Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Game you're playing. How far you are. (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/14062-game-youre-playing-how-far-you.html)

Fantasysci5 04-11-2010 09:37 AM

Trunkyo! You've played Below the Root? I would love to play it again, but on my Commodore 64 emulator, I can't get the game to start. I've "loaded" the second disk, but I can't pick any of the options. :frown:

MoP 04-11-2010 09:55 AM

Ack, another game for the never ending to-play pile...

Have you tried the DOS version? Is it inferior in any way to the original? It seems to work without issues in DosBox.

Fantasysci5 04-11-2010 10:52 AM

There's a DOSbox version?! lol I don't suppose you have a link...?

MoP 04-11-2010 11:26 AM

Oh, sorry, thought you had it. The first site I tried had a whole bunch, was actually harder to find the Commodore version ;)
Here's one.

Fantasysci5 04-11-2010 11:44 AM

No, I was trying to run it in CCS64 (the Commodore 64 emulator). I've found a version of the DOSBox one, and when I finally got it working, it says, "Insert program disk then press enter". I have no idea how to insert the program disk for it. You don't happen to know, do you?

MoP 04-11-2010 02:02 PM

There should be two .exe files, BTROOT and LOADER. You probably tried with BTROOT? That one hangs on the 'press enter' screen. Running with LOADER did the trick for me (that screen doesn't even show up).

Fantasysci5 04-11-2010 02:43 PM

Aww, thanks a lot! I finally got it working, no problems. :) I forgot how to navigate, but I'm picking it up quickly. Thanks so much for the help, MoP!

MoP 04-11-2010 02:54 PM

Hey, thanks for pointing out a fun looking game ;) Glad I could help.

AprilLives 04-12-2010 06:26 AM

Overclocked: A History of Violence

Playing Overclocked and just finished the second flashback. This game got a pretty good rating even at Gamespot so I'm surprised at how slow and hooked up it gets at flashback and other video sequences. Black screens with nothing to indicate what's going on between events sucks the adventure right out of a game. Otherwise, the story, voiceovers and art seem okay. Actually, the lead voice is excellent. I think he's used a lot and might be the same guy that's in Moment of Silence.

Hammerite 04-12-2010 06:44 AM

Starting to replay Final Fantasy VIII now that I've finally got it working on Vista.

D.C. 04-12-2010 03:38 PM

I'm playing The Pandora Directive. It's been years since I last played it, but I remember all the little details so clearly -- a sign of an amazing adventure. I'm up to Day 4. :D

Little Writer 04-12-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AprilLives (Post 545355)
Playing Overclocked and just finished the second flashback. This game got a pretty good rating even at Gamespot so I'm surprised at how slow and hooked up it gets at flashback and other video sequences. Black screens with nothing to indicate what's going on between events sucks the adventure right out of a game. Otherwise, the story, voiceovers and art seem okay. Actually, the lead voice is excellent. I think he's used a lot and might be the same guy that's in Moment of Silence.

I so wanna play that game. I did the demo a while back and loved it.

Blackheart 04-14-2010 05:17 PM

Currently playing...

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin.

Currently on the third level.

Denaron 04-16-2010 03:32 PM

God of War 3

My copy has just arrived! :9 I'm still in the tutorial.

terhardp 04-16-2010 10:43 PM

Currently, I'm playing one of my all-time favourites: Commandos 2: Men of Courage. In my eyes, this is a perfect game. Even today, it looks, sounds and plays fantastic!

I've played it many times before, but with the game such as Commandos, you can change your approach every time, so it never gets boring. On top of it all, I still haven't achieved the highest rank of Field-Marshall -- the best I've managed so far was Brigadeer, I think -- so this also keeps me going. Right now, I've reached the "Saving Private Smith" mission. I've managed to get the promotion on every mission so far, apart from "Bridge over the River Kwai". Strangely, I don't get any merit at all on this one!? Maybe it's a bug when playing on the highest difficulty. Looks like I'll have to make do with the rank of General, which is also uncertain, especially with "Smith" mission. In my past playthroughs, this was the mission which usually cost me the promotion. I've re-thinked my strategy, so maybe I'll make it this time. ;)

I still havent played "Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines" and "Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty", though I've tried the first one and liked it pretty much. The graphic isn't bad as I expected (for such an old game), but it frustrates me that many functions that are available in Commandos 2 and 3 weren't yet implemented in the first two games, so I'll have to change my strategy slightly.

"Commandos 3: Destination Berlin" is IMO a big step back comparing to my favourite "Men of Courage", but the spirit of Commandos is still present, which certainly isn't the case with the latest "Commandos: Strike Force". If Pyro decides to make another "Commandos" game, I really hope they'll return on the paths of glory. :)

RxBandits123 04-17-2010 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AprilLives (Post 545355)

Your lawyer friend in Overclocked is the same voice as the jugular guy (maybe main characters dad? I forget) in the Whispered World demo too. I only noticed because i played them both a few days ago.

I enjoyed Overclock and felt that the flash backs were pretty good but wished they had more environments. I mean Moment of Silence had plenty of variety in environments except for the very beginning of the game but in overclocked you really only have your hotel, bar, and work. And you only have puzzles really only during flashbacks. Maybe they took criticisim for TMOS for being too difficult and felt like they had to simplify the game.

Fantasysci5 04-17-2010 12:40 PM

God, I don't know how people do it. Louie is a Halo first person-shooter gamer till the day he dies, but when they made a Halo real-time strategy, he tried it out and can play it on Legendary.

I'm playing "Battle for Middle Earth 2" on easy, and it's kicking my ass! I mean, I have it on the easiest setting, and it's still a real challenge for me.

L-Jazz 04-20-2010 07:49 AM

I'm playing Venetica right now and I'm enjoying it so very much! :) It's a very good RPG/Adventure game from the developer's that brought us Ankh & Jack Keane. IMO Venetica is much better than anything they've done before.

Anyway, I'm in the Arsenal district and have just burned the Black Grimoire and been poisoned by that African princess, so now I have to go and find an antidote so I can continue my other quests! :)

Little Writer 04-21-2010 11:27 PM

Continued a bit with Secret Files, finished the Cuba chapter. The combination for the safe had me really baffled. Perhaps I shouldn't have drunk beer first.

I'm constantly astounded by the level of realism in this game. It's still obviously animated, but the designs are sublime.

Ireland is next. I don't really like the two playable characters thing. I'd rather stay with Nina ;)

booB 04-22-2010 08:18 AM

Mass Effect. LITERALLY, I have only seen the opening cinematic with Shepard and the crew in the cockpit, and then read the Codex entries, before I had to save and quit. Look forward to getting some time to finally sit down with this game.