Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30815-new-jane-jensen-game-kickstarter-campaign.html)

JuntMonkey 05-06-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maladroid (Post 610860)
^ I more or less agree with your take on how voice acting doesn't usually benefit adventure games, but I somewhat disagree on the time: I think modern adventure games have more meh performances than the oldies. Of course that could have something to do with the fact that back then adventure games were pretty much the only genre featuring voice acting to that extent so it all sounded kind of exciting while nowadays action/FPSs with huge budgets can afford AA actors and outshine AGs with ease (although good casting, I find, isn't always associated with money).

But beyond that, the classics from the 90s, especially the ones by LucasArts, consistently featured quality voice work. I still can't believe you didn't mention Grim Fandango in the list of games with impressive voice talent throughout; to me it remains one of its most distinctive characteristics - it really helped elevate the experience to a whole new level. I don't remember being at all that impressed with GK 1, even though I love this game as well.

I agree with you that the '90s were likely better on average for voice acting than today. In addition to game budgets, it's possible that B+ list actors in the '90s were more willing to do voice work for a day for a low fee, whereas now their voice talents are more in demand and therefore more expensive. This is just speculation of course.

It's been a while since I played Grim Fandango so I don't know. I enjoyed the game a lot when I played it, but it hasn't stuck with me all that much. I'm a Sierra guy and those are the games that tend to stick with me.

"Famous" voice talent is of course not a necessity in theory, but in practice it helps immensely.

A.A 05-07-2012 12:16 AM

Well, I find it exceedingly difficult to play adventure games without voices nowadays. Half the reason I enjoyed the Blackwell games as much as I did was due to the voice acting, which I wouldn't say was exactly spectacular or anything; but it just adds that extra something.

I think adventure games benefit from voice over enormously.

That said, I did play and enjoy Stacking an awful lot.

Fien 05-07-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.A (Post 610896)
I think adventure games benefit from voice over enormously.

Except when they're called Machinarium or Botanicula. :)

Monolith 05-07-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 610897)
Except when they're called Machinarium or Botanicula. :)

...benefit when the only alternative was Text. Those games don't use text for dialogue or gameplay.

inm8#2 05-07-2012 08:49 AM

Wonderful article at The Verge.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...Gabriel-Knight

fov 05-07-2012 09:32 AM

That is really nice article. I love how well it explains the CSG and the "family" that Jane and Robert want to build with Pinkerton Road.

Fien 05-07-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 610927)
Those games don't use text for dialogue or gameplay.

That's right, you got it in one! :P

PS: The ancient adventure Dogday doesn't have any dialogues/text either, but I wish it had.

inm8#2 05-07-2012 03:04 PM

Concept art for Moebius from Andy Hoyos, legendary Sierra artist.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/3...iusscreen1.jpg

zane 05-07-2012 03:29 PM

^suuuper cool art, i love the ancient ruins juxtaposed against the modern city.

fov 05-07-2012 05:32 PM

It's not what I was expecting, but I like it! To me it looks like the "hand-painted" style of Sierra art he worked on, but evolved.

Fien 05-07-2012 08:20 PM

That looks good! I might up my pledge.

Siddhi 05-07-2012 08:57 PM

The art looks amazing. Really excited about this project

teme 05-07-2012 10:12 PM

I think that hand-painted look gives the picture lots of personality. I like the art very much, but I'm not sure about the symbol in the sky... it looks like a watermark or something, too separate from the other elements.

A.A 05-08-2012 03:00 AM

I DID like that Verge article, but I'm not sure I cared for the reference to Gray Matter. ("the almost-return-to-form...").

And, yes, the artwork is awesome. :)

Oscar 05-08-2012 06:02 AM

I don't really like that art. But that doesn't matter, because I didn't like the Gray Matter pre-release art and ended up enjoying it a lot.

Lhurgoyf 05-08-2012 07:43 AM

I hope that they'll use hand painted backgrounds in Moebius instead that awful 3D rendered ones... I am just always angry when I look at any games' cool hand-painted concept art backgrounds and then see the awful render of it used in the actual game.... Why, oh why can't they use the concept art for the final background instead?

shezcrafti 05-08-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhurgoyf (Post 611022)
I hope that they'll use hand painted backgrounds in Moebius instead that awful 3D rendered ones... I am just always angry when I look at any games' cool hand-painted concept art backgrounds and then see the awful render of it used in the actual game.... Why, oh why can't they use the concept art for the final background instead?

So you want to play a game where the background is literally a static piece of 2D concept art? Do you not know what "concept" means?

millenia 05-08-2012 09:49 PM

I reeaaally want us to beat 350k
Quote:

If we get to $350K: We’ll add an additional area (3 screens) and puzzle set I have in mind for Venice that would look awesome and extend gameplay.
I want my epic Venice questline!

mart 05-09-2012 01:20 AM

@ shezcrafti I guess your referral to the word concept is some kind of a joke, for otherwise it would be silly.

@ Lhurgoyf
I agree. Fortunately there are quite some developers – see some recent and some announced games - who realize that there are gamers who prefer “2D games”, at least games with 2D backgrounds.

There's not a big problem of course when 3D software is used to create the backgrounds, for they can come close to the concept art. I think 3D games with pre-rendered backgrounds also look better than full 3D adventure games. I only know a few real-time 3D adventure games that look better than the usual ones, but they never come close to the 2D ones (imho).

But this has been the subject of many threads. Let's hope Moebius will a great success! Warn some of you friends for the last time (so they become backer).

fov 05-09-2012 09:13 AM

More details about this weekend's playthrough:

Quote:

One of our CSG members, Laura, is hosting a 24-hour GK play marathon. She'll be playing GK1, GK2 and GK3, live, starting FRIDAY MAY 11 at 3pm EST. Here's the link:

http://www.twitch.tv/laurakat07

You'll be able to watch the playthrough and join chat. The playthrough will be raising money that will be split between this kickstarter project and the charity of our choice, ASPCA.

Robert and I will be joining in for the first hour or so and checking in periodically throughout. I hope you'll tune in to cheer on this monumental display of will power and sheer physical strength as Laura submerges herself non-stop in GK land for 24 hours, and all without food, sleep or potty breaks. OK, she will have food and potty breaks, but it's still impressive!
It also looks like GK will be the Double Fine playthrough for this week, it won the poll by a large margin!