You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Most Hideous puzzle invented...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #81
Stalker of Britain

Oh my gosh, Fahrenheit. I didn't know that it had arcade kind of sequences, but the plot was so intruging that I played through it. Those "action" sequences got my heart rate up and I was nearly dying of stress. But they weren't too bad.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #82
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
Which are more annoying arcade section than the one in Dreamfall? I have to admit I cannot recall any worse...

Apart from the whole of Fahrenheit of course
Very subjective, of course. I just liked the way stealth sequences in Dreamfall were done since you got a chance to react, and run away/fight if discovered. I found them easy, though. Someone struggling with controls and having to do them over and over would feel different, I'm sure. An example of the opposite is Broken Sword 3/4 with instant death if discovered... followed by long cutscenes before getting to retry. Horrible!

Anyway, worst arcade moment I've had in an adventure game was in Toonstruck. It had some puzzles involving timing, and speed dependant on CPU speed. Playing it on a new computer a few years after release was close to impossible, and the game didn not respond well to my attempts to slow it down with 3rd party programs. I got through them with luck eventually.

Those weren't designed to be annoying, though. I'm not sure what arcade sequence has frustrated me the most. The end of all Gabriel Knight games are contenders, and also the end sequence of King's Quest 7... but frustrating arcade sequences at the end of the game was kind of a gimmick for Sierra, so I'll forgive that.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #83
The Quiet One

There's the arcade games you have to play in The Feeble Files. Those annoyed me. The whole game came to a standstill. I couldn't even get a save file for after that section.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour