Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30815-new-jane-jensen-game-kickstarter-campaign.html)

Eivind 04-01-2012 05:46 AM

New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

Surprised to see that noone started this thread already. Did you guys see the banner on the front page?

Looks like we're going to see something new from Jane Jensen! But what? If you click the banner, you are directed to http://www.youtube.com/user/PinkertonRoad/videos.

Also: http://www.pinkertonroad.com.

Do we dare to hope for a Gabriel Knight 4?

Oscar 04-01-2012 06:07 AM

Ha. Sam and Gabriel are going to be in an adventure together?

millenia 04-01-2012 06:19 AM

I would so take this for April Fools but I guess it's not just about today. I wouldn't bet on Gabriel or Sam, but definitely interested about this Pinkerton Road.

Brush Guy 04-01-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 605641)
Ha. Sam and Gabriel are going to be in an adventure together?

The signpost on the Sam vid does read Past-Future, so when the two meet...?

UPtimist 04-01-2012 07:56 AM

I'd guess it's neither (Gabe nor Sam, unless it's trying to say that Sam is Gabe's and Grace's love child), just using these clips of her "biggest" games (with a note in both of them) as a teaser (and I'm very teased right now!), but I'm getting serious expectations about this!

I'd say it's an April Fools joke, but then since the timer goes so far ahead, I don't see what the point would be if it were just a joke...

zane 04-01-2012 08:06 AM

huh, was that new gabe clip voiced by tim curry??? seems like it. They wouldnt get him to just do a 10 second promo if they werent planning somthing new for gabe.
EDIT: upon listening with headphones (instead of laptop speakers) it seems clear that the first part of the clip is recycled audio from one of the other games, and then the pinkerton road part is somebody doing a so-so impression.

Lee in Limbo 04-01-2012 08:10 AM

UPtimist, I tend to agree with you. The idea of it being a crossover is very appealing, but I severely doubt we'll see another Gabriel Knight game, no matter how much we wish otherwise. I think the two videos up on Youtube so far (April 1st, 2012, for those reading this five years later) are just meant to whet our appetites for a new story. If she's using her AGs to hint at what's coming, that at least suggests to us that it's another Adventure Game, and not just another casual game, so that's good.

Lucien21 04-01-2012 08:18 AM

I can't see it being an April Fools joke. For one the youtube videos were posted days ago and for another there is a countdown that finishes on Thursday not today.

What ever it is it seems like a real thing.

However I doubt it has anything directly to do with GK or GM. The facebook page says Pinkerton Road Studios's coming soon. I guess Jane is launching a new game company.

Lucien21 04-01-2012 08:22 AM

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8...6615520437.jpg

The address is a real address to a rather nice house

Schneckchen ^.^ 04-01-2012 08:29 AM

Interesting. I'd love another Gabriel Knight but I also doubt that it would ever be as amazing as the originals.

Kazmajik 04-01-2012 08:44 AM

Most intriguing! As I type this we have 3 days and 22 hours to wait for....what? What is Pinkerton Road? Is it the road away from the past and into the future? Is Gabriel Knight in the future, or just in the past? When one door closes, another is opened.

Do the worlds of Gabriel, Grace, Samantha and Dr. Styles converge? One thing's for sure, something's coming...

zane 04-01-2012 08:44 AM

i really dont know what to expect from a new jensen game. Gray Matter possibly has the best art direction of any adventure iv ever played. The music is stunning, haunting, surreal. The concepts and backgrounds were brilliantly put together. But then the story completely falls apart by the end. Most of the mystique and intrigue just fizzles out with the ending. The puzzles also never went far enough, with great ideas but the magician puzzles dont live to their potential at all. And im sure the reasons why it took so long to get the game released are complicated and largely bureaucratic... but i remain skeptical that they would be able to put a game out in a reasonable time. Regardless, i would absolutely play their new game (and probably give to a kickstarter).

aaroncarney 04-01-2012 09:04 AM

If I had a choice for it to be anything, I'd choose another Gabriel Knight game. But I doubt it...

I'm not gonna get my hopes up, if Gray Matter was anything to go by... it's going to be DRY.

UPtimist 04-01-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 605648)
huh, was that new gabe clip voiced by tim curry??? seems like it. They wouldnt get him to just do a 10 second promo if they werent planning somthing new for gabe.
EDIT: upon listening with headphones (instead of laptop speakers) it seems clear that the first part of the clip is recycled audio from one of the other games, and then the pinkerton road part is somebody doing a so-so impression.

Aside from the impression, it's just from the ending of the game.

(I don't see that being spoiler material right now, so I didn't use the tags)

Anyway, I'd be thrilled about either a new GK or Mray Matter - I think GM, most importantly, had huge potential just waiting to be tapped, it was an excellent game (though ending a little "meh") but mostly it fealt like an (excellent) introduction to something much greater. But, as long as it's a full-length game from Jane Jensen, it should be something pretty spectacular and I'll be thrilled either way.

Also, I really don't see the slightest possibility of there being a convergion of GK and GM. They are different worlds, different stories, and most importantly I can't see a respectable author falling for such an immature gimmick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 605652)
However I doubt it has anything directly to do with GK or GM. The facebook page says Pinkerton Road Studios's coming soon. I guess Jane is launching a new game company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 605654)
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8...6615520437.jpg

The address is a real address to a rather nice house

And in addition Jane lives in Pennsylvania... So, yeah, I'd wager you're very much on to something. Whether that's the whole truth or just part of it, is another matter.

Oh, and in Google pinkertonroad.com is listed as Pinkerton Road Studios...

Andromus 04-01-2012 12:57 PM

Jane Jensen lives in Mount Joy!?! That's only about 30 minutes from my place! Let's see, how to snoop around with out seeming like a stalker? Hmmm.... too far away for the "can I borrow a cup of sugar" routine, better try the old "my car broke down just up the road, mind if I use your phone to call for help"? ;)

inm8#2 04-01-2012 01:48 PM

Haha how does anyone think this is not an April Fools joke?

That added voiceover of Gabriel was hilariously bad.

This is not real.

diego 04-01-2012 01:54 PM

Even if it wasn't Tim Curry, the voice wasn't bad (though, i would still prefer Mr. Ericsson :P).

And it's not April Fools, there's confirmation on Jane's FB page

Schneckchen ^.^ 04-01-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 605707)

That added voiceover of Gabriel was hilariously bad.

This is not real.

People with any class, which I'm assuming Jane has, don't do April Fools jokes like this. (Getting people excited for something.) It would just leave people very disappointed and angry at her.

April fools jokes usually usually look like this:

http://google-latlong.blogspot.fr/20...aps-8-bit.html

zane 04-01-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 605707)

Few reasons. Maybe the most important being: theres no punchline. An april fools joke wouldv gone all out and announced a kooky unrealistic game. Then theres www.pinkertonroad.com which has a timer set to go off in 2 days. It wouldnt make any sense if this whole thing was joke. Saying theyr going to announce "somthing" in 2 days is not a joke. The implication is that jane is founding a new studio and probably announcing a kickstarter with it. Whats so implausible about that?

inm8#2 04-01-2012 02:18 PM

Whew, I stand corrected. I didn't see the confirmation on Jane's facebook page.

I'm intrigued, to say the least. Maybe it's some kind of casual/hidden object game in the Gray Matter / Gabriel Knight realm of supernatural mysteries?

djkarstenv 04-01-2012 02:56 PM

I think Jane Jensen purposely announced this on April Fool's Day so that we thinks it's not real, and hence to keep us guessing. She planned it well, thats what makes her so brilliant!

Why set up a website, start a countdown timer, and in the end tell us, "Haha, just a joke!" There is something coming, if its GK4, GM2 or even a completely new story, anything that derives from the mind of Jane Jensen is pure brilliance!

I am intrigued....

smulan 04-01-2012 03:12 PM

Could be cognition coming...

headbanger 04-02-2012 12:05 AM

Find pinkerton road?

A new jane jensen adventure? new gabriel knight???

Have you seen the ad in adventuregamers main page...

It leads to this
http://pinkertonroad.com/

millenia 04-02-2012 01:25 AM

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=30815

diego 04-02-2012 02:34 AM

That wouldn't be "something's coming", would it? Cognition is already confirmed, it's no mystery.

KatieHal 04-02-2012 05:02 AM

I can confirm that this is NOT about Cognition.

Jawa 04-02-2012 07:01 AM

One of the search items for the website is "Robert Holmes".

Would this be the same guy who is the scriptwriter for Dr. Who?

Edit; no, I guess it's the guy who composed the music for Gabriel knight..

skaata 04-02-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawa (Post 605771)
One of the search items for the website is "Robert Holmes".

Would this be the same guy who is the scriptwriter for Dr. Who?

Edit; no, I guess it's the guy who composed the music for Gabriel knight..

Correct. And wrote the music for Gray Matter. Robert Holmes is also Jane Jensens husband:). Also, the band "Scarlet Furies" starring Jane Jensens step daughter Raleigh, hade some of there songs as sound track in Gray Matter. Anyway, please let Janes surprise be a new GK game. Even if my brain says otherwise....

zane 04-02-2012 07:51 AM

Im guessing what the teaser clips are alluding to is that: jane is founding a new studio, and that company is going to own the rights to do what they want with her other intellectual properties. Probably doesnt mean sequels right away, but could mean more re-releases. Hopefully it will come with the announcement of their first new game (and probably a kickstarter).

Kazmajik 04-02-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 605777)
Im guessing what the teaser clips are alluding to is that: jane is founding a new studio, and that company is going to own the rights to do what they want with her other intellectual properties. Probably doesnt mean sequels right away, but could mean more re-releases. Hopefully it will come with the announcement of their first new game (and probably a kickstarter).

This is pretty much my hunch as well, though whether she owns the rights to a certain property is what I'm really wondering about the most.

SamandMax 04-02-2012 09:21 AM

Whatever it is, I'm sure it's going to involve Kickstarter.

TimovieMan 04-02-2012 09:24 AM

Well, April Fools aside, I'm intrigued. Can't wait to see if it's "just" the launching of a new studio, or if there's a new game (with or without Kickstarter) coming with it...

Whatever it is, it's good to see the adventure scene moving like it has these past few months...

diego 04-02-2012 09:34 AM

Let me repeat:

"These are very deep waters."

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Usike7_0r_...rettpriere.jpg

But basically - it's a good thing that something is happening, whatever it is. Sierra franchises were burried for a long time, and although i'm sceptical about Telltale doing KQ, that and this as an obvious sign of Jane's will to do something can only mean good.

inm8#2 04-02-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamandMax (Post 605801)
Whatever it is, I'm sure it's going to involve Kickstarter.

Jane is probably the single person I trust most in the gaming world. If she looks to Kickstarter, I'll be there to support.

Terabin 04-02-2012 11:37 AM

I will definitely be supporting Jane if a kick starter is the way she wants to go. Starting her own company is a much better way for her to control the process to channel her writing and design. Can't wait for the actual news!

Banter 04-02-2012 01:07 PM

I am so excited with this. Here's hoping it involves kickstarter and here's hoping she's got her hands on the GK intellectual property again. It is by no means as far fetched as some people in this thread have implied.

The 4th GK has not been developed because the suits think there is no market for such a game and because they are unwilling to fund the game. A successfull kickstarter would prove them wrong on both counts and I can see how Jane could have easily reached an agreement with whoever owns the rights now. Money solves everything. Hell, just the thought of money solves everything.

Remember: We know for sure that Activision/Bliizard/Whatever still holds onto the old sierra ips(see the silver lining nagging they pulled over the KQ property) and if I'm not mistaken Telltale has the license to develop some such games now. They must be quite aware of the interest that there is on such franchises.

Plus, there has been a lot of media attention concerning the success of doublefine's kickstarter. And also the fact that Monkey island special editions were top sellers. Trust me, some of them suits must be aware they own potential untapped goldmines. GK doesn't have the popularity of the lucasarts games, but is a real cult classic loved by millions.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if the announcement concerns GK4. I would be thrilled if it involves kickstarter. It puts the funding of the game on the hands of the fanbase, and that in my mind assures that the game would be made. I would open my wallet far and wide for it.

SamuelGordon 04-02-2012 02:38 PM

The adventure gods are sending their only sons Tex Murphy & Gabriel Knight to save us. Thankyou! Oh Gods do we need it!! I'll gladly support any Jane Jensen Kickstarter project, we could actually give feedback as to what we want..my god heaven:)

Kurufinwe 04-02-2012 08:33 PM

I like that she's bought ad space all over the site. Whatever the announcement is, it shows that she's very serious about it.

http://i.imgur.com/4Kp4A.png

valypan 04-02-2012 11:53 PM

Exciting!

This is really something to look forward to. One day and we will all know what it´s all about. I sincerely hope for a "Gray Matter" sequel not far in the future. Gabriel Knight 4 has been wanted and hoped for for so many years that I don´t even dare thinking about it. If it is indeed Jane Jensen´s own company, I would say: about time! I would support it 100%!

Intense Degree 04-03-2012 12:53 AM

I'm really interested to see what this is going to be. To be honest I am just trying as hard as possible not to get my hopes built up for anything too much, although surely not all this fuss for another hidden object game?

I'm about 99% certain we won't be seeing GK4 [/opinion] but Gray Matter 2, this time with a marketing budget of more than £5, would be good. To be honest, what I would really want to see (not including a properly made GK4) is a brand new adventure from a brand new studio.

Whatever happens, I should probably already think about excuses for my wife when "Jane Jensen Kickstarter Campaign" shows up on the bank statement! ;)