Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Mass Effect (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/10980-mass-effect.html)

TangentBlack 12-06-2007 06:52 AM

The game was science fiction and thus did not have to follow any realistic pattern. Any justification of Bioware not creating more of an interesting setting for sidequests is merely justification in hindsight. We could come up with any reasons to excuse the developers from this disappointment but in the end, I felt a bit let down. I don't think any gamer would have been at Bioware's throat if they had included a few more diverse planets.

Dasilva 12-09-2007 08:17 AM

I'm 10 hours in Mass Effect, truly a great game in the same vein as Jade Empire and Kotor.

VictimOfScience 12-10-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin (Post 451251)
It's repetitive, and I would have liked to see more variation.

Agreed, but still not bad for the first game. :)

SoccerDude28 12-12-2007 12:54 AM

Wow what an awesome game. I am about 15 hours into it and I love the universe Bioware has created. I am totally addicted. Sorry that I can't write much more but I have a galaxy to save :)

Intrepid Homoludens 12-12-2007 01:03 AM

;) So erm, tell me, Soccsie: Did you say 'yes' to the consort? Heh heh...

You'll eventually reach an emotionally difficult crossroad where you must make a heart wrenching decision that will affect the details of your story. It took me several minutes to decide myself.

Giligan 12-14-2007 02:43 PM

I finished this recently. Great graphics and story. The main quest is a bit shorter than KOTOR, which is a bit annoying, since it ends just as it's really getting good. And the lack of a Tali romance sub-plot is a bummer. Otherwise, outstanding game.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-14-2007 03:14 PM

:) Giligan, Bioware promised us some DLC while we wait for Mass Effect 2.

Giligan 12-14-2007 04:57 PM

I know, but I don't have XBL. I'm actually forced to hope that there isn't a Tali romance sub-plot until Mass Effect 2.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-14-2007 08:11 PM

How is it that you don't have Live? Do you mean to say you don't have the Gold version of Live? Is your 360 hooked up online?

Giligan 12-15-2007 07:59 AM

The phone company doesn't have highspeed internet in my area (yes, stupid rural midwest :P), so I can't sign up for Live until they do offer it. I'm not sure what you mean by "hooked up offline"; I haven't bothered to hook up my 360 to the computer or phone lines yet, if that's what you mean.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-15-2007 01:31 PM

http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/sad/iiworry.gif Suckage! Not even wireless internet, huh? When I was living with my sister in Belvidere we had wireless internet. Thankfully the house was within visual distance of one the towers and we got good speeds (unless there was a severe electrical storm). The only problem with it was that it didn't allow dtp, which sucked for my sister 'cause she works at home half the time.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-26-2007 04:10 PM

I'm now on my second playthrough of Mass Effect. I'll share my Sheps and those of you who can, please share yours!!

This is my first Shep, her name is Commander Otterley Shepard. She is an emerald eyed Adept, Earthborn, and orphaned:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...d_1_chasca.jpg

Otterley pic 2
Otterley pic 3
Otterley pic 4

And this is my current Shep. She is Commander Sureyya 'Botox' Shepard, a sapphire eyed Vanguard, colonist, orphaned:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../Picture21.jpg

Sureyya pic 2
Sureyya pic 3
Sureyya pic 4

Giligan 12-26-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 452447)
http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/sad/iiworry.gif Suckage! Not even wireless internet, huh? When I was living with my sister in Belvidere we had wireless internet. Thankfully the house was within visual distance of one the towers and we got good speeds (unless there was a severe electrical storm). The only problem with it was that it didn't allow dtp, which sucked for my sister 'cause she works at home half the time.

Wireless is probably available, although I had heard that online gaming doesn't work on wireless, for all intents and purposes. Does it?

Intrepid Homoludens 12-26-2007 05:18 PM

You should be able to game online with wireless. But note that there is a difference between wireless internet and satellite internet. Satellite internet is outdated, the upload speed is pathetically slow, it's practically dial-up.

Call your local wireless provider and tell them you want speeds on which you can game online, do they have it and can they guarantee good speeds.

Giligan 12-27-2007 02:01 PM

I'll look into it, thanks.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-31-2007 01:43 AM

So, I got curious and decided to create a brand new Shep (third one, first male version). But this time I tried to make him look like me. Turns out he doesn't look exactly 100% like me, but we share similar features - shaved head, olive skin, almond shaped eyes, arched thick black brows, high cheekbones, narrow angular face, delicate jaw, full defined lips. In real life I'm very short, skinny, boyish looking & acting; nowhere NEAR heroic looking as popular culture would envision.

But once I got a good look at this Shep version in cinematic action complete with that voice and all the facial expressions and nuances, and knowing his background and class, I said, "Wow. This looks like one iconoclastic Shep. Not your typical thick-necked, overtly macho, overtly tough looking heterosexual/homoerotic fantasy kind of man hunk. This playthrough should be interesting."

The problem now is trying to decide if I should continue this guy's campaign now that I started it, or to move forward with Commander Sureyya 'Botox' Shepard whose story I also recently started. http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/3dlil/uhh.gif

So here I am So here he is: Commander Trep Shepard, born of military parents, war hero, Paragon & Renegade (depending on situation), and a Sentinel trained in biotics, tech, and medical:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../Picture34.jpg http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../Picture38.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../Picture37.jpg http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../Picture33.jpg

Intrepid Homoludens 01-13-2008 09:10 PM

I found a side quest I must have overlooked on my first playthrough, involving Talitha, a woman who as a little girl...

Spoiler:
...had her humanity violated by the Batarians when they inserted metal and tubes into her force her to into slavery. She escaped and ended up in the Citadel and 'Botox' Shepard prevented her from committing suicide.

Hands down the most poignant side quest in the game. The facial expressions and voice acting for Talitha were excellent.

Lucien21 01-13-2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 456012)
I found a side quest I must have overlooked on my first playthrough, involving Talitha, a woman who as a little girl...

Spoiler:
...had her humanity violated by the Batarians when they inserted metal and tubes into her force her to into slavery. She escaped and ended up in the Citadel and 'Botox' Shepard prevented her from committing suicide.

Hands down the most poignant side quest in the game. The facial expressions and voice acting for Talitha were excellent.

Spoiler:
Unfortunatly when I did it it didn't go so well. The sound of the gun still keeps my character awake thinking of how he could have saved her. ;(

Dale Baldwin 01-14-2008 03:11 AM

I only had that sidequest appear on my latest (4th) playthrough. I've had other random ones come over the radio from the admiral just as I'm en-route to Ilos. Every time I think I've seen everything, ME throws something else at me.

Lucien21 01-14-2008 11:37 AM

Have you done the weird search the monkeys quest.

Dale Baldwin 01-14-2008 11:41 AM

Every playthrough :) Although, after doing it the first time, you know exactly which monkey to search in future.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-16-2008 01:49 PM

Still, I like hearing the various monkey sounds when you touch them.

Owskie 01-16-2008 02:05 PM

intrepid i seemed to have lost your xbox live gamertag, would you be so kind to give that to me?

and to anyone else here

mine is "its tasty bacon" with the spaces.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-18-2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owskie (Post 456302)
intrepid i seemed to have lost your xbox live gamertag, would you be so kind to give that to me?

;) Interesting. I don't remember giving it to you the first time.

Wow. Just played two of the three alternate 'endings' of one of my character mates in the story (Virmire)...

Spoiler:
1:

Wrex: "You bitch."

BLAM!!!

2:

Shepard: "We can discuss this!"

Wrex: "No more talking, Shepard. We'll do this my way."

BLAM!!!

Ashley: "Not today, friend."

:) In the third one, the one I picked on my first playthrough, I was advanced enough in paragon skills to be able to talk Wrex out of it. But now it seems, after this, I have one less squad mate to choose from.

Owskie 01-19-2008 09:07 AM

Well, I could have swore you did in one of our aim conversations or through PM.

SoccerDude28 01-19-2008 09:36 AM

Poor Wrex He is my favorite character

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 456557)
;) Interesting. I don't remember giving it to you the first time.

Wow. Just played two of the three alternate 'endings' of one of my character mates in the story (Virmire)...

Spoiler:
1:

Wrex: "You bitch."

BLAM!!!

2:

Shepard: "We can discuss this!"

Wrex: "No more talking, Shepard. We'll do this my way."

BLAM!!!

Ashley: "Not today, friend."

:) In the third one, the one I picked on my first playthrough, I was advanced enough in paragon skills to be able to talk Wrex out of it. But now it seems, after this, I have one less squad mate to choose from.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-19-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soccsie (Post 456578)
Poor Wrex He is my favorite character

Not so poor. He made whatever choices led him to where he ended up. My first Shepard (as Adept) saw him and Tali in the very final battle with Saren.

I finished my second playthrough last night (as a female Vanguard), with Tali and Liara (thus earning the Achievement for using Quarian squadmate all the way through).

I'm now on my third play as Trep Shepard (Sentinel), this time with Liara (once she joins up) and Garrus (hopefully to earn the Asari squadmate Achievement).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owskie (Post 456576)
Well, I could have swore you did in one of our aim conversations or through PM.

;) What games you got?

Dale Baldwin 01-19-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 456612)
I finished my second playthrough last night (as a female Vanguard), with Tali and Liara (thus earning the Achievement for using Quarian squadmate all the way through).

I'm now on my third play as Trep Shepard (Sentinel), this time with Liara (once she joins up) and Garrus (hopefully to earn the Asari squadmate Achievement).

I was surprised by how early I got Tali's achievement in my current playthrough (fourth time). I'm using Tali and Liara, and her achievement unlocked with 7 or so clusters still to visit, including Virmire - much earlier than any of the other ally achievements have. Liara's has still to unlock though.

Edit: Hurrah, Liara's finally unlocked when opening the gate on Ilos.

Owskie 01-20-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 456612)
Not so poor. He made whatever choices led him to where he ended up. My first Shepard (as Adept) saw him and Tali in the very final battle with Saren.

;) What games you got?

Well, I was recently diagnosed with lyme disease so I really havent been able to buy much of anything latley. All my money is going towards medical stuff.

Right now, I only own... Guitar Hero 3, Oblivion, Bioshock, Burnout Revenge, Guitar Hero 2, and im striving to get Mass Effect.

Owskie 01-23-2008 09:12 PM

oh and now rock band..

Dale Baldwin 02-06-2008 10:10 AM

First bit of Mass Effect DLC announced.
Quote:

Titled Bring Down the Sky, the downloadable content pack will be available from March 10 at 2 a.m. PST for 400 Microsoft points (£3.40, $5). New content will include a new uncharted world and the introduction of a notorious alien race called the Batarians. The aliens have hijacked a mobile asteroid station in the Asgard region and set the ship on a collision course with nearby colony planet Terra Nova. Sounds like a job for Commander Shepard and his/her crew.
Bring Down the Sky adds approximately 90 minutes of extra gameplay and also has an extra achievement worth 50 Gamerscore points.

kuze 02-12-2008 06:09 AM

Mass Effect for the PC in May 2008. With controls and resolutions and everything!

This is awesome.

Dale Baldwin 02-12-2008 06:44 AM

I wasn't expecting that announcement quite so soon, especially with a May release date. Curious as to whether they'll include the Bring Down the Sky content in the PC release.

Jazhara7 02-12-2008 09:05 AM

Phew! Now I'm relieved I didn't invest in that Xbox after all last week (what really put me off was that the games have horrendous prices. Who they think I am? Croesus? :crazy: ).

And May, they say? Hmmm, I might have to poke my mother to give me that to my sister's birthday (or actually, to her own birthday). :P

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RLacey 02-13-2008 11:51 AM

May? Why must everything interesting come out while I'm trying to sit finals? :crazy:

Lucien21 02-13-2008 12:00 PM

The Publishers are conspiring against you.

Intrepid Homoludens 02-13-2008 10:39 PM

I'm happy more people will be able to enjoy this marvelous game.

Intrepid Homoludens 03-02-2008 08:34 PM

Just finished last night my third playthrough, this time as a paragon/renegade mixture male Sentinel class Trep Shepard. Romanced Liara, picked Ash over Kaiden on Virmire, spared Wrex, and eventually chose Anderson for the Council in the end. I swear I'm inclined to play a fourth time! But I've run out of biotic class choices (I've played as Adept, Vanguard, and Sentinel). I could play again as a female Adept, but opt for the hot Liara over Kaiden this time.

Or I could wait for the Bring Down The Sky DLC in about two weeks and get back into Oblivion or Half-Life 2 til then. :)

Intrepid Homoludens 03-10-2008 09:56 PM

http://news.filefront.com/wp-content...ass-effect.jpg

Bring Down The Sky is now available to download from XBL. Gonna cost you around 5 bucks (400 points) and weighs in at about 240MB and should take about 90 minutes to experience.

You may need to replay the game proper to when you are given the Normandy in order to access it once it's downloaded to you.

weemies 03-17-2008 12:41 AM

So awesome, that they are bringing the PC-version so soon. Finally I get to enjoy this game. I knew I shouldn't invest in X360. :)

Go read my arguments from a couple of years ago from this very thread. They still apply. :D