Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   A poll: Are fangames bad, by definition? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/12798-poll-fangames-bad-definition.html)

Wormsie 01-13-2006 03:36 AM

A poll: Are fangames bad, by definition?

We all know from which thread this poll spawns... So, do you think it is absolutely impossible for a game to be good if it is released as freeware and made by dedicated enthusiasts?

EDIT: I apologise for the use of the term "fangame" as a term meaning all amateur adventure games. Shouldn't have been so hasty.

Karmillo 01-13-2006 03:44 AM

I voted other...well when i voted i had a reason but Ive kinda forgot it now...:crazy:

Ill post when I remember what it is

The Seed 01-13-2006 04:00 AM

I have enjoyed some of the amature adventures based on the authors own ideas (i.e. 5 Days A Stranger, the Apprentice series, Out of Order), but I'm not so much a fan of amature games based on existing adventure game franchises, I think they can come off kind of...tacky.

Karmillo 01-13-2006 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Seed
I have enjoyed some of the amature adventures based on the authors own ideas (i.e. 5 Days A Stranger, the Apprentice series, Out of Order), but I'm not so much a fan of amature games based on existing adventure game franchises, I think they can come off kind of...tacky.

Most of the time they can be, but when they dont take themselves seriously like MI:2 Lechucks revenge they can be great :D

Dasilva 01-13-2006 07:42 AM

Fan games are the sould of the community.

So does this mean that Fan art is shit? Is fan fiction shit?

Same thing applies to fangames. Art & fiction can be bad, and it can be amazing too, same with fan games.

People dont seem to realize the farmiliarity and throw the name 'fan' around too much.

Hammerite 01-13-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
Most of the time they can be, but when they dont take themselves seriously like MI:2 Lechucks revenge they can be great :D

What are you on about?
MI2 wasnt a fangame!!

Karmillo 01-13-2006 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerite
What are you on about?
MI2 wasnt a fangame!!

Noooooo not MI2, MI:2

Dale Baldwin 01-13-2006 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
Noooooo not MI2, MI:2

Noooooo not MI:2, M:I-2.
Dale

Karmillo 01-13-2006 09:21 AM

Ugh, silly me...wait M:I doesnt make sense!

bigjko 01-13-2006 10:30 AM

Wait, are we talking about Mission Impossible now? :crazy:

Dale Baldwin 01-13-2006 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko
Wait, are we talking about Mission Impossible now? :crazy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo's link
The follow-up to "The Devil's Triangle" gives the original "Monkey Island 2" a complete make-over pitting Guybrush against hundreds of bad movie cliches, infinite parodies, and gut-wrenching action based on John Woo's "Mission: Impossible 2" and an assortment of other action films. Features fully animated "neonimation" cut-scenes, 9 alternate endings, optional factoid commentary, and special guest appearances by Raspberrybeard the Pirate.

So.. yes.

Squinky 01-13-2006 10:48 AM

I cannot make a qualified statement on what is "good" and what is "bad". I can only have an opinion as to whether or not amateur adventure games are pleasing to myself and myself alone. That being said, I consider the majority of ALL games to be "bad", and it doesn't matter if they're made by a huge team in a studio or by one person in a basement. However, I do like quite a handful of games of both categories as well. :)

If we are using the true definition of "fangame", which is a game based on an already-existing franchise rather than one with an original premise and characters, then I can honestly say that I've never played one that I liked. I've never read any fan fiction that I've liked, either.

Fan art, however, is a different story.

Maquisard 01-13-2006 10:59 AM

I take issue with the name "fangames" as defined by AudioSoldier. It implies games based on extant commercial franchises. Most of those are bad, but even so, they're good for the genre, as I theorized in another thread, because sometimes they can gather a great group of talent, the kind an original project rarely could.

Original amateur titles also have a lot to offer. Nuff said.

stuboy 01-13-2006 11:13 AM

Please, please don't make me say this again; Fan Game ≠ Amateur Game.

Maquisard 01-13-2006 11:17 AM

http://www.game-brains.com/images/fe...sly-deniro.jpg

[De Niro] Are you talkin' to me? [/De Niro]

'Cause, you know, that's exactly what I said. :shifty:

Dasilva 01-13-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuboy
Please, please don't make me say this again; Fan Game ≠ Amateur Game.

So there arent original Amateur Games?:crazy:

Maquisard 01-13-2006 11:20 AM

That symbol is does not equal.

ART_Adventures 01-13-2006 01:19 PM

Fan Games, Amateur Games, whatever...

Evil. All Evil. Destroy them at once. Destroy them now. This instant. Yes, Including mine.

No. No. Pull the plug. Switch me off.

Dasilva 01-13-2006 01:30 PM

:shifty:

:crazy:

JohnGreenArt 01-13-2006 02:11 PM

I'd just like to point out that the term "fan game" can be interpretted to mean "game made by a fan of the genre", ie, it can just mean adventure games in general. It doesn't have to mean a specific series or character. Many people have made original adventure games because they are fans of many other adventure games.