Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Movie Trivia! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/12808-movie-trivia.html)

Once A Villain 01-15-2006 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
2. In this classic, we never learn the names of most of the characters and the plot involves, among other things, two knifes, several votings and a simulation of an old man walking. Name the film.

Oh my, I think it just dawned on me! Is it 12 Angry Men?!

Quote:

4. Robby the Robot most famous for Forbidden Planet(1956) and the Lost in Space TV show (Danger Will Robinson!!) has made various guest appearances in other movies. name 2 80's movies in which he appears.
Gremlins and Earth Girls Are Easy.

REPLACEMENT QUESTIONS:

2. From these clues, name the film: A man collecting insects. A house in a pit with a woman inside. Sweat. Skin. Sex. No way out.

4. Name this film -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...2/27a5d396.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...2/20c71be0.jpg

Junkface 01-16-2006 12:27 AM

4. Un chien andalou. If I'm right, my replacement question is: Kurosawa's Yojimbo had an unauthorised remake by which Italian director?

Once A Villain 01-16-2006 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkface
4. Un chien andalou. If I'm right, my replacement question is: Kurosawa's Yojimbo had an unauthorised remake by which Italian director?

You are right. And the answer to yours is, of course, Sergio Leone with A Fistful of Dollars. :D

New #4:

What famous German filmmaker (who had made the move to Hollywood) died in a car accident in California on the very day that he finished editing his final film, just days before its premiere?

Karmillo 01-16-2006 02:51 AM

Is #2. Silence of the Lambs?

AFGNCAAP 01-16-2006 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
Is #2. Silence of the Lambs?

Either this, or The Collector (the 1960s film by Wiliam Wyler), methinks.

[toj.cc]Phantom 01-16-2006 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Once A Villain
New #4:

What famous German filmmaker (who had made the move to Hollywood) died in a car accident in California on the very day that he finished editing his final film, just days before its premiere?

I no I'm wrong but I'm hoping its Uwe :r Boll!

Ninth 01-16-2006 06:01 AM

1. is probably Cyrano de Bergerac.

Nevermind. I'm surprised, though.

Ninth 01-16-2006 06:08 AM

Quote:

New #4:

Sounds like Fritz Lang.

Oh wait, while checking Fritz Lang death, I stumbled upon this guy:
Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau

He seems to fit the bill.

ATMachine 01-16-2006 06:28 AM

Sorry for the delay, again. :frown:

3. Why was the release of Dr. Strangelove delayed for several months, and what minor change was made to the film as a result?

AFGNCAAP 01-16-2006 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
1. is probably Cyrano de Bergerac.

Nevermind. I'm surprised, though.

Hmm... So, to anybody who has seen Cyrano (I haven't): *does* Depardieu get a sore throat in the end there, too? If he does, maybe my source was wrong, or perhaps the same thing happened to him twice?

Once A Villain 01-16-2006 11:20 AM

About #2:

I was randomly asking a friend of mine yesterday if he knew the answer, and he said, "Silence of the Lambs right? Don't you mean a pit in a house?" Heh. I can see how people would think it is Silence of the Lambs because of the "pit with a woman inside" and the man who collects insects. But I do mean a house inside a pit, not the other way around. And sex plays a greater role in this film. Do I need to give the country of origin or some other hint? I couldn't get 12 Angry Men until AFGNCAAP elaborated so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
Sounds like Fritz Lang.

Oh wait, while checking Fritz Lang death, I stumbled upon this guy:
Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau

He seems to fit the bill.

Right you are Ninth!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATMachine
Sorry for the delay, again. :frown:

3. Why was the release of Dr. Strangelove delayed for several months, and what minor change was made to the film as a result?

Kennedy assassination. I believe the change was that ridiculous text at the beginning, the disclaimer I guess one would call it.

Quote:

Hmm... So, to anybody who has seen Cyrano (I haven't): *does* Depardieu get a sore throat in the end there, too? If he does, maybe my source was wrong, or perhaps the same thing happened to him twice?
I can't remember specifically enough to say for sure. I will say that Cyrano de Bergerac was my first guess as well, but you had already told someone that was wrong. Depardieu has made a ton of films and though I've seen many, I haven't seen them all, so I can't prove or disprove any answer I may give, lol.

UPDATED QUESTIONS:

1. During the final speech of this movie, Gérard Depardieu's character gradually loses his voice. In fact, the actor really was barely able to speak after numerous reshoots, and the director decided his exhausted whisper will work great in said scene. Name the film.

2. From these clues, name the film: A man collecting insects. A house in a pit with a woman inside. Sweat. Skin. Sex. No way out.

3. Name this film -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...2/678667b7.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...2/5ab55828.jpg

4. Ninth will provide this one soon.

5. What classic Western had a "Yee Haa scene" that was talked about and imitated by characters in a later film, City Slickers?

ATMachine 01-16-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Kennedy assassination. I believe the change was that ridiculous text at the beginning, the disclaimer I guess one would call it.

There was also one other, minor, change that I was looking for; a line got dubbed over. I was trying to ask who said it and what the line was.

Since you've replaced the question, I'll tell you: Slim Pickens' character (Major Kong) orignally said about the plane's Emergency Survival Kit, "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff." After Kennedy was killed in Dallas, the line was overdubbed to replace "Dallas" with "Vegas."

Once A Villain 01-16-2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATMachine
There was also one other, minor, change that I was looking for; a line got dubbed over. I was trying to ask who said it and what the line was.

Since you've replaced the question, I'll tell you: Slim Pickens' character (Major Kong) orignally said about the plane's Emergency Survival Kit, "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff." After Kennedy was killed in Dallas, the line was overdubbed to replace "Dallas" with "Vegas."

Oh cool, ha ha. I didn't even know that. But hey, they added the disclaimer too right? So I wasn't wrong, it just wasn't what you were looking for...correct? Because I'm pretty sure they mention that somewhere on the DVD, about the disclaimer.

Junkface 01-16-2006 11:22 PM

The Battle for Algiers? If so, Chinese cinematographer Du Ke Fung was originally of what nationality?

Once A Villain 01-17-2006 12:02 AM

Quote:

The Battle for Algiers? If so, Chinese cinematographer Du Ke Fung was originally of what nationality?

Good question. I'm a Wong Kar-Wai fan so I know his cinematographer, Christopher Doyle, is from Australia and called Du Ke Fung by the Chinese. Ninth would have known this too, but I beat him to it. He's the world's biggest Wong Kar-Wai fan I think... :)

New #3:

3. In what mysterious, dreamlike film classic are the three main characters only known as A, X, and M?

Ninth 01-17-2006 12:58 AM

4. Uh... Yeah, right.

4. Ok. Which really famous folk singer got a small part as a CIA agent in a strange (but famous) american movie?

AFGNCAAP 01-21-2006 03:17 AM

It's alive!

Quote:

3. In what mysterious, dreamlike film classic are the three main characters only known as A, X, and M?
Last Year in Marienbad, wicked film. The "A, X and M" was news to me, but I should have figured it out it anyway. :)

QUESTIONS:

1. During the final speech of this movie, Gérard Depardieu's character gradually loses his voice. In fact, the actor really was barely able to speak after numerous reshoots, and the director decided his exhausted whisper will work great in said scene. Name the film.

3. Which literary character was renamed when played in a movie by Paul Newman, and why?

4. Ok. Which really famous folk singer got a small part as a CIA agent in a strange (but famous) american movie?

5. What classic Western had a "Yee Haa scene" that was talked about and imitated by characters in a later film, City Slickers?

I think the longest standing ones need some kind of hints. Here's mine to #1: after giving his moving speech, the character gets killed, in a very specific-to-his-times way.

Junkface 01-21-2006 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
3. Which literary character was renamed when played in a movie by Paul Newman, and why?

If a graphic novel counts as literary, John Looney, in Road to Perdition, became John Rooney for the movie, presumably to distance him from the real life gangster, who I'm not sure actually existed.

AFGNCAAP 01-21-2006 05:35 AM

Quote:

If a graphic novel counts as literary, John Looney, in Road to Perdition, became John Rooney for the movie, presumably to distance him from the real life gangster, who I'm not sure actually existed.

I was thinking of Ross MacDonald's private eye Lew Archer becoming the titular character of the excellent Harper, because the producers figured that recent Newman movies Hud and Hustler had both been successful, and wanted something beginning with the letter 'H' again. ( :crazy: )

That said, your answer fits the question, and I learnt something new thanks to it, so I'll accept it. :)

Junkface 01-21-2006 05:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, now I've got a new story to use in my "producers are idiots" rants.

Anyway, my question is: the attached image is from what film?