, but with no clear resolution!
I vote we abandon this topic because the answer is purely based on individual opinion
Isn't the whole point of this thread to try to force our individual opinions into others?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:44 PM   #267
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
We HAVE reached some kind of resolution. Some kind, that is. It's just all buried underneath conflicting details and egos.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-31-2005, 03:44 PM   #268

Quote:
Why don't you ask the developers, publishers, media, and other gamers that question?
Ok. Developpers, publishers, and gamers, why wouldn't quality adventure games sell now, when they did back in the days?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:45 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
CYOA? WTF?
I meant a graphical CYOA.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenoi
I meant a graphical CYOA.
Oh.

What's a CYOA?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:47 PM   #271
merely human

Yeah. WTF IS a CYOA?!

Create Your Own Adventure? What does that mean?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:49 PM   #272

Quote:
Oh.

What's a CYOA?
LOL! It's a "choose-you-own-adventure" game. It's a type of adventure where you follow a story by choosing multiple paths in the game, but everything is basically preset and pre-written for you.

Edit: I find it funny how they are so unpopular nowadays that most people don't even know about them...
Old 03-31-2005, 03:55 PM   #273
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Every time a new technology is introduced, there's a certain learning curve required before storytellers can figure out how to use it best in their games. By the time they master it, there's a new technology being introduced. THAT is why the story of King's Quest 1 is nowhere near as complex as the stories we see in games today (and why the stories in games today still have a long way to go).
Right. When a new thing (technology or whatever) is introduced, it brings along with it a new way of thinking, a new vernacular, a new mindset.

And I think THIS is where adventure games failed. Like I said, technology now exists, better than ever, to allow stories (good or bad, up to you) to be better told. It's just that for some reason adventure games refused to take advantage of it, and in an industry and culture where technology is one of the CRUCIALLY VITAL driving forces, that's akin to suicide. Because once you jump on the ride, you have to stay on and keep at it, otherwise you fall off and get left far behind.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:59 PM   #274

Quote:
Right. When a new thing (technology or whatever) is introduced, it brings along with it a new way of thinking, a new vernacular, a new mindset.

And I think THIS is where adventure games failed. Like I said, technology now exists, better than ever, to allow stories (good or bad, up to you) to be better told. It's just that for some reason adventure games refused to take advantage of it, and in an industry and culture where technology is one of the CRUCIALLY VITAL driving forces, that's akin to suicide. Because once you jump on the ride, you have to stay on and keep at it, otherwise you fall off and get left far behind.
It is not true that adventure game developers have failed to involve technology and new ideas with it in their productions.

In fact they have done the opposite. But your classical definition of an adventure game - as I said - is not flexible enough to bring such a change to it. That's why they are mixing other genres with good adventures and creating a new genre: the virtual reality type of game.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:05 PM   #275
merely human

Quote:
It is not true that adventure game developers have failed to involve technology and new ideas with it in their productions.

In fact they have done the opposite. But your classical definition of an adventure game - as I said - is not flexible enough to bring such a change to it. That's why they are mixing other genres with good adventures and creating a new genre: the virtual reality type of game.
You tell THAT to non-adventure gaming fans who could potentially buy the game. I'm just telling you how it is. We can argue all we want that graphics circa 1990 and simple text parsers are fine for a game, but that's not gonna make enough money for developers and publishers to hire better talent and technology precisely because the games don't sell enough to make the money to afford them.

Yes, you CAN tell a better story. Yes, you CAN design a good game with ten-year-old technology. Will it sell? Sure! It'll sell, what, 5000 copies? Will that cover your $50,000 cost to make the game? Will it warrant a sequel?

Oops. We went a bit off topic.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:08 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenoi
LOL! It's a "choose-you-own-adventure" game. It's a type of adventure where you follow a story by choosing multiple paths in the game, but everything is basically preset and pre-written for you.

Edit: I find it funny how they are so unpopular nowadays that most people don't even know about them...
I see. It's a translation problem, I think. If I'm not mistaken, this name comes from the books, in which you choosed what you wanted to do, and depending of your choice is led you to one paragraph or another. So the games that are like that have the same name than the books.
But in french, the books are call "Books of which you're the hero", or something like that, which means it can't apply to games. So in fact we don't have any names for CYOA games. I think. Maybe.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:09 PM   #277
merely human

Yeah, I've seen those books. Never read them, they're so hokey to me, so contrived somehow.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:10 PM   #278

Quote:
Will it sell? Sure! It'll sell, what, 5000 copies? Will that cover your $50,000 cost to make the game? Will it warrant a sequel?
I don't get this part... If it sells 5000 copies at 30 bucks the copy, it will more than cover the $50,000 cost. So I must be missing something.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:11 PM   #279

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen those books. Never read them, they're so hokey to me, so contrived somehow.
They are.
I used to love them as a kid, because there were these cool Ninja stories were you could blind your ennemies and then cut their feet and...
Old 03-31-2005, 04:11 PM   #280
merely human

Quote:
I don't get this part... If it sells 5000 copies at 30 bucks the copy, it will more than cover the $50,000 cost. So I must be missing something.
My crummy math aside, my point was that people today place A LOT of value on technology, and many of them expect their money's worth from games that take advantage of the technology.

After all, even adventure games from 15 years ago RAN ON TECHNOLOGY, didn't they?