You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Runaway, the Future of 2D Adventures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 04:30 AM   #21

Yes but can Myst:Uru be run on a P2 250Mhz with 64 Megs RAM? Thought not. Runaway can, and so can any and all of the big gun 2D games. Accessablitly is another point for 2D adventure games, most any computer in the past 10 years can run 2D adventure games, even Syberia, EMI, and Longest Journey require 3d Cards. Needlessly making a game 3d takes away from a large untaped audiance, the tier 2 and 3 computer users.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:55 AM   #22
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Adventurer
Yes but can Myst:Uru be run on a P2 250Mhz with 64 Megs RAM? Thought not. Runaway can, and so can any and all of the big gun 2D games. Accessablitly is another point for 2D adventure games, most any computer in the past 10 years can run 2D adventure games, even Syberia, EMI, and Longest Journey require 3d Cards. Needlessly making a game 3d takes away from a large untaped audiance, the tier 2 and 3 computer users.
That was an incredibly lousy argument. Older techniques are better because then we don't have to upgrade all the time. Please.

We should all still be playing pacman with two colors (great old game BTW).
Old 09-21-2003, 06:02 AM   #23
merely human

Yep, Adventurer, that is a lousy argument. So you're saying that any adventure gamer never upgrades their computer, and they've kept the same one for 10 years? They expect to be able to install and run WinXP on a P2 250Mhz? They expect all upcoming adventure games to be exact clones of what they played to years ago? They forget that the very decision to acquire a computer entails an awareness that they must upgrade around every 3 years or so not just for gaming, but for all applications.

The fact is that most computer software are more or less synchronous with the steady progress of technology, and we all know that technology never stands still. I'm not saying that you should play a tech advanced game just for the sake of it, I'm just saying that there are great things happening for gaming, why deny any game genre the chance to take advantage of these things just because some people refuse to upgrade their computers every few years, which they're supposed to be doing anyway, why bash new things just because of sheer nostalgia? Even the introduction of the mouse had caused an uproar among the keyboard loving crowd! And don't think that I'm ignoring the most important things in an adventure game, like story and puzzles, I'm not. I am merely being realistic about how inextricably intertwined these elements are and I'd rather embrace the dynamism of it than sit around and mope, like some of us here are doing.

Like I've stated so many damn times before, I love both 2D and 3D for different reasons, but for chrissakes, give 3D a chance to at least catch up to the level of development of 2D within the adventure genre. Stop bashing it, you snobs!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-21-2003, 06:30 AM   #24
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Someone post a full-res runaway screenshot and compare.

Click for large.

I don't get it. What's your point, Vel? The styles are miles apart, one is a cartoon, the other is more illustration-like. Each one looks magnificent. I picked these screens randomly. What exactly are we supposed to compare?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-21-2003, 06:39 AM   #25
(Va-yoosh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Adventurer

[satire] Oh yeah?! At least you can play Runaway. That's sooo typical of you "mid-enders". Criticizing "high-enders" while forgeting absolutely about us "lo-bottom-enders". But let me tell you something mister "250/64". For us all you with computers higher than 133 are the same snobbish high-enders!!! Long live VGA![/satire]

I love Monthy Python!!! They made it all so much easier and funnier
Old 09-21-2003, 08:57 PM   #26
LA-S-LE

I agree with The Adventurer in his first message - the graphics dominate in this game, while other components are not so good. But I don't think it's a future for adventures as, firstly, I think that developers should use 3D graphics, as it has a lot of oppotunities, though they should use it in a proper way. Secondly, in near future no publisher will want to publish a 2D adventure, so, to sell atheir product, developers will HAVE to use 3D.
Personally, I think that graphics in the game was really great, and I'd gladly see part of future adventures in this style. But...
Old 09-21-2003, 09:24 PM   #27
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
....I think that developers should use 3D graphics, as it has a lot of oppotunities, though they should use it in a proper way.
Let's hope that adventure game developers will learn to really understand the properties of 3D and manipulate them to their - and our - advantage. What would be your definition of a 'proper way'? I have some ideas myself, strictly theoretical, natch, but then 3D is such an embryonically new arrival for adventure games that we gamers have seen only very little of what's possible with it. This is why we need games like BS3:TSD and Uru - to help show the way.

Quote:
Secondly, in near future no publisher will want to publish a 2D adventure, so, to sell atheir product, developers will HAVE to use 3D.
I really don't want 2D to suffer, I want it to keep evolving alongside 3D. But the market demands more 3D games, I only hope that the market for 2D remains strong enough to count during the crunch. Still, the ultimate test is the overall quality of the game, and I trust many devoted adventure afficionados understand this. It's the casual gamers that will be attracted to the 3D graphics, but if the game is great then they'll stay for more.

Quote:
But...
Yesssss?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:45 AM   #28
LA-S-LE

Well, it's hard for me to tell now, how to use 3D in a proper way, as you said, we haven't seen many examples of such games yet. But I think freedom is one of the main things to expect. We'll see what they can do.
As for the 2D, I also hope such games will continue to appear, especially after such great experience with graphics in Runaway. But I'm afraid that developers and publishers will (and are as well) try to satisfy the largest auditory, which usually don't include interests of devoted adventures. Look what happened to Lucas Arts (still hopes for Sam & MAx 2, though), or Sierra, or Legend, or...
But there is another aspect - funmade games. The number, and especcially the quality of them is growing nowdays. Not long ago I finished Kings Quest 2 VGA and was really amased - it's just a solid adventure in a classical look, and what's best - it's near the same level as the games of big companies in the 80s-90s. Hope to see Quest for Glory VGA in the nearest future. And there are other promising projects like Kings Quest 9, Broken Sword 1.5, Indiana Jones and FOY... Hope they'll do their best.

But... *went in search for a larger market*
Old 09-22-2003, 08:49 AM   #29
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajus

[satire] Oh yeah?! At least you can play Runaway. That's sooo typical of you "mid-enders".
Haha, brilliant. I agree completely. My PC won't be able to play BS3, so I'll just have to get a new one. There's no reason I should expect the whole friggin adventure genre to keep itself scaled back just so certain people with older computers can play every game.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-22-2003, 10:27 AM   #30

sarcasm, remi, sarcasm.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:41 AM   #31
Liver of Life

I agree, to an extent, with The Adventurer on his point that 3D games aren't as good looking as 2D games. It's just an opinion. And I respect his opinion that disagrees with me.

Either way, I realize that 3D games are the games of the future, yet, I for one hope that someone somewhere will always be making good old hand-drawn 2D games

It's just that 3D games don't have the same level of appeal that I crave. I don't need or want my games to be "realistic." I prefer them cartoony.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:00 PM   #32
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
sarcasm, remi, sarcasm.
I know, and my post wasn't. : P I DON'T expect the industry to hold itself back (nor do I desire it).

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright