You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Westener and Steve Ince

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 08:29 AM   #21
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

From Steve's weblog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince
"Phew!

Late last night I finished a script editing job I did for the game The Westerner. This is a game that's already out in many European countries, but has only just been translated into English. I was asked to give the translated lines a little injection of consistency and make sure the humour came across properly.

It was a fun project to be involved in, but because I was putting so many hours each day into the editing, I'm a little glad it's finished. I just hope the voice recording goes well."
( http://www.steve-ince.co.uk/blog/2004/07/phew.html )

His weblog is over at his website:
http://www.steve-ince.co.uk/blog/blog.html
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:31 AM   #22
lemonhead11

Does anyone know if 3 Skulls will be included in the English version?

Old 08-04-2004, 09:51 AM   #23
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I hope not. Otherwise that's codespeak for "this script stinks, but they won't let me fix it."
No, it had nothing to do with that. It was a little bit of left-over resentment from the project that was cancelled which had such a dreadful effect on Revolution.

I found The Westerner a joy to work on and a fun game.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:45 AM   #24
Hardcore Adventure Ninja!

Great to hear that they are working on a sequel.

I played the german version of the Westerner and I think it's a gem. The only negative point about it is that it's a bit too short.

Definately something you can look forward too.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:16 AM   #25
Adventure ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead11
Does anyone know if 3 Skulls will be included in the English version?
Yup, it will.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:54 PM   #26
Dungeon Master

Hello everybody after my summer absence. I intended to make a new thread about the following, but my complains are related, so...

As you may or may not know, The Westerner has already been released here in Poland. But if you look forward to Fenimore's adventures, believe me - there is no reason to be jealous. I was really excited about the game and actually almost bought it two days ago, but some guarding angel suggested me flipping a few computer gaming magazines first.

I left the store empty-handed.

All the reviewers agreed that the local version is a DISASTER - in terms of both the translation itself and the quality of voiceovers. I ask: why not delaying such an early release date rather than publishing something amateurish? I've recently finished supposedly great - yet ruined by Polish dubbing - Feeble Files, and I tremble at the thought of repeating that experience. Now when I see that Mr Ince worked on Westerner (and that the 3 Skulls will be included) I consider waiting for the English release and overpaying a bit.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:29 PM   #27
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
All the reviewers agreed that the local version is a DISASTER - in terms of both the translation itself and the quality of voiceovers.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm happy this country isn't *that* familiar with dubbing or voiceovers, and I'm happy to be able to buy stuff internationally and on-line with my credit-card.

Seriously, it's such a waste to see a perfectly good game being ruined by bad localization.

--Erwin
Old 08-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #28
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
I know exactly what you mean. I'm happy this country isn't *that* familiar with dubbing or voiceovers, and I'm happy to be able to buy stuff internationally and on-line with my credit-card.

Seriously, it's such a waste to see a perfectly good game being ruined by bad localization.

--Erwin
I just wonder: The Sleeping Dragon (distributed by another company) was released with an optional Polish version install. For a moment I believed maybe other publishers willl follow that example, but no...
Old 08-10-2004, 10:41 PM   #29
Under pressure.

I can't see why they wouldn't, if it still fits on one CD.

I don't get the localization in the first place. I mean, it costs more money than just using the English version and you even lose some customers. I think I can safely say that generally, we Dutch folks aren't exactly happy with dubbing. I remember a lot of people moaning when Cartoon Network 'went Dutch'.

--Erwin
Old 08-11-2004, 10:53 AM   #30
Mostly absent

I hate dubbing. I feel that it's the worst thing that has ever happened to humanity (well, right after W becoming president).
I can't begin to describe how happy I am that I live in a country were nothing gets dubbed (except for cartoons, but I can almost understand that. I don't like it though.).
Old 08-11-2004, 11:09 AM   #31
Under pressure.

Yeah, I can't really complain. Movies never get dubbed, except Disney movies but you can select the language thanks to the wonderful DVD format. Games aren't dubbed either, except a few adventure titles which I therefore bought from the UK. They did dub all the Cartoon network cartoons, so I switched to Nickelodeon.

--Erwin
Old 08-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #32
Writer-Designer

The trick with dubbing in games is to make it appear that it isn't dubbed. The way to do this is three-fold:

Make sure that the dialogue is translated well.
Make sure that the actors are top notch.
Make sure the game tools allow the readjustment of the timing to match each language so that the natural rhythms and flow come across.

Simple really.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:41 AM   #33
Under pressure.

Quote:
The trick with dubbing in games is to make it appear that it isn't dubbed. The way to do this is three-fold:

Make sure that the dialogue is translated well.
Make sure that the actors are top notch.
Make sure the game tools allow the readjustment of the timing to match each language so that the natural rhythms and flow come across.

Simple really.
Yeah, I suppose games could, theoretically, have good dubbing. Movies will never be as good as the original, though. You simply can't replace a Nicolas Cage.

It'd be interesting to hear how a Arnold Schwartzenegger movie would be dubbed, though. His infamous one-liner would sound so very cheesy and wrong in Dutch. The pain, the pain.

--Erwin
Old 08-11-2004, 11:57 AM   #34
Writer-Designer

Quote:
It'd be interesting to hear how a Arnold Schwartzenegger movie would be dubbed, though. His infamous one-liner would sound so very cheesy and wrong in Dutch. The pain, the pain.
Any dubbing on Arnie must be an improvement.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:27 PM   #35
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
It was a little bit of left-over resentment from the project that was cancelled which had such a dreadful effect on Revolution.
???

Am I missing something?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:46 PM   #36
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
???

Am I missing something?
I was making sure that people didn't think that my column had anything to do with the quality of The Westerner scripts.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:29 AM   #37
Hopeful skeptic

I think what he was politely asking, Steve, was:

Cancelled project?? Resentment, dreadful effect, Revolution? Whowhatwhenwherewhy?? Details, man, details!!!

I'd have asked the same question earlier, but I expected you'd say you couldn't tell us.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:41 AM   #38
Writer-Designer

The reason that people were made redundant from Revolution was that a project we were working on was cancelled. I can't say anything more about it than that. There was no resentment towards anyone connected with Revolution, or even the people we were dealing with directly. I try to be philosophical about these matters, but I'm only human. Hopefully that mood won't spill over into any further columns.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:41 AM   #39
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose games could, theoretically, have good dubbing. Movies will never be as good as the original, though. You simply can't replace a Nicolas Cage.
--Erwin
Oh, I am very tempted to start the translation discussion again.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 08-12-2004, 09:34 AM   #40
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
The reason that people were made redundant from Revolution was that a project we were working on was cancelled. I can't say anything more about it than that. There was no resentment towards anyone connected with Revolution, or even the people we were dealing with directly. I try to be philosophical about these matters, but I'm only human. Hopefully that mood won't spill over into any further columns.
OK, this at least makes sense as a reason for Revolution to suddenly lay off such a huge chunk of its staff. I won't be asking any more about it, and thanks for clearing that up.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.