Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Nintendo Revolution named. Prepare to cry. (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/14602-nintendo-revolution-named-prepare-cry.html)

NcroManiac 04-27-2006 11:22 AM

"Wii! Come over to my place and check out my Wii! It's so sleek and small and you can tilt it from side to side and play games with it!!!"

RLacey 04-27-2006 11:23 AM

"Grab your controller and experience all the goodness of Wii™!"

This is too easy. On the other hand, we have now been talking about it all evening :crazy:.

Dasilva 04-27-2006 11:32 AM

The name grows on you, I saw the add once and said WTF! And when I saw it again I thought 'it can work.', I like it. :)

bysmitty 04-27-2006 11:33 AM

The name is utter crap. I can’t stand it. It makes it really hard to take this console seriously.

...bysmitty

bigjko 04-27-2006 11:33 AM

And we'll continue making jokes about it until after about two months, when all that remains is not the pee-jokes but the fact that the console either plays awesome or horrible. And by that time the jokes will have made sure that you'll know what Nintendo Wii is.

Huz 04-27-2006 11:35 AM

At least it makes for good tabloid headlines.

"Wii makes a splash", etc.

Too bad it won't be competing with the PS2, or we could call it the Playstation Poo to match.

Starflux 04-27-2006 11:36 AM

Instead of giving us that horrible list of contrived reasons for the console being called "Wii", they also could have just told us the truth on how it got its name:

http://www.userweb.nl/kinoko/jap9.gif
,,Whii! Whiiiii!"

insane_cobra 04-27-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Corn has never been this painful.

Maybe, but at least they have something to put behind those words. It *is* a system radically different from anything else available at the moment. You say corny, I say inspiring. Of course it's just PR bull, but at least it's not "the Zen of gaming".

Dasilva 04-27-2006 11:38 AM

The Revolution will do very well, if it doesn't they've made more than enough money on the DS.

getmyrunon 04-27-2006 12:00 PM

Flux - LOL

I'm going to go play with my Wii now.

AFGNCAAP 04-27-2006 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko
This is likely going to go just like it went with the DS and the Remote Controller.

First Impressions: Pure disgust.
Next Impression: Mild Interest.
Third and Final Impression: Love.

I'm with bigjko on this one. Wii™ll people never learn?

CrimsonBlue 04-27-2006 12:53 PM

First impression: pure disgust
Next impression: hmmm
Third and final impression: nope, still disgusting.

Intrepid Homoludens 04-27-2006 01:03 PM

First impression: "WiiTF?!!!"

Next impression: "Erm....yeah, it should be a great console and everything but....."

Third and final impression: "WHO THE F*** CAME UP WITH THAT MORONIC AND CORNY AD COPY?!!"

bigjko 04-27-2006 01:21 PM

Oh, get over it, Trepsie. :shifty:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Atwood
No, the point is we want it to be very clear what we’re saying. Again, we’ll go back to your traditional naming conventions for systems. They tend to be fairly literal. That’s not what we want at all. We want something that isn’t as literal. But once you understand it, it makes a lot of sense.

Once you play more games, and once the system is out, and more and more people play it, and you’re realizing these different experiences, it’ll make more sense. Again, it may sound a little bit of a line, but I think it fits well. This is not about you or me, it’s about Wii.

Quote:

Again if you look at things like Yahoo! Or Virgin, or Caterpillar or Naked Juice, or Prius – the car, or Napster – these names either have funny connotations or don’t make sense initially. But if you look at how we support this, and what the name represents, I think it makes sense.
GameInformer Interview

He does a good job, and they seem confident in the name. And they do come off as honest as to just wanting to explain why the came up with that name. Sure, that ad copy sound corny, but it's not moronic, IMO.

Intrepid Homoludens 04-27-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko
Oh, get over it, Trepsie. :shifty:

;) You're just being defensive. I am over it, are you?

*runs*

Kingzjester 04-27-2006 02:44 PM

http://herzogthevile.com/images/nint...ldenshower.gif

Karmillo 04-27-2006 02:55 PM

I actualy really like it, the more I say it the more I love it!

I can just imagine saying "I'm going to play with the Nintendo! Weeeee!!!"

Stoofa 04-27-2006 06:15 PM

First reaction: Heeeeeeeeehahahaha haaaa!

This will really help the argument that Nintendo is for kiddies.

Wii wii wii all the way home!

Melanie68 04-27-2006 06:26 PM

I keep wanting to pronounce it Wee-eye.

SamNMax 04-27-2006 06:28 PM

Lets see you Nintendo fanboys defend this.