You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventuregame Modifying

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 11:29 PM   #21
(Va-yoosh)

I think moding is only acceptable from a technical point of view. I'm not really into fan adventures and alternative stories to known commercial franchise.

The way I see it LBA2 sure could use some Direct3D acceleration libraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
You would be amazed what you can do with old engines. Just look at QuakeForge. You could argue that it isn't the same engine anymore, but still it is rather lot of improvement from the original.
It's still nothing. Jus check out Tennebrea at http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/:

Old 09-18-2003, 12:00 AM   #22
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Which was the one that can generate large crowds of characters?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:52 AM   #23
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
I personally disagree; I felt the GK3 interface was perfect for the game, and executed very well. It gives you the sort of freedom to explore the entire map that direct control couldn't. I don't recall it diluting itself by being both; you controlled the camera and used it to decide what to do. The character would come on screen when you clicked something for him to do/walk to; instead of you having to always have him on screen and travel across a location in steps. On large locations you could whizz around the map; doing close ups with the magnifying icon; exploring and examining. You didn't have to wait for the character to move at all; it was removed from the game if the camera was used properly.

If you do what you suggest; have it completely point and click but with a hovering dynamic camera you run the risk of annoying the player. When they want to do something it may take them an age just to get the character there. To alleviate that problem, I think you might have to shrink the game world/individual locations.

For me the only other way for point and click to work, apart from controlling the camera directly, would be to use the grim fandango/EMI static camera views but with a mouse interface overlaying it and hot spots. I honestly don't see why that can't work; because the way the 3D was done in GF and EMI means it isn't a huge leap from the pre-rendered static back drops of old.
Ah, but there are ways around these potential obstacles. One of them, respectful of gameplay, would be to have Gabe/Grace turn their heads toward a person/place/thing of importance, and even on occasion automatically commenting on it. The player clicks on it, and the camera zooms in and the cursor offers choices. In larger environments, if you want to simply look around, double-clicking the mouse will automatically send the camera view gliding towards where you clicked, leaving the character running behind to catch up (just like in the original GK3). I find this point of view very democratic because it caters alike to p-&-c players and 3D explorative players, giving a high amount of freedom to explore while preserving the dramatic cinematic camera angles and subsequent narrative techniques - a solid balance between gameplay and storytelling. You should watch Orson Welles' Citizen Kane and A Touch Of Evil, and Hitchcock's Vertigo for inspiration.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-18-2003, 04:03 AM   #24
Munior Jember

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
that link to the GK3 skins is neat. can you actually drop them into the game? (i was too lazy to read the tutorial.)

i'd love to make a gabe skin with dean erikson's face so i could relive the GK2 glory days...

emily
Ya you can actually use them in game. You can basically replace any resourse in GK3 with something you make yourself (ie. sounds, textures, scripts).
Old 09-18-2003, 04:04 AM   #25
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
a solid balance between gameplay and storytelling. You should watch Orson Welles' Citizen Kane and A Touch Of Evil, and Hitchcock's Vertigo for inspiration.
As a solid balance of gameplay and storytelling...? Citizen Kane and Vertigo are two of my all-time favorite movies, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright