Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Recent Splurges (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/17195-recent-splurges.html)

Melanie68 09-30-2006 03:26 PM

Recent Splurges

I went out shopping today (haven't been in a while) and I've been needing a new DVD player. I've been watching them on my laptop for quite a while now.

I also went to the game stores today (EBGames and Gamestop) and perused their used DVD section and picked up the boxed set of Lost - Season One for $29.99 (16 pounds, 23.64 euros). I have been hearing everyone talk about and rave about it so I figured it was high time I watched it. :)

Share yours. :)

RLacey 09-30-2006 03:40 PM

I am totally going to dominate this thread in the near future :crazy:.

Okay... in recent days I've bought a whole load of random DVDs (The Shining, Jerry Springer: The Opera, Big Fish, L.A. Confidential), and video games (And Then There Were None and SWAT 4 Gold Edition are in the post at the moment). And that's in the last week or so :crazy:.

Mind you, they were all fairly cheap. It cost me less than £30 for all of them, I believe.

lumi 09-30-2006 05:31 PM

I think it's been awhile since I last had a shopping splurge. I could do something with skiing products, but I would easily end up spending $1k, which I probably shouldn't do right now. Also, my current stuff works fine still. But it is tempting.

rlpw 09-30-2006 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey (Post 347323)

Okay... in recent days I've bought a whole load of random DVDs (The Shining, Jerry Springer: The Opera, Big Fish, L.A. Confidential), and video games (And Then There Were None and SWAT 4 Gold Edition are in the post at the moment). And that's in the last week or so :crazy:.

Mind you, they were all fairly cheap. It cost me less than £30 for all of them, I believe.

Big Fish is an excelent movie! Of cource my whole family are big Tim Burton fans though

Giligan 10-01-2006 06:42 AM

The last big purchase I made was at EBGames, I bought Chromehounds and Medal of Honor: Rising Sun for my 360.

I want to buy the new USS Olympia kit from Bluejacket Shipcrafters, but it's too expensive.... *sob*

Tobbe 10-01-2006 10:57 PM

My recent splurges has been buying quite a lot of vintage Masters Of The Universe figures.

seebaruk 10-04-2006 07:26 AM

I've got a load of old He-Man figures in my loft, I'd offer them to ya but most of em are missing arms or heads. And I'm too lazy to get them down.

I bought myself a laptop and I'm well tempted by the Complete Calvin & Hobbes boxset, only 50 quid!

Tobbe 10-05-2006 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seebaruk (Post 349066)
I've got a load of old He-Man figures in my loft, I'd offer them to ya but most of em are missing arms or heads. And I'm too lazy to get them down.

Ooooohhh! :9~ :9~ :9~

I don´t mind, I´ll take anything, can make for eg. Customs out of them! :P
And loose accessories are also welcome, heck, anything Masters Of The Universe related, I collect! :)

bysmitty 10-06-2006 03:38 AM

Does getting a lawn planted count as a splurge? Well, the last real splurge I can think of was picking up a 20" LCD for my utility computer a few weeks ago. It was such an amazing price, ($200) I couldn't pass it up.

Enjoy Lost season 1 Mel, I usually can't stand anything TV related but my sister made me watch the first episode last year and I was hooked. I've already worked through both the first and second seasons on DVD. I'll have to wait until next year to watch season 3 since the rabbit ears on my TV don't pick up reception. :P

Update: Just indulged myself in a new toy. 1500va 900w UPS!:9~ Wahoo!
Damn, I have to be the biggest nerd in the world.

...bysmitty

seebaruk 10-06-2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobbe (Post 349474)
Ooooohhh! :9~ :9~ :9~

I don´t mind, I´ll take anything, can make for eg. Customs out of them! :P
And loose accessories are also welcome, heck, anything Masters Of The Universe related, I collect! :)

I never used to have many of the vehicles and play area things, but all my mates did. I was a deprived kid. Loads of loose accessories though, you can't walk around the attic without getting plastic swords and spears lodged in your feet. It's a bit of a deathtrap.

Tobbe 10-06-2006 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seebaruk (Post 349983)
I never used to have many of the vehicles and play area things, but all my mates did. I was a deprived kid. Loads of loose accessories though, you can't walk around the attic without getting plastic swords and spears lodged in your feet. It's a bit of a deathtrap.

Hehe! :) Do you think you could look up a few of those acessories/figures, if I could by some from you?

undeaf 10-06-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bysmitty (Post 349911)
Update: Just indulged myself in a new toy. 1500va 900w UPS!:9~ Wahoo!
Damn, I have to be the biggest nerd in the world.

Bah, a real nerd would have put the backup power device at the DC stage, thereby avoiding wasteful unneccessary AC-DC conversions and allowing easy addition of extra backup power.

bysmitty 10-06-2006 04:17 PM

^ True enough. Anyway, I still feel like a nerd. :P

...bysmitty

Jatsie 10-06-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bysmitty
Does getting a lawn planted count as a splurge?

One, two, three, four, I declare a turf war!

Target43 10-09-2006 01:05 PM

Bought a sandwich. It was delicious. It came with a free 50 inch TV.

Sage 10-10-2006 01:04 PM

Well, I was checking prices on Expedia and and found that I could take advantage of three separate discounts with one booking, so I'm headed to Reno on a last-minute fall trip. :D

There's nothing quite like hitting the trifecta of budget travel. ;)

Giligan 10-10-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage (Post 351516)
so I'm headed to Reno on a last-minute fall trip.

Going to go to the the air races, by any chance?

Sage 10-10-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giligan (Post 351520)
Going to go to the the air races, by any chance?

Nah, I'll just miss them.

Erwin_Br 10-11-2006 04:35 AM

I bought a lot of clothes during my vacation.

Now I don't have much money left to spend on splurging, because I missed my flight and had to buy a new ticket for 1100 Euro's. :D

--Erwin

Panthera 10-17-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey (Post 347323)

I'm sooo owning you on splurging on dvd's now. This week I've bought:
Road to El Dorado
The Prince of Egypt
Antz
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
Shark Tale
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Charlie's Angles: The Movie
Corpse Bride
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Double Disk Edition
Grave of the Fireflies
Serenity
X2: X-men United - Double Disk Edition
And now for Something Completely Different
Monty Python: Holy Grail - Extraordinary Deluxe Edition
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 - Double Feature Gift Set

Okey, maybe I should explain.. I collect animation movies, especially Disney/Pixar (even though I've just started quite a collection of Dreamworks movies now) and I'm a sucker for cheap special editions..

Besides that I've just bought
The Greastest Songs from the Musicals (3-cds)
Disco Generation - 54 original Dancefloor Classics (3 cds) both without copy-protection of course
A new Sweater
Lots of beauty products
A comic book
and a Munny Zipper accessory
http://www.kidrobot.com/prodimages/10027-1-L.jpg

The reason for my exessive splurging now, is that I've spent the last 5 months without almost any money, and now that I finally got money, I'm kinda over dooing it...

SCRUGAtes13 10-17-2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Target43 (Post 351062)
Bought a sandwich. It was delicious. It came with a free 50 inch TV.

i wanna sandwich. i wanna 50 inch tv too i guess but then again a fat-ass italian ham subway would be a lot better. and a lot cheaper too.

RLacey 10-18-2006 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthera (Post 354534)
The reason for my exessive splurging now, is that I've spent the last 5 months without almost any money, and now that I finally got money, I'm kinda over dooing it...

Okay, that's quite a lot :P. Since last posting here I've only bought King Kong (the remake), Condemned: Criminal Origins and the Poirot DVD boxset that I didn't yet have. And a copy of Permission to Land (the Darkness album). Oh, and I spent £2 at GAME on the pre-order pack for Neverwinter Nights 2 (confound their exclusive on that :shifty: ). All of which doesn't sound too bad, until one realises that I've had almost no free time in which to use any of this stuff :crazy:.

Oh, and I almost bought Still Life today. I'm glad I didn't, though, because I've just seen it for about half the price on Amazon.

ATMachine 10-20-2006 05:43 AM

Got a copy in the mail today of Le Crabe aux pinces d'or (édition Fac Similé couleurs). Hooray for drinking straight from the bottle and crude stereotypical drawings of Africans! :crazy:

In all seriousness, I do love me some French-language Tintin. Nice of the French publisher to offer reproductions of earlier editions as well as the current "sanitized" versions. :) Pity the facsimiles don't make it to English, though. I'd love to see L'Île Noire (1943 version) translated...

bysmitty 10-20-2006 08:24 AM

I think I picked out my next splurge:
http://www.andaluzdistribuidora.com....20Drambuie.jpg

...bysmitty

Giligan 10-20-2006 01:21 PM

Just bought the Sam&Max sketchbook from Steve Purcell off of Telltale's website. Probably a complete waste of money, but what the heck.

Catbert 10-20-2006 01:54 PM

When I read this title in the main chat I thought someone was discussing masturbation. Please change it.

Melanie68 10-20-2006 02:05 PM

A splurge = indulge oneself in some luxury or pleasure.

Describes what is being talked about perfectly. I can't help it if your mind is in the gutter. ;)

Intrepid Homoludens 10-20-2006 02:33 PM

;) Are you implying that masturbation isn't a luxury or a pleasure?

We could be specific and say that it involves the spending of money. Money that we otherwise could be spending on things we actually need, or at least spending more wisely.

rlpw 10-20-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 355668)
;) Are you implying that masturbation isn't a luxury or a pleasure?

We could be specific and say that it involves the spending of money. Money that we otherwise could be spending on things we actually need, or at least spending more wisely.

Yes like me going online to get a simple power source and hard drive then somehow deciding I also needed a new DVD player and memory stick. I'm still kickin my own booty about that

Melanie68 10-20-2006 03:13 PM

There was that study that showed that is was good for prostate health. :)

RLacey 10-20-2006 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68 (Post 355686)
There was that study that showed that is was good for prostate health. :)

A DVD player and a memory stick?

Go figure :P.

Catbert 10-20-2006 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68 (Post 355659)
A splurge = indulge oneself in some luxury or pleasure.

Describes what is being talked about perfectly. I can't help it if your mind is in the gutter. ;)

My mind is always in the gutter. And sometimes me too.

Panthera 10-28-2006 09:41 AM

This weekend, form Thursday to Sunday there's an arrangement in town called "book in sentrum". Lots of author interviews, book signings and such.

First I went to an interview with Bone writer Jeff Smith and Nemi writer Lise Myhre (more about that here)
and a signing with both. For the signing I picked up the complete Bone cartoon (in english) and the newest Nemi book (volume 3) Monsters and meteors
http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pDN...JYaczdy4AORTSo
http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pDN...hmTXgmb-evCSMc

http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pDN...RqL6M1AwZs_r-I
http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pDN...Ouzcqx5SQNeGnE

I also picked up an autograph from Jan Guillou for my grandmother, and two times two (one set is for my mother) Knut Nærum books (famous norwegian houmorist. He has written several cartoons and books, and is on a houmor show on tv every friday)
http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pDN...gy4LhN9UtDEKAg
The Madonna riddle is a parody on Dan browns "The Da Vinci code"
http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pDN...Zzo3QpcXspJw3M
Autographs from all three authors
http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pDN...8A4qJPd0kE--1Y
The Solution to the Madonna riddle is a parody of all the solution books that came out after the Da Vinci Code.

samIamsad 10-28-2006 09:46 AM

What idiot scribbled all over your new autographs already? :frown:

Panthera 10-28-2006 09:49 AM

:P I crossed out my name (in Paint of course)

Davies 10-29-2006 05:01 AM

I was in central Manchester yesterday for a NaNoWriMo writers' meeting (lots of eating and drinking in a pub). And before the meeting I walked around and indulged myself a bit...

Logitech USB joypad, brand new, for £5 from Morgan Computers. The last one in the shop! Tried it out last night and it works great.

Three DVDs for a total of £16 from a second-hand game and DVD shop. (Saw, Saw 2, and Final Fantasy special edition).

A stack of paperback books for £10 from my favourite second-hand book stall near the Arndale Centre.

And then about £10 for lunch and a drink in the pub while chatting to everybody about writing and stuff.

Plus £2.55 return ticket from Bolton to Manchester by train. And £2.60 bus fares to cover the mile from my house to Bolton station and back again!

It's not much of a splurge, as splurges go, but since we're pretty broke at the moment it counts as one.

samIamsad 10-29-2006 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthera (Post 358347)
:P I crossed out my name (in Paint of course)

:D Oh! Btw, what does "saeremne" mean? 'Cause I believe I know what "Med ferdig" is standing for (surprising language similarities, once again)...

Panthera 10-29-2006 10:12 AM

(med)with (ferdig)finished (særemne)"main writing assignment" actually I haven't got a clue about the right translation of "særemne" (isn't in my dictionary), I just know what it is. Last year in high school every one has to write a big assignment on an author or a theme. You have to use three books as a basis.

I'm guessing it's a parody on "særemner" written about the Da Vinci Code, or a "særemne" about their books, but since I haven't read "Løsningen på Madonnagåten" yet, I can't say for sure..

samIamsad 10-29-2006 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthera (Post 358678)
(med)with (ferdig)finished (særemne)"main writing assignment" actually I haven't got a clue about the right translation of "særemne" (isn't in my dictionary), I just know what it is. Last year in high school every one has to write a big assignment on an author or a theme. You have to use three books as a basis.

Heheh, I was right. In German it would've been: Mit(med) fertiger/fertigem(ferdig) (this depends on the gender of the noun) , well, saeremne. :D

undeaf 10-29-2006 03:32 PM

I just got a logitech marble mouse(a $15 trackball, all the higher end ones available were thumb opperated), to potentially replace my intelieyemouse which seemed to be developing a defective right button(although it now bizarrely seemed to have noticed the other mouse and shaped up). It's not as precise as the mouse, although that could just be because I'm not used to it, although it kind of feels better not having to move my entire arm when using it. The lack of a scroll wheel and middle button on it is annoying. I got a button to work as button 3, now it's useable.