Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   "Fan games are bad." (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/12329-fan-games-bad.html)

Wormsie 12-20-2005 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire
If his talking about the resources available, his very wrong. There are tons of freeware and/or cheap comercial engines, programs, etc... All good enough to make a superb comercial game. Look at Ankh for example, they're using a free engine and managed to pull off an amazing looking game.

If he indeed means that the basis for his opinion seemed to be more in the skills of the people making the amateur games*. He apparently thinks that the graphics in Apprentice II aren't any good. Or that the music in Apprentice II isn't any good. Or that the puzzles and writing in 5 Days a Stranger aren't any good. I couldn't disagree more. Many commercial games are worse off in those categories. BTW, AudioSoldier, did you like the music in Cirque de Zale? That bip-bip-bip-bop-bop-bop -music? Moreover, how was the game near commercial quality, in your opinion?

*Because the term fan-game is misleading in this context, as it more often means a sequel to a known franchise than an original game, I'm going to use the term amateur game.

Dasilva 12-20-2005 05:37 AM

I give up. Fangames are the crappiest thing on the planet. :crazy:

Wormsie 12-20-2005 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
"All good enough to make a superb comercial game"

Yeah.

Why not a superb amateur game?

Giligan 12-20-2005 07:15 AM

are you people STILL talking about the same thing!!!!!!:crazy:

RLacey 12-20-2005 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giligan
are you people STILL talking about the same thing!!!!!!:crazy:

That is generally what happens within individual topics, yes ;)...

AudioSoldier 12-20-2005 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wormsie
Why not a superb amateur game?

Ask Spitfire.

Dasilva 12-20-2005 09:03 AM

Eh? Don't drag me into this conversation, I've had enough about talking about something that really doesn't make a difference. Think whatever you will of fan games, everyone has their own opinion.

END OF STORY.

AudioSoldier 12-20-2005 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Eh? Don't drag me into this conversation, I've had enough about talking about something that really doesn't make a difference.

:crazy:

Uh...OK...

"There are tons of freeware and/or cheap comercial engines, programs, etc... All good enough to make a superb comercial game. Look at Ankh for example, they're using a free engine and managed to pull off an amazing looking game."

Uh...why no mention of fangames if you're such an avid lover?

Dale Baldwin 12-20-2005 09:07 AM

Will you two cool it please. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's sick of reading you two bickering.

Wormsie 12-20-2005 12:23 PM

Quote:

Uh...why no mention of fangames if you're such an avid lover?

I think he meant to say that you can use those resources to make a good commercial game, and that amateur developers have the very same resources, so it can't be up to the resources.

Anyway, I'm kinda lost here, as I can't tell you when you people are being sarcastic and when not, so let me repeat: what are those "tools of the trade" you mentioned?

Squinky 12-20-2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

I'm not making out that commercial games are the bastion of perfection. I'm merely stating that they're better than fanmade games since the developers have a tapestry of resources to utilize, some companies more than others. I don't think Grim Fandango would have been the game it was had it been devoid of the superb music, voice-acting and state-of-the-art visuals. It would have remained a good game, but a lesser one.

I *think* this is what he meant by "tools of the trade", Wormsie.

Wormsie 12-20-2005 01:19 PM

So, AudioSoldier, are you saying that those who make fan amateur games aren't talented enough to make enjoyable games?

Squinky 12-20-2005 01:37 PM

Quote:

Moreover, anyone good enough to make a half-decent game is likely to be already employed, considering the videogame world is as increasingly popular as it is. And don't try and tell me that anyone working on any fangame would turn down a position working for a games company.

This is what he said.

As someone who actually KNOWS a thing or two about the game industry, I disagree. Again, I recommend reading the Scratchware Manifesto.

Is it just me or is this conversation going around in circles? Or figure-eights, if you prefer?

EDIT: Read this too.

reno6 12-20-2005 03:50 PM

I'm not going to try to argue; plenty of others have already engaged in debate, and I wouldn't be doing anybody any good by jumping in.

Instead, I'll list why I love fan games, and why I value them.

The story may not be perfect, the graphics may be low-resolution pixel art, and the sound and music may be all but non-existant, but none of that matters. What matters to me is how entertaining the game is. If the author toiled for months and months on something that looks and plays like King's Quest 1 AGI, big deal? If it's fun and entertaining and keeps me going to the end, I love it. I don't look for things like high-quality visuals or surrealistic sounds. I look for how much fun the game is. To me, it doesn't matter how good an artist or writer they have, as long as they leave me wanting more. And more often than not, that's exactly how I feel when I play one.

These games are made by people with a passion for the genre I grew up loving. They pour their hearts into game design, and toil for months just to put a file on the internet and hope people like it. That's very respectable in and of itself, imho, and why I love the amateur community -- there are people working on free games just to keep this glorious genre alive and kicking where all others have pushed us away. And more often than not, the product of their relentless work is something fun and engaging and totally entertaining, not for a profit, just for the sake of being entertaining. And that's awesome.

RLacey 12-20-2005 03:55 PM

I'm reminded of this article by ex-Underground Co-Editor Dave Gilbert...

Legolas813 12-20-2005 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky
EDIT: Read this too.

Thanks for the link to that great article. You guys should really read the whole thing. There are a bunch of quotes from Schafer including his thoughts on digital distribution, some shockingly low Psychonauts sales figures, and the discussion on how it is impossible to pitch innovation to publishers.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/...ml?sid=6141519

Dasilva 12-21-2005 01:35 AM

I recommend for everyone to read all the articles above, specially the scratchware one. I now have much more respect for fan games/freeware/indie games. The article speaks nothing but truth.

Kwiksnax 12-21-2005 02:40 AM

This thread = nominee for most f**king retarded and pointless argument ever. :crazy:

Dasilva 12-21-2005 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwiksnax
This thread = nominee for most f**king retarded and pointless argument ever. :crazy:

All in favor, say I.

ART_Adventures 12-21-2005 03:43 AM

Exactly how do we define fan games? For example, is any free game a fan game? are indie games made by small teams or one man operations a fan game?