You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Your favourite ex-Lucas Arts composer

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite?
Michael Z. Land 35 76.09%
Peter McConnell 17 36.96%
Clint Bajakian 12 26.09%
I bloody hate them all. 3 6.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 08:46 AM   #21
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
All of y'all who voted for land over McConnell are so fucking WRONG!
Glad I voted for all 3
Old 07-19-2004, 05:38 AM   #22
Doctor Watson

Quote:
All of y'all who voted for land over McConnell are so fucking WRONG!
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y-!-!

I started this thread because I remember remixor once said he liked Land best, and I just can't think of a single reason to prefer Land over McConnell.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:39 PM   #23
Squonk

I can never remember any of the Monkey Island theme music. It's pleasant enough to listen to, but Grim Fandango beats it hands down. Plus, I liked Full Throttle's music, so McConnell it is.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:07 PM   #24
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y-!-!

I started this thread because I remember remixor once said he liked Land best, and I just can't think of a single reason to prefer Land over McConnell.
Well, I don't remember saying that (but I have a terrible memory, so that means nothing), but if I did say that it might be because I was under the influence of Monkey Island 2. I still see that soundtrack as the most formidable achievement on the part of the LEC composition team. It's an amazing accomplishment in terms of dynamic music, and was years ahead of its time. Land told me that logistically it was too big a feat to do again for another game, but I'm glad they did it at least once.

And hey, Land is pretty much responsible for iMuse, without which none of those three guys would have been able to do quite as much as they did.

Also: LeChuck theme.

However, Grim Fandango is my favorite game score of all time (and is very high up in my list of anything scores), so it's a very close call. I haven't voted in this poll yet but if I do I'll probably vote both McConnel and Land, but even then I'd feel bad about not voting Bajakian as well. If I vote all three, though, I haven't really contributed anything to the results, so maybe I'll just abstain.

Anyway, Kingz (and possibly deadworm): I'd be interested to hear your defense of McConnel, other than "Grim Fandango is great!"

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 07-19-2004, 06:17 PM   #25
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tits McGee
Anyway, Kingz (and possibly deadworm): I'd be interested to hear your defense of McConnel, other than "Grim Fandango is great!"
If you think that I, tone-deaf as I am, will come up with profound technical and compositional reasons on why I like McConnell better than Land, you're smoking something. Even though MI2 is the only formidable midi game ever, the only midi game I could never fathom playing without the sound, and even though the opening of the game is my phone ringtone right now (and before that I had the Largo LaGrande theme) -- Grim Fandango is the only game where I have stood in a place for extended periods of time listening to the music.

Plus also, McConnell gave me 50 bucks.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:44 PM   #26
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Yeah, I must admit that my choice is, of course, biased. Anyway. I don't like Land's compositions that much. I mean, I don't KNOW if those particular compositions in MI2 are his, but because he was credited as lead, I blame him. Some of it was awful (Captain Dread), some of it was clumsy. Strange intervals bleah bleah bleah. And it was too clong-clong. Or not strange - not even unnatural - but freaky intervals.

Aye.

Besides, the constant music in Woodtick makes my head ache, no matter how great it was meant to be.

Then again, I did like CMI's music, but Grim was better. I have ripped only a couple of songs from CMI, but almost all of Grim Fandango's music.

However, I didn't like Full Throttle's music either. I practically turned off the speakers.

Grim is the best. Everything else gets balanced out, but GRIM FANDANGO IS GREAT!!11!!

Last edited by deadworm222; 07-19-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:02 PM   #27
Doctor Watson

I'm going to execute Vel, by the way.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:03 PM   #28
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Plus also, McConnell gave me 50 bucks.
Oh yeah? Well, he gave me, uh, his business card...

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 07-20-2004, 12:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Oh yeah? Well, he gave me, uh, his business card...
Yes...and now you are both his bitches. enjoy.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:18 AM   #30
No justice. Only me.

I have to say that I voted for Land partially because while Grim Fandango has a great soundtrack, none of the songs from it have ever been stuck in my head for three consecutive days. I have had this happen twice with Land's music, once with the MI theme, and once with LeChuck's theme. And the funny thing is, that I didn't MIND at all.

And Kingz, I know what you mean about standing in one place listening to the music. I spent extended lengths of time inside the Microgroggery in EMI just so I could listen to LeChuck's theme over and over. Yes, it was slightly remixed, but it was really the only place I can remember in all four games where you heard LeChuck's theme when LeChuck wasn't around, (i.e. not in a cutscene,) so it was the best chance of listening to it.

The only other time I've ever stopped playing a game to listen to the music was during Frog's Theme in Chrono Trigger. The fact that I do it so rarely should give you a good idea of how much I like Land's work.