Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Game you're playing. How far you are. (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/14062-game-youre-playing-how-far-you.html)

Crunchy in milk 03-17-2008 10:52 PM

AW: Days of Ruin - Intelligent Systems make awesome turn based strategy games.

Space Invaders Extreme - The video backgrounds are epileptic but the way your fight syncs to the music is very addictive.

Apollo Justice - I want to murder the authors of 'Turnabout Serenade'. The game isn't as polished as its predecessors and the humor more crude/obvious.

Titan Quest (+immortal throne) - I think I've finally found a decent build that has lots to do (Haruspex -dream/hunting). The special moves for many masteries are snooze worthy and so fighting waves of repetitive monsters gets dull fast. I've reached Egypt with this build. Chances are good I'll start playing Sudeki instead of finishing Titan Quest...

RLacey 03-25-2008 05:03 AM

After many (failed) attempts to get Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine working on Windows XP, I've just found out that it runs perfectly on my Vista SP1 installation!

Of course, it's been so long since I was last able to play it that I have no idea how I got to where I did. So I'm starting again from the beginning. But it's time for some more Dr Jonesing, methinks!

RLacey 03-25-2008 01:13 PM

... and now I'm a couple of levels into Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. It's still good fun, despite being terribly dated now, both graphically and in some of the design decisions.

And the controls are as bad as I remember them being originally. Oh well. It's all about the story and the Jones vibe anyway, and in the case of the latter this delivers. I'd love a version of this in the Emperor's Tomb engine, though...

Catbert 03-27-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 461276)
Half Life 2 - Episode 1
Trying to get through the game on hard using nothing other than the gravity gun (X360 achievement). Some parts of the game gets really hard having to rely on debris to take out the enemies :)

Hmm I thought the soldiers were humans who'd joined Breen? I thought the Combine were those Hutt-like beings occasionally seen on screens throughout the game. Anyway, you're not the first pointing out that everything is explained throughout the game. I just need to pay attention I guess :-/

Yeah they are humans, but they've been Combinized :P. I think the only real "Combine" you see are the advisors, which you'll see around Breen later on. Then there are the Vorts which were enslaved by the final boss in HL1. By killing him, you freed them, but also opened up the gateway for the combine to invade Earth. Some years later, the G-man sends you in. The rest is pretty much explained in the game, I think.

MdaG 03-28-2008 04:15 AM

Final Fantasy Tactics - War of the Lions

Been playing this on and off during my easter holiday. It's the perfect distraction when the kids (not my own) in my family start making too much noise...

Anyway, I'm about 20 hours in fighting Wiegraf for the second time in that monastery. This game is mesmerizing. It's got all the Final Fantasy traits except for the boring combat. There is interesting story and enjoyable combat, fantastic! :D

After this I think I'll look up for "Tactics"-games. Disgaea - Afternoon of Darkness (or whatever) is probably next. I've already played Fallout - Tactics, which was also good. but not as good as this one.

RLacey 03-30-2008 02:26 PM

They put a countdown timer on the last boss for Portal?

B*****ds.

Starflux 03-31-2008 12:45 AM

Yeah. But it's pretty logical considering it's just another puzzle. Otherwise there'd have been no real pressure to speak of, because dying is hardly a reasonable threat.

Currently I'm playing through the original NES Legend of Zelda, and I'm loving it completely. It's so obscure in its puzzles, it doesn't aid you a single bit (later generations of games would always provide some clues on where to bomb walls and stuff, and wouldn't give you a barrier without instructions on how to surpass it) and it's tough as nails. But it's fantastic. The atmosphere is absolutely great and I love how in complete contrast to most games, it starts out bleedingly difficult because you have NOTHING, but then it progressively gets easier and easier as you become stronger. Now THAT's a feeling of progress! If you think about it, it's actually strange and counterintuitive that most games (RPG's no less) start out very easy, but get harder as you are supposed to get stronger. Both sides have valid points of course, but I just really like it in this game that I'm totally owning it already with my twelve hearts and many brilliant items cutting damage in half etc.

RLacey 03-31-2008 05:26 AM

Yeah. I was just a tad pissed off when, having played for a couple of hours to reach the end of the game, I then lost and realised that my mid-last level save didn't give me enough time to finish things.

Bad day, yesterday. Excuse my outburst, because it's actually been a great game.

Starflux 03-31-2008 02:06 PM

Hey, no one can decide for you how you should feel about a game =)

I'm at the fifth dungeon of Legend of Zelda now and it's getting hard again. But properly hard; as in it's no longer the struggling with controls that's making it difficult but placing of enemies in rooms. I still love it though. I'm amazed at how much of the Zelda legacy is already in place here. And I got a bit of a shock when I got the Flute and when I used it it played the same theme from Mario Bros 3's flute and a little twister appeared the whisk me away. That was great.

Giligan 03-31-2008 04:03 PM

I'm on the fifth mission of Army of Two. It's not a bad game, by any means. The graphics are nice, and the production values were obviously very high. Which is the problem. The game feels exactly like what it is, a game made by suits at a soulless, uncreative, non-risk taking corporation, that gave the game a massive budget. Unfortunately, it takes a lot more than a big budget to make a great game.

Jehane 03-31-2008 05:10 PM

Lost: Via Domus, chapter 5. Phew. Almost through with that... game. No, I don't like it. Not at all.

MdaG 04-01-2008 12:23 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics - War of the Lions
Just finished my second boss* battle about 30h in (!?) after two hours of grinding up my levels. This game is so much fun! It's the first time I've played anything remotely JRPG and found grinding satisfying. It might however be because grinding has so far not been anything common. I think I've only had to level up before a battle this one time. Just made an order for Disgaea - Afternoon of Darkness as I hear it's similar to FFT.

Spoiler:
Only counting Lucavi as bosses. Anyway it was Wiegraf turned into that Belial.

nmge 04-02-2008 05:13 PM

I was rooting around in an old box the other day and found Icewind Dale 2. Unsurprisingly it is very similar to icewind dale, little dialouge, and the story is a bit prosiac, none the less, I found it familiar and quite fun.
Not in the same class as Planscape:Torment, but then again, what was? Good fun mind you, if you like building mages rather than bases.

N.

Nelza 04-03-2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giligan (Post 464217)
I'm on the fifth mission of Army of Two. It's not a bad game, by any means. The graphics are nice, and the production values were obviously very high. Which is the problem. The game feels exactly like what it is, a game made by suits at a soulless, uncreative, non-risk taking corporation, that gave the game a massive budget. Unfortunately, it takes a lot more than a big budget to make a great game.

This game is A LOT more fun if you play co-op. Hence the name really? :D I'm just assuming that you're playing single-player at the moment... are you?

At the moment I've just started playing Lost Odyssey. I'm really liking it so far! Amazing intro, amazing graphics. I've only just entered the town so have hardly made a dent but I'm already so excited! :D

Jehane 04-03-2008 09:41 AM

Will start to play Cleopatra in a moment; after the disappointment that was Lost: Via Domus, I'm dying to play a real adventure. So far, Kheops studios have never let me down :)

MdaG 04-05-2008 09:41 AM

Resident Evil Zero
Currently wandering around some academy where supposedly Albert Wesker studied once. This game isn't as scary as Resident Evil, mostly due to the point that ammo isn't in as short supply (as in the first game) and one doesn't have to burn zombies after putting them down. In the first game they would revive as a far more dangerous foe if left alone without fire or decapitation. Still, it's enjoyable.

Giligan 04-05-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelza (Post 464632)
This game is A LOT more fun if you play co-op. Hence the name really? :D I'm just assuming that you're playing single-player at the moment... are you?

Actually, no, which makes me wonder just how bad it would be if I tried it without a co-op buddy. :P

MdaG 04-10-2008 11:14 AM

Resident Evil - Code Veronica X
Just started the game and realized that there's no 60Hz mode !? (I have the PAL version). Not only that, the graphics are considerably worse than Resident Evil 0 and 1. It's in full 3D, but I prefer the pre rendered background of the first two games. It made for a far nicer view. Granted, those games were made after Veronica X. Anyway, just got bit by my first zombie :P

SnorkleCat 04-11-2008 04:41 AM

Yikes! This is my first post in ages and ages....
Games I have been playing...erm...World of Warcraft. Level 66 Undead Warlock, several alts......no end in sight...eep. I have not played an adventure game since October. That was Myst 2 which I still have not finished, but enjoyed :/

Lucien21 04-13-2008 01:55 PM

Finished Disc 3 (of 4) in Lost Odyssey.

My characters are all in the high 30's level wise and can now kick some serious booty. Which is just as well as the monsters are getting stronger.