Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Guess the game from the Amazon review! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30259-guess-game-amazon-review.html)

skeeter_93 01-13-2012 01:31 AM

Pipped at the post! Not sure what's going on with the mirror, but the siamese twins seem like Faust.

After a brisk nap 01-13-2012 01:53 AM

OK, assuming I got it:

Quote:

BEWARE! Does not work on XP!!

Do not buy this game unless you have a computer with a pre-XP operating system cause it simply will not work. I don't think it works with ME either. This was not made clear online and I was sooo bummed when it arrived.

tsa 01-13-2012 02:42 AM

What with all the positive reviews here I think I will steer clear of this one.

TimovieMan 01-13-2012 04:14 AM

Assuming Faust was correct:

Discworld Noir ?

After a brisk nap 01-13-2012 06:46 AM

Good guess, but nope.

tsa 01-13-2012 06:51 AM

The Pandora Directive? I remember not getting one of the Tex Murphy games to work on XP. I even tried to run it in Win98 in a virtual machine. Which of course didn't work at all.

Kurufinwe 01-13-2012 08:24 AM

Faust it was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by After a brisk nap (Post 598119)
Edit: My own reaction to the game was similar.

I remembered you took part in the playthrough, but I had forgotten that you were one of those people who didn't "get" the game. Your loss. :P

adipocere 01-13-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 596846)
Enjoy it while you can, Skeeter, people will soon start to post the likes of China: The Forbidden City, Days of Oblivion, Operation: Weather Disaster, Master of Dimensions.
:P
I know I will (if I get a chance).
:devil:

Wow....Operation: Weather Disaster. I could have lived the rest of my life and never had remembered playing that game. I think I remember it being really bad.

After a brisk nap 01-13-2012 01:22 PM

It's not Pandora Directive either, tsa. It's one of the other of the handful of games that famously don't run on modern systems. (Or at least didn't run; there's some talk of an installer/patch more recently.)

inm8#2 01-13-2012 01:24 PM

Grim Fandango?

skeeter_93 01-13-2012 10:53 PM

Amber Journeys Beyond?

EDIT: Stoopid me, I know that one runs on XP because I started playing it *shakes head* How about Feeble Files?

After a brisk nap 01-14-2012 04:14 AM

No, no. You had it right the first time. It is A.M.B.E.R: Journeys Beyond. It was notorious for many years for not running on modern computers. I guess someone finally fixed it, then?

inm8#2 01-14-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by After a brisk nap (Post 598204)
No, no. You had it right the first time. It is A.M.B.E.R: Journeys Beyond. It was notorious for many years for not running on modern computers. I guess someone finally fixed it, then?

http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/amber/index.html

However, near the end of the game you need to type a password and a bug prevents you from doing so. Someone fortunately had a savegame in which the password is typed and you just press enter. http://www.squirtthecat.com/forum/vi....php?f=12&t=26

tsa 01-14-2012 01:37 PM

WOw that is even more complicated than Journey to the Center of the Earth, in which there are three puzzles that no logic could solve, only painstaking trial and error and enormous amounts of patience and anger management.

skeeter_93 01-15-2012 06:18 AM

Yay! Okay here's one...

Quote:

This is excellent interactive fiction - exciting story, cinematic, eye-pleasing graphics, and with well-integrated MacGuyver puzzles. It can hold its own with classic adventures from Lucas, and for me was definitely more fun than say plodding through Nancy Drew's chores. If you are a reader and puzzle-solver and liked the Indiana Jones movies and games, you may find this to be one of the best games you have played in a long time.

Nancy... plodding??? :crazy:

tsa 01-15-2012 06:21 AM

Niburu?

TimovieMan 01-15-2012 06:55 AM

You're doing this on purpose, aren't you? Getting as much Indiana Jones references in there so I'd guess "Lost Horizon" every time. :D

Is it Lost Horizon?

tsa 01-15-2012 07:03 AM

No, it's Niburu: Age of Secrets :P

skeeter_93 01-16-2012 06:17 AM

Yes Timovieman, it's Lost horizon! :D Your turn...

TimovieMan 01-16-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter_93 (Post 598342)
Yes Timovieman, it's Lost horizon! :D Your turn...

LOL :D
I knew it had to be Lost Horizon sooner or later... :P

I came across this:
Quote:

THIS IS A RPG GAME....
IS THE BEST GAME YOU NEED RESOLVE A CRIMEN CASE.
IS A HARD GAME BUT YOU CAN'T STOP!!
BELIEVE ME IF YOU WANT PLAY A GOOD GAME BUY THIS
I CAN'T RESOLVE THE GAME YET....
I CONTINUE PLAYING AND PLAYING BUT NOT IS EASY!!
But rest assured: it is most definitely NOT a role-playing game... :)