Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Movie Trivia! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/12808-movie-trivia.html)

Sage 02-25-2006 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Now for my question:

3. Name this film -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...2/bddaabf5.jpg

Giant

3. What actor who later married the daughter of a member of a '70s comedy duo first appeared in E.T.?

Spiwak 02-25-2006 11:25 PM

3. Tom Howell

Though I think that screenshot was correctly answered already.

jjacob 02-25-2006 11:39 PM

Now I'm confused, is that shot Days of Heaven (as AFGNCAAP said) or Giant? :confused:

Anyway,

Now two relatively easy ones (so no cheating! :)):

1. Name this film:
http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ejacobm/film_a.jpg

5. Which actor who starred in a succesful 1970s TV series recently returned to the screen in a role which won him his fourth Golden Globe nomination?

Junkface 02-26-2006 12:13 AM

1. Brazil, and the scene which makes me love the movie so much.
New question: Which famous director earlier worked as an actor, including as a klansman in Birth of a Nation?

3. This is probably pretty easy but, Name two multi-plotted movies in which the protagonist's fate depended on catching a train.
Sliding Doors and Lola Rennt
New question: Which famous director also worked as an actor, before losing an eye when a jackrabbit leapt through the windscreen of his car? (sort of going for a theme here...)

Once A Villain 02-26-2006 01:04 AM

By the way guys, that picture WAS from Days of Heaven, not Giant. But nice try there Scott, ;)

Oh and jjacob, you should pull your new questions back...neither of your answers were correct. :P #5 is my question, so I know it's wrong. And Ninth guessed Cyrano de Bergerac on that other one long ago, and it was wrong.

Junkface, that means your replacement question for #1 no longer exists. Heh.

jjacob 02-26-2006 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkface
1. Brazil, and the scene which makes me love the movie so much.
New question: Which famous director earlier worked as an actor, including as a klansman in Birth of a Nation?

Yeah the ending is... wow. Anyway: John Ford?
New Question: Which movie by a world-famous director takes place entirely on a liferaft?

edit: Whoops sorry Once A Villain, shouldnt've assumed it was right :P I'll save this one for later then :)

Once A Villain 02-26-2006 01:14 AM

UPDATED LIST WITH ALL CONFUSION SIFTED OUT:

1. During the final speech of this movie, Gérard Depardieu's character gradually loses his voice. In fact, the actor really was barely able to speak after numerous reshoots, and the director decided his exhausted whisper will work great in said scene. Name the film.

Hint: After giving his moving speech, the character gets killed, in a very specific-to-his-times way.

(Consult AFGNAACP about this one...everyone says it's Cyrano and he says otherwise...)

2. What poet appears in an incredibly long movie reciting all 4000+ pages of one of his poems?

3. Which famous director also worked as an actor, before losing an eye when a jackrabbit leapt through the windscreen of his car?

4. Which really famous singer got a small part as a CIA agent in a strange (but famous) American movie?

5. What classic Western had a "Yee Haa scene" that was talked about and imitated by characters in a later film, City Slickers?

jjacob 02-26-2006 01:19 AM

1. 1900?

Once A Villain 02-26-2006 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjacob
edit: Whoops sorry Once A Villain, shouldnt've assumed it was right :P I'll save this one for later then :)

Well, I'm probably being too anal about this. A good question is a good question, after all. I'm just trying to keep things in order is all. Heh.

Besides, I'm starting to wonder about the Gerard Depardieu question... It has been there a long time and most people think it's Cyrano. I hope AFGNAACP clears this up soon.

jjacob 02-26-2006 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Hmm... So, to anybody who has seen Cyrano (I haven't): *does* Depardieu get a sore throat in the end there, too? If he does, maybe my source was wrong, or perhaps the same thing happened to him twice?

Actually, yes, I just found the VHS and went to the ending, his voice sounds like he has a really bad cold :P

jjacob 02-26-2006 01:27 AM

Quote:

Well, I'm probably being too anal about this. A good question is a good question, after all. I'm just trying to keep things in order is all. Heh.

Exactly, it's a good question, so you're not being anal :P
Quote:

Besides, I'm starting to wonder about the Gerard Depardieu question... It has been there a long time and most people think it's Cyrano. I hope AFGNAACP clears this up soon.

Well Cyrano is his most famous role (or to a lot of Americans, that'd be Green Card :P), so it's a logical mistake, besides, as I just said, his voice does sound terrible at the ending.

AFGNCAAP 02-26-2006 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjacob
Actually, yes, I just found the VHS and went to the ending, his voice sounds like he has a really bad cold :P

Does he fulfill the hint as well, ie. "gets killed, in a very specific-to-his-times way"? If yes, I'm willing to accept the answer, although I had another film in mind. :)

AFGNCAAP 02-26-2006 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkface
3. This is probably pretty easy but, Name two multi-plotted movies in which the protagonist's fate depended on catching a train.
Sliding Doors and Lola Rennt

What about Krzysztof Kieślowski's Przypadek?

jjacob 02-26-2006 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Does he fulfill the hint as well, ie. "gets killed, in a very specific-to-his-times way"? If yes, I'm willing to accept the answer, although I had another film in mind. :)

That he doesn't, he collapses from illness and a rather 'silly' injury, so that doesn't fit the bill. Is it "1900" though? That rather would fit the description if my memory serves me.

edit: BTW If 1900 is not correct and you do decide to accept Cyrano as the answer, I believe Ninth answered that first, so he gets do the next trivia question.

AFGNCAAP 02-26-2006 05:48 AM

No, not 1900. I'll give a final (?) hint; I guess I overestimated how well-known "my" movie is (and it deserves to be). Here goes.

1. During the final speech of this movie, Gérard Depardieu's character gradually loses his voice. In fact, the actor really was barely able to speak after numerous reshoots, and the director decided his exhausted whisper will work great in said scene. Name the film.

Hint #1: After giving his moving speech, the character gets killed, in a very specific-to-his-times way.

Hint #2: He is decapitated.

Just as a side note: the "Yee Haa" question had been around longer than that, I think, so some hint would be nice. Or I could start naming westerns which I haven't seen. Which may take a while. :) I start with Red River.

Lucien21 02-26-2006 05:50 AM

Jean de Florette. Depardieu dies at the end of that.

jjacob 02-26-2006 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21
Jean de Florette. Depardieu dies at the end of that.

That was my second choice, honest :P Now that you mention it it's vaguely coming back, it's been years since I saw that one.

AFGNCAAP 02-26-2006 06:12 AM

No. Decapitated. Specific to his times. Hmmm... when and where could that be? ;)

Lucien21 02-26-2006 06:13 AM

Danton

AFGNCAAP 02-26-2006 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21
Danton

Oui. :)