Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   "Fan games are bad." (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/12329-fan-games-bad.html)

AudioSoldier 01-25-2006 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva
Indeed Jeysie, I'm awaiting AudiSoldiers replies to the on topic conversation. Since this IS his thread I would think he'd make the effort to back up his arguments.

And yes, games are art. Everything in the world is art to some degree.

Hah, the irony of this. Hint, I never started the thread. But no matter; I'm busy right now, so I apologize for my inactivity. I'll get round to sparking more fires in due course.

fov 01-25-2006 09:45 AM

And we come full circle.

Time to let this thread die, perhaps?

Dale Baldwin 01-25-2006 10:03 AM

It probably should have died a long time ago.

Dasilva 01-25-2006 10:20 AM

Please.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-25-2006 10:43 AM

It's best this thread is closed. I've been following it since it began, and it has descended into nothing more that silly tautology and posturing, IMO. I haven't really learned anything new here. :(

After a brisk nap 01-25-2006 10:58 AM

I don't understand your reasoning. "I think this thread is pointless, so it should be closed"? No one is forcing you to read it.

As long as the thread isn't hurting anything, what's the harm in allowing it to stay open?

Intrepid Homoludens 01-25-2006 11:28 AM

In my opinion. And I have nothing more to say here so don't bother.

Maquisard 01-25-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
Hint, I never started the thread.

Really?! Who started it in your name?! :crazy:

Jeysie 01-25-2006 11:48 AM

Mares: This thread got started when one of the mods split off some of Audio's replies to one of the KQIX threads.

Anyhoo. I do agree with the thought that the thread so far has been pretty pointless, but I am genuinely interested in hearing specific, constructive criticism/replies from Audio, as opposed to the vast amount of sweeping statements and personal attacks he's made so far.

While I don't think all fan games are bad, neither do I think they're all good. It'd be interesting to me to be able to approach this logically to see if any of his misgivings are indeed related solely to (or at least more typical of) the amateur side of gamemaking.

Near as I can tell, the only useful criticisms he's made so far are in regards to Christmas Quest, which people seem to mostly concede, and chalked up to the, shall we say, short development schedule. ;)

Peace & Luv, Liz

After a brisk nap 01-25-2006 11:53 AM

One of the mods did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
In my opinion. And I have nothing more to say here so don't bother.

I just don't understand the impulse to close a thread because you don't personally enjoy it. I don't follow baseball, but I don't try to stop the World Series. I don't campaign for TV networks to cancel TV shows I think are crap.

AFGNCAAP 01-25-2006 11:58 AM

In fact, (nothing personal, Mares ;)) Mares' question should make clear why the idea of closing the thread isn't a bad one. People posting here, with an exception of Snarky, Jeysie, possibly AudioSoldier (not sure about him, though, with his tendency to ignore big chunks of others' replies :shifty: ) and maybe a couple of others, don't bother to read/remember what happened far back in a thread as long as this one, and the same arguments/slogans are bound to come back in circles. I don't know about other people, but personally I'd find this extremely frustrating.

AudioSoldier 01-25-2006 12:21 PM

Ending it on this note? Paah. It makes it all seem so worthless! And I've written a few thousand words in this thread. Sheesh.

fov 01-25-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
Ending it on this note? Paah. It makes it all seem so worthless! And I've written a few thousand words in this thread. Sheesh.

As reflected by your post count. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snarky
I just don't understand the impulse to close a thread because you don't personally enjoy it.

I personally stopped enjoying it back in December. It's the going around in circles that made me suggest it.

So, yeah. Thanks for playing, everyone. Click here and give yourselves a big pat on the back. :)