You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Al Emmo demo... what do people think?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #341

That's the point SnorkelCat--this is a work of fiction. It's fantasy. It's a game. It seems to me that you've been taking it awfully seriously considering it's merely been made with the goal of entertaining those who want to play it. Seeing you don't feel that you'll be entertained, you definitely don't have to play, and we definitely don't want to force people who would not enjoy it to buy it.

Also, seeing that you've never actually played the entire game, nor were you on the development team, you really have no place saying what or what we were not trying to accomplish. If you have questions about what we were trying to imply in the game, ask us--that's what we're here for. Since I have taken part in the development and have played the entire game, I will say, there are several elements in the game that do follow in the old west tradition, although the game goes far beyond the typical stereotypes. Having actually been born and raised in the Southwest, there are many contemporary elements present as well.

That being said, although the game IS a work of fiction, elements are based on real life time periods, locations, and legends. And nobody ever said that Rita wasn't strong and healthy or able to bear children. Remember--this is a game. A humorous, fictional game. If it's bringing you ill, toxic or venemous feelings, you're probably not going to have the experience we intended for players to have. Just because it's not your cup of tea does not mean that others will not enjoy it. We want this to be a fun experience for all those who decide to take a chance on it. If you feel you'll enjoy it, buy it. If not, let it be.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #342
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat
I REALLY hope you are not suggesting that the developers are attempting
to portray anything authentic or even close to it? Two-in-one hair care products?? Radiation suits?? Dude, Where's Your Train?? Koko the Cosmic Thinker?? The game is anything but a trip to the so called "wild west!" Please don't start defending the "authenticity" of a game that is anything but that.
Eh, the developers can add any anachronisms they feel are necessary for comedic effect (or any effect they want!). It's their prerogative. I don't see how you can demand further deviations in the sake of political correctness. I never defended the game as an authentic portrayal of the wild west (which in itself is not a historically accurate view of that time period), but you must recognize the setting as a wild west setting.

Quote:
So.. am I to understand that the characters are some sort of miraculous, self contained, artificially intelligent wonder bots that create their own speeches and moral universe? Or are they simply lines of dialogue created by the game developers to entertain an audience?
Are you saying that any writer that creates a misogynistic or racist character must by necessity hold the views of that character true?

Quote:
Besides, since you seem interested in teaching me about my own history, perhaps I could inform you that virginity would not have been the biggest concern for a frontier girl.
I don't see how you got that impression.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #343
Himalaya Studios Musician

Chris, Brit...I think we have another Da Vinci Code on our hands!! Congratulations, and ... thank you all!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #344

I wasn't too thrilled with the game when I tried out the demo, but if it's pissing off feminists it has to be good!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #345
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville
I wasn't too thrilled with the game when I tried out the demo, but if it's pissing off feminists it has to be good!
Please don't stir the pot anymore. I may not have agreed with Snorklecat's and Jacog's arguements but I wouldn't want them to not post here anymore because they felt they weren't welcome.

That said, I have another question (that may annoy the Scotsmen here ):

When I listened to Kevin, I thought he had a Scottish accent but I read somewhere that it was Irish. What accent does he have?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #346
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
When I listened to Kevin, I thought he had a Scottish accent but I read somewhere that it was Irish. What accent does he have?
I thought he sounded Australian.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:19 PM   #347
Super Moderator

Uh oh! We need the experts!!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #348

The real Kevin (the person who the character was modeled after) is actually from Liverpool, England. He had a suprisingly Irish accent though. When auditioning voice actors, I was looking for someone who could pull off an Irish or unique English accent. The actor who won the part was actually from England, and opted to use a Liverpool accent, which he learned, in person, from Ringo Starr!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 PM   #349
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
If by 'feminist' you mean 'taking the time to think critically about what I am I'm being offered instead of just numbly matching along with popular opinion', then I suppose I'm guilty, though it is your label not mine.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:08 AM   #350
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameDevBrit
The real Kevin (the person who the character was modeled after) is actually from Liverpool, England. He had a suprisingly Irish accent though.
That's not actually that surprising. A lot of Irish emmigration during the nineteenth century was to Liverpool, to the extent that at least one Irish person I know has called it the Irish capital of England.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:01 AM   #351
Ronin

Quote:
If by 'feminist' you mean 'taking the time to think critically about what I am I'm being offered instead of just numbly matching along with popular opinion', then I suppose I'm guilty, though it is your label not mine.
In my personal experience, people who define themselves as feminists rarely take any time to think. They react almost instantaneously to phrases and characterizations that have been identified as mysogynist by their erudite leaders in the ivory tower.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:13 AM   #352

If only we could have gotten Jenna Jameson to voice one of the Hospitality House girls. Then we'd be mixing a little from collumn A and a little from collumn B! And to think she's from Arizona too...
Old 07-11-2006, 04:19 AM   #353
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
In my personal experience, people who define themselves as feminists rarely take any time to think. They react almost instantaneously to phrases and characterizations that have been identified as mysogynist by their erudite leaders in the ivory tower.
I do wish people would get away from this need to label others and themselves. People may accuse me of being a 'feminist'- whatever that means- simply because I point out certain inconsistencies and judge material for myself, as with Al Emmo. No one tells me how to think. I don't wear pins or buy bumper stickers. I call it how I see it. I can't comment on your personal experience with a label. But I might say that it is worth taking the time to try and understand what someone else is saying, even if you have no particular stake in that person's situation. A great many things that we now revile as truly bigoted were once widely accepted by a silent majority.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:39 AM   #354
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm
In my personal experience, people who generalize about others rarely take any time to think. They react almost instantaneously to phrases and characterizations that have been identified as stereotypical by their erudite leaders in the ivory tower.

Sorry for the bastardization of your statement - I just couldn't resist.

FGM
Old 07-11-2006, 05:45 AM   #355
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Sorry for the bastardization of your statement - I just couldn't resist.
Apology accepted.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:32 AM   #356
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Is that a fact? I must say you disappoint me...

Here I was thinking that serene and rational just ain't your cup of tea. That you like your women agitated and incoherent. What on earth could have put those thought in my crazy old feminist head!
Old 07-11-2006, 06:44 AM   #357
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameDevBrit
The real Kevin (the person who the character was modeled after) is actually from Liverpool, England. He had a suprisingly Irish accent though. When auditioning voice actors, I was looking for someone who could pull off an Irish or unique English accent. The actor who won the part was actually from England, and opted to use a Liverpool accent, which he learned, in person, from Ringo Starr!
Cool! Thanks. I obviously don't know my UK accents very well.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:12 AM   #358
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
And of course, all feminists think exactly the same way.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #359
Wanderer

Bill, from "Kill Bill" delivering the line, "This is me at my most masochistic."

Awesome delivery...

Anyway, I think we all have a little bit of each personality extreme in us. Sometimes we choose to favor one more than the other, but we're capable of expressing or understanding each other's opinions, no matter how extreme or hurtful they can be. Ignorance it seems, is a popular one for people lately. Hahaha, take as you will, baby...