Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Movie Trivia! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/12808-movie-trivia.html)

Once A Villain 01-13-2006 11:44 AM

Movie Trivia!

Ok, I was thinking...I'll start with 5 questions. If you get one or more right, you replace the questions you got right with your own questions, and leave the others as they are. And the game goes on... The questions can be just about anything, as long as the common theme remains "Movies". I might be starting out kind of hard, so if extra hints are needed, just ask. Ok here we go...

1. There were generally considered to be three "giants" in American silent film comedy. Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and who else?

2. When Orson Welles was asked who his favorite filmmakers of all time were, his response was: "I like the Old Masters, by which I mean..." and he proceeded to name only one director three separate times. Who was the director?

3. Akira Kurosawa attempted suicide after his first color film bombed. Name the film.

4. This 1952 French film, set during World War II, was about a little girl obsessed with death after witnessing the murder of her parents and dog. She befriends a young boy who helps her to steal crosses so they can bury all kinds of dead animals in their own little cemetary. Name the film.

5. The 1998 movie A Perfect Murder, starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Michael Douglas, was obviously inspired by what Alfred Hitchcock film?

Maquisard 01-13-2006 11:46 AM

Just a thought. It may be better to have the first person to answer a question right replace that particular question on the list of five with one of his or her own.

Once A Villain 01-13-2006 11:47 AM

I like Mares suggestion. Do what he says. :)

EDIT: Ok, I changed the rules in the original post. Thanks Mares.

Melanie68 01-13-2006 12:05 PM

1. There were generally considered to be three "giants" in American silent film comedy. Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and who else?

Harold Lloyd

5. The 1998 movie A Perfect Murder, starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Michael Douglas, was obviously inspired by what Alfred Hitchcock film?

Dial M for Murder?

The only two I know off the top of my head

Once A Villain 01-13-2006 12:15 PM

Ok Melanie, now you create two new questions in place of the ones you got right. :)

SamandMax 01-13-2006 12:37 PM

2. John Ford

Here's the replacement question:

2. Which famous horror movie was Walter Hill originally set to direct?

Melanie68 01-13-2006 12:56 PM

My questions:

Who originally screen tested for Benjamin (later played by Dustin Hoffman) in The Graduate?

Who did William Wyler want to play the part of Princess Ann in Roman Holiday (which later went to Audrey Hepburn)?

Once A Villain 01-13-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamandMax
2. John Ford

Here's the replacement question:

2. Which famous horror movie was Walter Hill originally set to direct?

Alien

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
My questions:

Who originally screen tested for Benjamin (later played by Dustin Hoffman) in The Graduate?

Robert Redford

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
Who did William Wyler want to play the part of Princess Ann in Roman Holiday (which later went to Audrey Hepburn)?

Jean Simmons

Ok, revised question list upcoming:

Once A Villain 01-13-2006 01:15 PM

Here's the revised question list:

1. In Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange, the character Alex terrorizes an old man and his wife in their house, and later in the film after his "treatment", he returns to the same house. During both visits, there is a sign outside the house that says a simple four letter word. What's the word?

2. Name the instrument used to create the very memorable and famous musical theme for The Third Man.

3. Akira Kurosawa attempted suicide after his first color film bombed. Name the film.

4. This 1952 French film, set during World War II, was about a little girl obsessed with death after witnessing the murder of her parents and dog. She befriends a young boy who helps her to steal crosses so they can bury all kinds of dead animals in their own little cemetary. Name the film.

5. What is the famous final line of the Billy Wilder comedy, Some Like it Hot? Hint: Two words.

Trunkyo 01-13-2006 02:20 PM

2. The zither
3. Dodes(u)kaden
5. "(Well), nobody's perfect."

Replacement questions:

What was the original title of Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest?

What 1960s murder mystery featured 5 heavily-disguised actors in cameo roles?

During what activity did Gilbert Lowell somehow break his leg in Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise?

Once A Villain 01-13-2006 03:07 PM

Interesting. Only one of the original questions remains unsolved. Good work. :) Ok moving on...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunkyo
2. The zither
3. Dodes(u)kaden
5. "(Well), nobody's perfect."

Replacement questions:

What was the original title of Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest?

What 1960s murder mystery featured 5 heavily-disguised actors in cameo roles?

During what activity did Gilbert Lowell somehow break his leg in Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise?

2. The Man in Lincoln's Nose

3. The List of Adrian Messenger

5. A chess accident, ha ha. Otherwise known as a humorous way of saying, "Anthony Edwards only agrees to a small cameo role in this crappy movie."

Replacement questions:

2. The legendary "Odessa Steps" sequence in Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin, was the obvious inspiration behind a sequence in what popular 80's film?

3. Name this film -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...2/bd9dd038.jpg

5. In what film did Bette Davis say: "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!"?

Trunkyo 01-13-2006 10:49 PM

Quote:

1. In Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange, the character Alex terrorizes an old man and his wife in their house, and later in the film after his "treatment", he returns to the same house. During both visits, there is a sign outside the house that says a simple four letter word. What's the word?
HOME (I had to check my VHS copy of the film to make sure! ;))

Quote:

Jeux interdits (Forbidden Games)

Quote:

5. In what film did Bette Davis say: "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!"?
All About Eve (Easy one! :D)

OK, now the new questions:

1. What was the name of the Shanghai nightclub appearing at the beginning of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

4. Which actor, appearing briefly in Billion Dollar Brain, also provided the voice of the titular supercomputer?

5. (Another easy one!) In what film are the musical notes B flat, C, A flat, A flat (one octave lower) and E flat of major significance?

Melanie68 01-13-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunkyo
5. (Another easy one!) In what film are the musical notes B flat, C, A flat, A flat (one octave lower) and E flat of major significance?

Close Encounters of the Third Kind :)

Edit: Updated question list:

1. What was the name of the Shanghai nightclub appearing at the beginning of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

2. The legendary "Odessa Steps" sequence in Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin, was the obvious inspiration behind a sequence in what popular 80's film?

3. Name this film -

4. Which actor, appearing briefly in Billion Dollar Brain, also provided the voice of the titular supercomputer?

5. Why did Buddy Ebsen have to bow out of the role of The Tinman in The Wizard of Oz?

Once A Villain 01-14-2006 12:03 AM

ANSWER: Club Obi-Wan

ANSWER: Donald Sutherland

5. Why did Buddy Ebsen have to bow out of the role of The Tinman in The Wizard of Oz?

ANSWER: He was allergic to the makeup.

UPDATED QUESTION LIST:

1. Name the 60's French film, considered a masterpiece of the medium, where the central character was actually a donkey, and some believe a metaphor for Jesus Christ?

3. Name this film -

4. What famous 60's Swedish film has a sequence where two actresses appear to merge into one?

5. Name this film -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...2/8b6f2001.jpg

Melanie68 01-14-2006 12:07 AM

Oh dear :frown: Those are hard.

AFGNCAAP 01-14-2006 12:11 AM

Quote:

Untouchables
General

2. Three consecutive episodes of what series entered the main competition of Venice, Berlin and Cannes festival, respectively?

5. Which actor played on screen three different parts from Hamlet in three different films of the 1990s?

Hamham Chan 01-14-2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Once A Villain
4. What famous 60's Swedish film has a sequence where two actresses appear to merge into one?

Persona?

Once A Villain 01-14-2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
2. Three consecutive episodes of what series entered the main competition of Venice, Berlin and Cannes festival, respectively?

Krzysztof Kiesloski's Three Colors trilogy (Blue, White, and Red)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
5. Which actor played on screen three different parts from Hamlet in three different films of the 1990s?

Michael Maloney. This was trickiest question yet. I knew he played in Mel Gobson's Hamlet in 1990 and Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet in 1996. I was stumped until I recalled that he was the character who plays Hamlet in Branagh's Midwinter's Tale. Great question, heh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
Persona?

That's correct, now you have to think of a question to replace #4. :)

Replacement Questions for #2 and #5:

2. In the climax of this Japanese film, a steady barrage of real arrows were fired from offscreen by expert archers to land within inches of the lead actor. His terrified look is 100% honest, no acting required. Name the film.

5. Name this 1960 French classic -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...2/54ab00bf.jpg

Lucien21 01-14-2006 11:00 AM

2. Hero ??

AFGNCAAP 01-14-2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Michael Maloney. This was trickiest question yet. I knew he played in Mel Gobson's Hamlet in 1990 and Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet in 1996. I was stumped until I recalled that he was the character who plays Hamlet in Branagh's Midwinter's Tale. Great question, heh.

I am a self-proclaimed Shakespeare's/Branagh's junkie, so I'm glad you liked it. :)
Quote:

5. Name this 1960 French classic -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...2/54ab00bf.jpg
Breathless is the English title, I think. EDIT: À bout de souffle

A new, possibly easy, number 5:

5. Name the actress who played... her own grandmother.