Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Recent Splurges (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/17195-recent-splurges.html)

Kolzig 09-13-2007 09:18 AM

Hey! My dad just bought a different laptop than yours but he also bought that same kind of multifunction printer/scanner thingy! :D

It's great I tell ya!

Jelena 10-06-2007 07:26 AM

Star Trek Voyager Season 2 :)

Melanie68 10-12-2007 08:03 PM

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...LKGPOJBMEN.jpg

I needed a pair of dressier brown shoes. :) (and they're really cute!)

Davies 10-13-2007 01:57 AM

I've ordered two T-shirts from Engrish.com. Haven't got them yet, but whether that's because they're stuck in the backlog from last week's postal strike, or just because they haven't made it here yet from Hawaii, I don't know.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2115/...afc55b0524.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2193/...c5c0bf35ba.jpg
Also a matching "Hot Space Station Justice" sweatshirt.

Jelena 10-13-2007 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68 (Post 443845)
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...LKGPOJBMEN.jpg

I needed a pair of dressier brown shoes. :) (and they're really cute!)

I love them! :)

Hammerite 10-13-2007 12:13 PM

Some albums:
Elliott Smith - XO
Sparklehorse - Dreamt For Years In The Belly Of A Mountain
Television - Marquee Moon

and
League of Gentlemen, series one on DVD.

SynsAngel 10-23-2007 12:51 AM

I went shopping today and managed to spend a little over $500. But now part of my Christmas shopping is done.

- Four tickets to see Avenged Sevenfold in November. (Three are Christmas presents.)
- Pre-Ordered 3 copies of the new Avenged Sevenfold album. (Two are Christmas presents)
- Guitar Hero 2 (Just for me)
- Rocky Horror Picture Show DVD
- Lord of the Rings extended edition box set
- Two shirts
- Two pairs of pants
- Fake purple eyelashes (For Halloween)

Jazhara7 11-19-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davies (Post 434945)
I've just had a little run at one of my favourite magic-trick suppliers, and ended up with:

Jay Sankey's Assassin's Pouch
Around the World Colouring Book

Yeah, yeah, two book tests. I like book tests.

I've been wanting the Assassin's Pouch for a while now, ever since they came out. Then when I tried it out, the loop for the carabiner clip literally unravelled. The replacement just came a few minutes ago, and I'm sure it'll be fine.

The Assassin's pouch looks awesome. Is it only suitable for magic stuff, or can it be used as a regular bag, too?

Oh, and is that a real colouring book? Because I think I had that one as a kid. Does it show people in the local dress in a kind of cutesy style in the book, as well as sights from different countries?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney (Post 437044)
Well, this isn't a splurge, but today I was visited by UPS, and was given a free novel I won in a raffle I entered on a website! Kind of a nice surprise to get in the middle of the week.

I once won a Chip Beanie Buddy (the large version of Beanie Babies) in a "Find it" contest from Tiggy's Petz Pages. Petz (Petz 3 specifically) was a game, that consisted of two games: Catz 3 and Dogz 3. Those were some of the first pages I visited back then. Find it's were a common activity on those pages, though usually you only got a badge that you could place on your website, or print out if you didn't have a website, or maybe a pet for Petz to download, that was special in some way, but that was usually all. But Tiggy's website was very large, and apparently she got sponsors (she being the owner. Tiggy was the mascot.), or else I couldn't imagine how she could afford giving away new Beanie Buddies.

Anyway, I won the find it (the first one), despite not having found all of the things (the find it had several things to find. You didn't have to find all of them, but the more you found, the higher your chances of winning were), and even though some people had found more. I was very surprised when my father said there was an email for me (I didn't have my own email adress back then, so I used his). I didn't understand half of the email, since my English wasn't all that good back then (At that time I had just been enrolled on the International School, and knew just enough to communicate and browse the English Petz pages. I learned some new words from those pages too, like "Finicky", which helped me surprise and impress my English teacher once I got back to German school when he was asking for English adjectives we knew. But I was still glad when I got back to the International School. :) ), but it was enough for me to see that I had won, and that I had to reply in time or the next person would get the prize. I was all excited, and when it finally arrived I was so happy I ran around the house carrying Chip (the Beanie Buddy. He's a Calico cat, by the way.) on my head, especially when typing my thank you mail to the owner of Tiggy's page, so that he was looking at the screen while I was typing - why, you ask? It's just something I did, do I need a reason beyond being weird. It was an impulsive action. :D

And just for old time's sake, I just fetched Chip from my bed and put him back on my head. It's a very comforting feeling, I have to say. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthera (Post 439342)

A multi function printer:
HP Deskjet F4180
http://www.teradata.pt/images/Hp%20f4180.jpg

Does it act as a Facsimile too? Because ours does. It's a bit larger, though, also having pull-in scanning as well as flatbed scanning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 443866)
I love them! :)

I agree, they're gorgeous and cute!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davies (Post 443865)
I've ordered two T-shirts from Engrish.com. Haven't got them yet, but whether that's because they're stuck in the backlog from last week's postal strike, or just because they haven't made it here yet from Hawaii, I don't know.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2115/...afc55b0524.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2193/...c5c0bf35ba.jpg
Also a matching "Hot Space Station Justice" sweatshirt.

Eeee! They're awesome (As in "Inspiring Awe and Fear, as well as being grand to behold". Yes, they definitely inspire Fear. Especially the first one. :D ). I want some too!

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RLacey 11-19-2007 04:22 PM

I bought a baton today. I don't much like using them, but orchestras never seem to like my vague hand-waving (which works fine for choirs)... :P

Trumgottist 11-20-2007 01:47 PM

In my experience, what orchestra members often dislike about choral conductors is the vagueness in the hand waving, and not so much the lack of baton. (I don't like to use one either.) As long as you are distinct, the orchestra should have no reason to complain. I suppose the baton can be useful, particularly with larger orchestras, but if a choral conductor wants to be liked by an orchestra, a distinct beat in the hands will go a long way (and is just as important with a baton in hand).

RLacey 11-20-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumgottist (Post 449046)
In my experience, what orchestra members often dislike about choral conductors is the vagueness in the hand waving, and not so much the lack of baton. (I don't like to use one either.) As long as you are distinct, the orchestra should have no reason to complain. I suppose the baton can be useful, particularly with larger orchestras, but if a choral conductor wants to be liked by an orchestra, a distinct beat in the hands will go a long way (and is just as important with a baton in hand).

Agreed. And thanks :).

Not A Speck Of Cereal 11-20-2007 09:07 PM

Caviar and Champagne to celebrate the Thanksgiving day Holiday at the beach cabin. Aw yeah. Totally spontaneously, I might add--talk about splurge!

Jatsie 11-24-2007 04:41 AM

After all my Christmas shopping, I decided I deserved a gift myself, so I bought a Vivienne Westwood pendant.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3987/vivai7.jpg

Not A Speck Of Cereal 11-29-2007 10:29 PM

A new camera. Accourements are to follow.

Tobbe 11-30-2007 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal (Post 450315)
A new camera. Accourements are to follow.

Did you buy only the Body or the Kit?

RLacey 11-30-2007 02:46 PM

Every theatrical Pixar film up to and including Cars in one handy box. I've only seen the two Toy Story films, so this is something of a large purchase.

I've also got the 5-disc Blade Runner set (or at least the UK version of it) in the post.

And, finally, I have a nice birthday present waiting for me when I get home: the complete X-Files collection, including the film.

Not A Speck Of Cereal 11-30-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobbe (Post 450324)
Did you buy only the Body or the Kit?

Body only, as I already have a bunch of lenses.

Lucien21 12-03-2007 02:36 PM

Bought all my Xmas pressie today and in celebration of spending too much money as usual I treated myself to the following:

Blade Runner 5 Disc Set (Tin Box)

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/832...erunnerpo3.jpg

Disc 1 - Ridley Scott's All-New "Final Cut" Version of the film - Restored and remastered with added and extended scenes, added lines, new and cleaner special effects and all new 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio. Also included is commentary by Ridley Scott and a host of others that worked behind the camera.

Disc 2 - Documentary - Dangerous Days: Making of Blade Runner - A feature-length documentary about the film including viewpoints and insights from the cast and crew. Included are details on every stage of production of the film including special effects, casting, and even the film's literary roots and its place in the sci-fi genre.

Disc 3 - 1982 Theatrical Version - The original that contains Deckard's narration and has Deckard and Rachel's (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape scene.

1982 International Version - Also used on U.S. home video, laserdisc and cable releases up to 1992. This version is not rated, and contains some extended action scenes in contrast to the Theatrical Version.

1992 Director's Cut - Omits Deckard's voiceover narration and removes the "happy ending" finale. It adds the famous "unicorn" sequence, which is a vision that Deckard has which suggests that he is also a replicant.

Disc 4 - BONUS Disc "Enhancement Archive" - Eight featurettes, image galleries, radio interview with the author, and screen tests for the part of Rachel.

Disc 5 - Workprint Version - This rare version of the film is considered by some to be the most radically different of all the Blade Runner cuts. It has an altered opening scene, no Deckard narration until the final scenes, no "unicorn" sequence, no Deckard/Rachel "happy ending," altered lines between Rutger Hauer and his creator Tyrell (Joe Turkell), and alternate music.

Also included is commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner and a featurette - "All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut".

Close Encounters of the Third Kind 30th Anniversary Edition (Blu-Ray)

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8...ountersnf8.jpg

Celebrating the 30th anniversary of Steven Spielberg’s sci-fi classic this set incorporates all three versions of the film, including the first-ever home video release of the 1977 Original Theatrical edition, as well as the re-edited 1980 theatrical Special Edition and Spielberg’s definitive Director’s Cut (released in 1998 as the Collector’s Edition). Bonus material on the 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition includes a never-before-seen interview with Spielberg created specifically for this release, a retrospective documentary and more.

The Original Theatrical version of Close Encounters of the Third Kind was released on screens in 1977 and was never available on home video. Spielberg released a re-edited Special Edition theatrically and on VHS in 1980 wherein he deleted several smaller scenes and added other sequences including scenes of Dreyfuss inside the alien mother ship at the end of the film. In 1998, the Collector’s Edition was released on home video with a limited theatrical run and featured Spielberg’s definitive director’s cut with changes, some small and subtle, as well as a change eliminating the interior mother ship scenes from the end of the Special Edition, thus restoring the original ending. The Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition is the first collection to include all three versions of the film.

The Blu-ray edition contains all three films on one 50GB disc using “seamless branching” where Blu-ray’s software identifies the differences between each version of the film and segments the footage accordingly. Extras include a new interview with Steven Spielberg, a new production scrapbook (we believe this is a booklet) and a 90-minute making of documentary.

Jelena 12-04-2007 12:09 PM

Yesterday I got some new christmas decorations for the house and today I won Star Trek Voyager season 3 from Tradera (Swedish ebay).
I always shop away when Mr J is working out of town. ;)

stepurhan 12-05-2007 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 450842)
...Deckard and Rachel's (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape scene.

Strange but true.

The visuals for the "happy ending" scene are from footage shot for the journey to the hotel at the beginning of The Shining.