Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Are you from the UK? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/6472-you-uk.html)

Wormsie 01-20-2005 04:47 PM

Are you from the UK?

Now we'll find out!

EDIT: Damn, now we have the problem of definitions! What does "from somewhere" mean anyway? Born there or moved there or...? :frusty:

Manhunter71 01-20-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadworm222
Now we'll find out!

EDIT: Damn, now we have the problem of definitions! What does "from somewhere" mean anyway? Born there or moved there or...? :frusty:

[Manhunter jumps up and down enthusiastically] :D :D

Hey! I'm from the UK - I was born there approximately --- years ago :D :D :D

Zygomaticus 01-20-2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhunter71
[Manhunter jumps up and down enthusiastically] :D :D

Hey! I'm from the UK - I was born there approximately --- years ago :D :D :D

Do you play/follow cricket? The English chaps are doing as well as they have in years. :)

Manhunter71 01-20-2005 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kode
Do you play/follow cricket? The English chaps are doing as well as they have in years. :)

Uh sorry, no - i really have no time for cricket at all :r

I guess I'm not the usual kind of Englishman.

remixor 01-20-2005 05:59 PM

Well, it wouldn't be an AG poll without a nonsense "other" option. I can't wait to see how people explain that one...

Catbert 01-20-2005 06:00 PM

It's for Irish people. Sheesh, you're slow :pan:

Terabin 01-20-2005 06:05 PM

I suppose if your ancestors came from Britain, you could say that you're from the UK, at least......a part of you is. I'm 40% British. Maybe that means I'm 40% from Britain. Probably not. :confused:

Ninja Dodo 01-20-2005 06:27 PM

I'm in Britain but not from it.

Wormsie 01-20-2005 06:44 PM

As usual, the poll explains nothing.

pinkgothic 01-20-2005 07:06 PM

*blatantly ignores wormsie's complaint and marches in with the "Britain is great!" banner in this thread, feeling far more at home here*

EasilyConfused 01-20-2005 10:54 PM

Not from the UK, but wish I was. Or, that I lived there now--okay maybe not right now. Wish I could again, maybe I will. Lived there for three years, loved it, it rocks.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-20-2005 11:09 PM

I miss London. I miss walking there on a cold rainy day, having tea somewhere, just observing people. I miss how the old streets and architecture glisten when they're wet. I miss the British Museum, the Elgin Marbles and the bullet holes in them from the war. I miss the prim old ladies, and having to bring my own shopping bags to the grocer's and the narrow little streets with the Minis parked here and there. I miss the dairy, the milk. There's a particular intimate bustle in London that can never be felt in any other city in the world. Only in London.

squarejawhero 01-21-2005 02:20 AM

Quote:

...observing people...
So, you're that stalker I heard about a few years ago? :P

I live in London. It's OK. Although you're more likely to go to a Starbucks and watch pollution float about.

Bring your own shopping bags?

Did you last visit us in the twenties? :D

Intrepid Homoludens 01-21-2005 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Bring your own shopping bags?

Did you last visit us in the twenties? :D

It was very long ago. I studied there for a summer. I remember having to bring a plastic bag with me every time I went to buy fruits, milk, and other foods to keep in my dorm. Great idea, that. I wished that we did that in the States, because it's environmentally respectful. I wish the everyone in world did it.

You don't do it anymore? That's sad.

Jazhara7 01-21-2005 03:35 AM

*joins pinkgothic, carrying a sign which has "We heart Britain!" written on it*

I want to live in Britain. Or Scotland. Or Australia.

I'm going to london in two weeks. And my sister is going to study near Edinburgh for some weeks this summer - I'm still trying to convice her to take me with her.

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

EasilyConfused 01-21-2005 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It was very long ago. I studied there for a summer. I remember having to bring a plastic bag with me every time I went to buy fruits, milk, and other foods to keep in my dorm. Great idea, that. I wished that we did that in the States, because it's environmentally respectful. I wish the everyone in world did it.

You don't do it anymore? That's sad.

They have bags in stores. You have to pack your own bags though. This is still a good idea because of the democratizing element. You don't just stand there, counting your change repeatedly, while someone getting paid 1/1000th your salary puts stuff in your bags for you. But either it holds up the line, or, if you're in France, they just check the next person through and all their cheese gets mixed in with your items and it's a big pain. And it's a nightmare for old people.

Ahem.

But Waitrose does sell big, heavy, recycled and recylable plastic bags for 20p and you get some kind of (20p) discount if you bring it with you, which you'll need. And in the States, you get some $.25 discount if you bring your own bag to Whole Foods.

I obviously think I have NOTHING better to do with my time.

Trep!!!! Curse you for getting me constantly off the topic of my life!! ;)

Trep. :pan:

Ninja Dodo 01-21-2005 03:43 AM

Yeah they have lots of plastic bags everywhere... I always just bring my backpack though. "I don't need a bag, thanks." is probably my most uttered sentence in English by now.

Edingburgh is awesome. Just went there a few weeks ago.

Man, I can't believe I still haven't visited London.

Jazhara7 01-21-2005 03:55 AM

Here, (at least in the fruitshop where my family buys fruit), they wrap the fruit in brown paperbags. Not really bags, actually - They are triangular. But they put the bags in a plastic bag if you have several.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Ninth 01-21-2005 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
They have bags in stores. You have to pack your own bags though. This is still a good idea because of the democratizing element. You don't just stand there, counting your change repeatedly, while someone getting paid 1/1000th your salary puts stuff in your bags for you. But either it holds up the line, or, if you're in France, they just check the next person through and all their cheese gets mixed in with your items and it's a big pain.

I don't get it. We have to pack our ow bags here too...

Wormsie 01-21-2005 04:58 AM

The Finnish bags can't be reused, they are made to crumble to bits.

I learned this a while ago. :shifty: