Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Mass Effect (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/10980-mass-effect.html)

Kolzig 05-24-2008 01:04 AM

Did I read correctly that the PC version got pushed back a bit?

Good thing that apparently it's going to be in many ways much better than the console version.

aries323 05-26-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolzig (Post 469747)
Did I read correctly that the PC version got pushed back a bit?

Good thing that apparently it's going to be in many ways much better than the console version.

Yes, you did. and no, you didn't.

The US/CAN version of Mass Effect for the PC still releases in 2 days,
the 28th of May 2008. Danish, Finnish and other european people have to wait untill the 6th of June 2008 to buy Mass Effect for the PC. The Russians get their hands on Mass Effect (PC) the 30th of May 2008. I think maybe people from Hungary etc. have to wait untill the 19th of May 2008.

Meanwhile -- much is said about the securom used in Mass Effect.

jedicri 05-31-2008 01:16 PM

Got my PC copy of Mass Effect.

Just as an FYI, there are issues in startup in Vista but those that I encountered were resolved by going to the Bioware official Mass Effect forum. Not sure of any XP issues.

The most common issue encountered by most, including me, is that the game would crash upon start up.
SOLUTION:
Run the game as an Administrator:
1) open up the shortcut in Games, right click it, select Customize, select Edit
2) select Shortcut tab, click Advanced - click Run as Administrator, click OK, make sure to click Apply

For those with SLI builds, the game does not support it --- hopefully updated drivers and/or a patch will resolve this issue. The only level that the framerates dropped dramatically that I and others are presently aware of was in the Citadel Tower. Simply disable SLI mode and the game will run very smoothly in that level.

There is also the issue of not having 5.1 sound. The devs are aware of this too.

Other than these, I'm having a blast playing the game. In comparison to the 360 version, the HUD is so much better, more user-friendly and the addition of quick keys is a welcome addition; issuing commands (pressing Spacebar and using mouse for said action and whatnot then releasing Spacebar to return to the action) and equiping your group is a snap.

MdaG 05-31-2008 01:49 PM

So, when is the Linux version due? :P

eriq 06-03-2008 07:31 PM

I fucking LOVED this game to death. I beat it and played the shit out of it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this game!!! SOOO GOOD!

By far the BEST game of the past few years for me. Ugh, I could go on. And the soundtrack is just unbelievable. I bought it on CD.

Do yourself a favour and buy this game and support the development team - this is truly a sci-fi gem and it's rare that you find a game of this quality. Everything about this game was just class - characters, voice acting, controls, story, graphics, and music.

Oh, and the subplot romance was so delicious too.

I mean, just look at this game. Such art.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6...seffectox1.jpg

RLacey 06-04-2008 05:49 AM

Gah. Still have to wait until Friday...

Jayel 06-04-2008 11:30 AM

My major complaint against this game is that eventually you reach a point where you have all the best gear equipped for all 7 of your characters and still have a tonne of money left over to reach the maximum limit (10 million credits or something).

Any idea if the PC version did anything about this issue?

Shiny 06-04-2008 06:33 PM

This makes me both happy and sad. Mainly sad, because I know my computer is waaaay too old to run this even decently. Happy because it's a good port and one less reason to spring for a 360.

vivasawadee 06-10-2008 10:23 PM

Thankfully EA has backed down on its online activation requirements, a one time activation is understandable but once every 10 days was too much.

vivasawadee 06-12-2008 04:33 PM

This game is freaking brilliant and I haven't had it crash on me at all. Maybe its because I don't have an Intel multi core CPU or 8800GT? :devil:

Christian IV 06-18-2008 06:32 PM

wonderful game, one of the best in a long time, very high production values in every regard, beautiful scenes, voice acting suprerb, all around smasher!

get it

RLacey 06-18-2008 11:32 PM

I'd love to report how much I'm enjoying this game, but I seem to have been struck down by the lock-ups and crashes plaguing a number of people. Even after reinstalling it three times to deal with the faulty installs.

This experience, incidentally, has reminded me of how singularly useless - and irritating - tech support people can be as soon as one actually has a genuine problem :shifty:.

MdaG 06-19-2008 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey (Post 472039)
I'd love to report how much I'm enjoying this game, but I seem to have been struck down by the lock-ups and crashes plaguing a number of people. Even after reinstalling it three times to deal with the faulty installs.

This experience, incidentally, has reminded me of how singularly useless - and irritating - tech support people can be as soon as one actually has a genuine problem :shifty:.

This is exactly why I've given up on the PC as a gaming platform, the consoles may not offer as much as the PC when it comes to games, but at least it just works.

Gabe 06-19-2008 01:26 PM

Awesome game at every aspect,right but nothing really exciting going on coz heavily pre-scripted actions and options gives you feel not playing with but just reading and clicking throughtout of the game.
You have to make thousands of choices but whats good for, all just for keep you interested,(when i reload and choose different response answers hardly changes)turns out pretty superficial consider
there will be one ending.
Well if response choosing playing,actually doesnt matter what you choose(you re not controlling your destiny anyway)so remove that all mumbo jumbo and whats lefts Mass effect is.

jedicri 06-19-2008 08:19 PM

I'm rather curious as to what issues/problems that others here have encountered. My brother and I have not met with problems on our respective computers. We both have Vista installed (but I'm on a dual boot XP & Vista), quad core CPU and 2X 8800 GTS on SLI.

RLacey 06-20-2008 07:32 AM

Take a look at BioWare's forums. Plenty of people with random crashes and hanging.

BioWare are apparantly working on a patch. Hopefully it will solve the problems...

jedicri 06-21-2008 11:05 AM

I hope so too.

vivasawadee 07-01-2008 06:21 AM

I finished the game a few days ago and didn't have a single crash. There were a few sound glitches when in the Mako and some dialogue cut out.

Although the story and graphics were amazing I just couldn't help feeling that the gameplay mechanics were really dumbed down. At times it felt like I was playing Dreamfall in space.

And that damn Mako steering.......the less said the better.

FlightlessWings 07-08-2008 04:04 PM

I was thinking of getting this game at one point, heard so much good about it...but it looks a bit too sci-fi for me. If I play an RPG I like it to be a turn-based fantasy type, like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and the like. Still, I may give it a go...might suprise me!

Gabe 07-10-2008 12:47 PM

I've finished that one too,find bit short and quite dull gameplay mecs. only moment get excited a biotic hit Shepard andhe elevated bout 20 feet ,dont know why it's happened only once
other than that everything went pretty straight forward.

Jazhara7 07-13-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayel (Post 470656)
My major complaint against this game is that eventually you reach a point where you have all the best gear equipped for all 7 of your characters and still have a tonne of money left over to reach the maximum limit (10 million credits or something).

Any idea if the PC version did anything about this issue?

Well, you can exploit something in the PC version. After finishing Dr. Michel's quest with the Blackmailer she sells you things at a discount. But she *also* buys things at a much higher price. So if you sell things, *always* go to Dr. Michel.

That's not an exploit yet, however. The exploit is related to the fact that the "Buyback" menu on Citadel station is the same in every shop. So if you sell something to Dr. Michel, and then go over to the Emporium or the Markets (I personally always go to Expat in the Upper Markets. It's close, has no loading times [and if you're too lazy to walk, it's a stone's throw from a CRS terminal, just like the Medical Station.], and most of all you only have to select one dialogue option to get into the shop menu.), the things you just sold to Dr. Michel will show up in their "Buyback" menus too.

Usually you can buy things back at the same price you sold them. So you gain nor lose money if you sell something but buy it back later. However, after completing the blackmailer quest, only Dr. Michel's prices are adjusted in your favor. That doesn't help you when buying from somewhere else, but it helps you when *Buying back* from somewhere else, since the other stores let you buy things back for the lower prices that they would have bought things from you. So when selling to Dr. Michel, and then buying back from elsewhere on the station, and repeating multiple times, you always gain the difference between the sell prices of the two stores. :)

Also, you only need 1 million credits to get the "Rich Achievement" (which gives you access to Elite spectre gear).

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)