Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   A poll: Are fangames bad, by definition? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/12798-poll-fangames-bad-definition.html)

Squinky 01-13-2006 06:03 PM

In that respect, I suppose you could say that Cubert Badbone was a fan game, seeing as it was very much The Neverhood Meets Grim Fandango in the way I developed the style of the characters...

Still, when it comes to fan-made creations, the best ones tend to be the ones that have more original content in them.

Maquisard 01-13-2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnGreenArt
I'd just like to point out that the term "fan game" can be interpretted to mean "game made by a fan of the genre", ie, it can just mean adventure games in general. It doesn't have to mean a specific series or character. Many people have made original adventure games because they are fans of many other adventure games.

That's a valid interpretation. I like gaming definitions to be more precise though.

CrimsonBlue 01-14-2006 01:00 AM

I don't think ANYTHING is bad "by definition". You can't rule out quality in anything.

Melanie68 01-14-2006 01:08 AM

Off the top of my head, the indie/free games I've really enjoyed (there may be a few more that I don't remember now):
  1. Apprentice I
  2. Apprentice II
  3. Ben Jordan I-IV
  4. Gaea Fallen
  5. No Action Jackson
  6. Out of Order

AudioSoldier 01-14-2006 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
Off the top of my head, the indie/free games I've really enjoyed (there may be a few more that I don't remember now):
  1. Apprentice I
  2. Apprentice II
  3. Ben Jordan I-IV
  4. Gaea Fallen
  5. No Action Jackson
  6. Out of Order

You've enjoyed them to the degree of the enjoyment a commercial game could give you, or simply because the thought of those games being free made them absolutely worth playing?

AudioSoldier 01-14-2006 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
I don't think ANYTHING is bad "by definition". You can't rule out quality in anything.

Perhaps you *shouldn't*, but when you continually play poor "fan creations" you begin to doubt the emergence of a good one.

Melanie68 01-14-2006 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
You've enjoyed them to the degree of the enjoyment a commercial game could give you, or simply because the thought of those games being free made them absolutely worth playing?

I just liked them. At the time, I didn't have a ton of money to buy new games so I found these, read the descriptions and tried them. They were fun. I liked the stories. The graphics in the Ben Jordan games are simplistic in comparison to even No Action Jackson (which kind of has a Day of the Tentacle vibe to it) or Out of Order but the stories were interesting (they got better with each Ben Jordan) and the puzzles were fun. Being free certainly helped at the time. :P It made me take a look at them certainly but it wasn't the only factor.

Hammerite 01-14-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
Noooooo not MI2, MI:2

oh.
yarreet then.

Maquisard 01-14-2006 12:03 PM

To be realistic, there are commercial games that, for all their graphical prowess, sound quality and impressive cut-scenes, aren't worth your time and money. I daresay there are amateur games out there from which you can glean more enjoyment, character and story-wise than from certain commercial releases. Limiting how entertaining a game can be based on whether you have to pay for it or not is just narrow-minded. The exchange of monies does not equal quality. From what I've heard, the best sex is free. ;)

And what it comes down to in Audio-soldier's mind, methinks, is: If you had a choice between getting a pretty commercial release with a bad story and a homely amateur release with a good story, both of them free, which one would you pick? And we all know there are ways out there to get commercial games for free, so it's not such a far-fetched question. I, for instance, dropped Runaway very early in the game. I'd venture to say that Circe du Zale (which I finished, albeit in a short time), was much more entertaining, and a far better investment of my time. :P

The Seed 01-14-2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
I, for instance, dropped Runaway very early in the game. I'd venture to say that Circe du Zale (which I finished, albeit in a short time), was much more entertaining, and a far better investment of my time. :P

I'd say that about quite a few of the amature adventures Iv'e played.

stuboy 01-14-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

I'd just like to point out that the term "fan game" can be interpretted to mean "game made by a fan of the genre", ie, it can just mean adventure games in general. It doesn't have to mean a specific series or character. Many people have made original adventure games because they are fans of many other adventure games.

Fair enough. But that's like saying Half-Life 2 was a Wolfenstein fangame and that Wolfenstein was a Midi Maze fan game. Nonsensical.

"You talking to me" - sorry, I posted in an old window before I read your post. Check the times :)

I finished playing "Enter The Matrix" today. That game was unfinished and slapdash in places, and I can honestly say I would rather have played another "Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment" or "Phleurgburg". Which one did gullible fan-boy me hand over shiny pennys for? Was it the original, well made and entertaining games, or the commercial game that was like a bad movie tribute "Max Payne" mod (With, not forgetting that ultimate indicator of gaming quality, fancy cutscenes)?

Dasilva 01-14-2006 12:50 PM

Tell me about the Matrix game sucked so much. The graphical glitches were constant, the gameplay was clunky and horrible. And the missions were crap.

friarphil 01-15-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

I supose that could be a definition of a fan game, but I find it generally isnt used that way. A majority of the time the term "Fan Game" is used specifically to define unlicensed games made by a fan of a specific title,franchise, or character. The attempt is made to "further the adventures of...". The same goes for fan fiction.

This certainly does not make Fan Games bad by definition. Still, the original property usually has it's large fan base because the developers were able to skillfully use their talent and knowledge to create a memorabe experience. "Fans" rarely have the same level of experience and training to achieve the same results. Occasionally a gem does appear. Not often, but enough to say that not all fan games are crap, but you will have to sift through alot of sewage to find one that shines!

After a brisk nap 01-15-2006 02:57 PM

Agreed, friarphil. Apparently the poll is meant to refer to both fan-games as well as original non-commercial titles.

In order to avoid the somewhat negative connotations of "amateur game", I sometimes use "home-made adventure game". Don't know if it helps, but it should be reasonably accurate, at least.

Maquisard 01-16-2006 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snarky
Agreed, friarphil. Apparently the poll is meant to refer to both fan-games as well as original non-commercial titles.

In order to avoid the somewhat negative connotations of "amateur game", I sometimes use "home-made adventure game". Don't know if it helps, but it should be reasonably accurate, at least.

I like that. Like home-made cooking, it implies a touch of love in what you produce.

Squinky 01-16-2006 08:18 AM

By that logic, AudioSoldier must spend a lot of money at restaurants...

the gnome 01-16-2006 08:54 AM

Just a thought:

Adventure Games (and video games in general) are or at leasting ar approaching Art. Art isn't judged by how much it's charged.
Van Ghogh for example couldn't support himself by painting...

'Professionalism' has (actually) nothing to do with Art (or even art).

AudioSoldier 01-16-2006 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the gnome
Just a thought:

Adventure Games (and video games in general) are or at leasting ar approaching Art. Art isn't judged by how much it's charged.
Van Ghogh for example couldn't support himself by painting...

'Professionalism' has (actually) nothing to do with Art (or even art).

You'd have to be pretty pretentious to pass off a viedogame as art.

Dasilva 01-16-2006 12:34 PM

*Kisses AudioSoldier*

Intrepid Homoludens 01-16-2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
You'd have to be pretty pretentious to pass off a viedogame as art.

How come you never post in Chit Chat?