Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   The Sex Thread (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/10961-sex-thread.html)

Jatsie 03-28-2006 03:00 PM

While we're on the topic, one thing that confuses me about gay relationships is, with the absence of traditional gender roles, who is supposed to take the lead?

For example:
Some might call me old fashioned, but I've always believed in such things as chivalry and good etiquette. If I were dating a woman, as a gentleman I would be sure to open the car door for her, pull out her chair in a restaurant, etc.

While that might not be considered typical behaviour for all, there are countless situations in traditional relationships where it's dictated that the man would take lead. So in a same sex relationship how does one know what kind of actions are appropriate, and whose place it would be to perform them?

Sage 03-28-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jat316sob
While we're on the topic, one thing that confuses me about gay relationships is, with the absence of traditional gender roles, who is supposed to take the lead?

Ideally, it should be an equal partnership.

Quote:

For example:
Some might call me old fashioned, but I've always believed in such things as chivalry and good etiquette. If I were dating a woman, as a gentleman I would be sure to open the car door for her, pull out her chair in a restaurant, etc.

Tell your mother I said you were raised right, and thank her for me.

Quote:

While that might not be considered typical behaviour for all, there are countless situations in traditional relationships where it's dictated that the man would take lead. So in a same sex relationship how does one know what kind of actions are appropriate, and whose place it would be to perform them?

Everyone is different, but these are some rules I observe:
Whoever is driving the car should open the door for the passenger(s) before opening their own door. Gender, relationship, or age do not affect this rule.
A gentleman should always hold the door open for a lady and allow her to enter first. Whenever there are only gentlemen in a group, which ever gentleman reaches the door first should hold it open for the rest of the group.
On a date, whoever does the asking is honor-bound to do the paying as well. As the relationship progresses this rule becomes negotiable, but for the first few dates it is carved in stone.
The pulling out of chairs isn't practiced much in the US except by maitre d's, but logically the one who does the asking and the paying should also do the chair-pulling.
When on a sidewalk, a gentleman always walks between the lady and the curb. I find myself doing this with guys, but it's not a conscious thing.
When crossing a street, a gentleman must always offer his arm to a lady. I've caught myself doing this with guys as well.
There are all sorts of other rules, but these are the basics. Did they help to answer your questions?

Karmillo 03-28-2006 03:52 PM

Its the end of an era...

Sage 03-28-2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo

I know buddy...I know.
(((Karmillo)))

Jatsie 03-28-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Did they help to answer your questions?

Thank you for your detailed reply.
I was curious how traditional dating 'rules' would transfer over from their original intended application, - whether people would just scrap most of them, or one person would take it upon themself to perform them, - and it was interesting to see how you adapted them to suit the situation.

I know that if a guy treated me like a lady I would be flattered, but I did wonder if it might make others in that position uncomfortable.

Your comment on who should pay was useful, I had never really considered it before, but I had just assumed people would split the bill. Your "who asks pays" solution seems logical to me.

Now I just have to find a guy with whom I can put this in practice. hehe.

RLacey 03-28-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo

Aah! The end of Sex!

Fantastic!

Sage 03-28-2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your detailed reply.

You're most welcome.

Quote:

I was curious how traditional dating 'rules' would transfer over from their original intended application, - whether people would just scrap most of them, or one person would take it upon themself to perform them, - and it was interesting to see how you adapted them to suit the situation.

I know that if a guy treated me like a lady I would be flattered, but I did wonder if it might make others in that position uncomfortable.

I don't think of it as "treating someone like a lady" so much as I think of it as treating someone with respect and deference. The two are pretty much the same thing, but there are those who place great importance on the semantics of the description.
For example, my friend Tim used to get hopping mad every time I went to open a car door for him because he felt it diminished his masculinity. He would whisper through clenched teeth "Don't open that door! Unlock it from the inside!" every time.

Quote:

Your comment on who should pay was useful, I had never really considered it before, but I had just assumed people would split the bill. Your "who asks pays" solution seems logical to me.

Again, thank you Sir.

Quote:

Now I just have to find a guy with whom I can put this in practice. hehe.

Ask and ye shall receive. Are there no gay pubs where you live? I can recommend a couple of personals sites, but they're a very iffy proposition at best.

Intrepid Homoludens 03-28-2006 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Aah! The end of Sex!

Fantastic!

;) Why are you so afraid of sex, Robsie? It's perfectly natural, very beautiful, an incredible way to people to bond, and when done responsibly is just one of the most exquisite experiences of life.

Lucien21 03-28-2006 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
;) Why are you so afraid of sex, Robsie? It's perfectly natural, very beautiful, an incredible way to people to bond, and when done responsibly is just one of the most exquisite experiences of life.

Done wrong it can be a pain in the arse :D

Intrepid Homoludens 03-28-2006 09:39 PM

Ouch.

Jelena 03-28-2006 11:00 PM

Thanks Scott for answering my curious questions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
One in ten of you is one of us, although I suspect the percentage might actually be a bit higher.

That´s why I think it´s strange there aren´t any around me. As a country we´re fairly openminded but I live in (right outside) a small town with very much small town mentallity.I´m sure that could be a problem to come out of the closet.

Quote:

You have already made one gay friend,
Thanks Scott! That means a lot!:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeysie
Lena: Not to disappoint you, but, based on my experiences with my own gay friends, I doubt your talks about relationship topics with gay people would be hugely different than talking about those things with straight people.

I know some gay folks who are promiscuous, or at least polygamous, but most of them are just interested in finding someone they can date monogamously and perhaps even marry one day. Same "variety" of views and opinions as my straight friends, really.

That wasn´t really what I aimed at. I guess love is love wherever it shows up. We all what to love and be loved. My questions are more like what are the possibilities of getting married/registered partnership, how is it accepted in the community and family.

And one issue is ways of having children when you want to in a homosexual relationship. For instance this really handsome singer/actor called Rikard Wolf http://www.reportagebyran.se/repo04/...kt-04/wolf.JPG(wonderful voice, did the dubbing for Scar in The Lion king so you can imagine his voice is deep and mysterious like Jeremy Irons) recently had a baby with his parter. The mother is another very popular, gay Swedish writer/stand up comedian`s sister. Are you following?
I guess the actual conceiving was in a lab.;)
He´s a proud dad and the mom lives in the same house as he does, in another apartement with her parter, which will make it easy for the child to have access to and live with both parents.
Another issue is adoption. In Sweden it´s possible to adopt as a homosexual couple, but I don´t think it has happend yet since the countries where the children are do not approve of homosexual parents.

EDIT: R.Wolf often sing French chansons (spelling?), I just love him.

NcroManiac 03-29-2006 01:21 AM

Lapis

Ninth 03-29-2006 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Does he know you call him your "beau-du-jour"? That's kinda insulting, I think. Like he's a one-night-stand, or something. If I were he, I'd make you pay for that - 'course you'd probably like that! LOL :D

Lynsie

The way I understand it, it means something like "current boyfriend", which does imply a frequent change of boyfriend, but which doesn't really mean one-night-stand. Of course, I wouldn't like that at all if I were the said beau.

I like the expression, though. :)

AlleyCat 03-29-2006 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Forget about it, shagging's the BEST!

seebaruk 03-29-2006 04:35 AM

Good to see this threads back to basics :) Ahhhh, you can't beat a dirty shag.

NcroManiac 03-29-2006 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seebaruk
Ahhhh, you can't beat a dirty shag.

Jackie Gleason would disagree with you.

AlleyCat 03-29-2006 04:47 AM

Quote:

damn straight!
Who the hell is Jackie Gleason? He or she needs a dirty shag!

SCRUGAtes13 03-29-2006 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlleyCat
Quote:

damn straight!
Who the hell is Jackie Gleason? He or she needs a dirty shag!

hahahahaha

Sage 03-29-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
The way I understand it, it means something like "current boyfriend", which does imply a frequent change of boyfriend, but which doesn't really mean one-night-stand. Of course, I wouldn't like that at all if I were the said beau.

I like the expression, though. :)

I was told it meant "man of the day". A friend of mine used to use it to describe his rather transient affairs, so I guess it really isn't appropriate.
It's just that every time I hear the term "boyfriend", I flash back to "Young Frankenstein" and hear Cloris Leachman (as Frau Blücher) proclaiming "He vas my BOYFRIENT!!". Not exactly a romantic image, that.

NcroManiac 03-29-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlleyCat
Who the hell is Jackie Gleason?

http://recollectionbooks.com/bleed/images/BB/hm1.jpg
Pow! Right in the kisser!