Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   Background Art for Adventure Games (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/3608-background-art-adventure-games.html)

Dujodu 06-21-2004 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
I think your style could work rather well. I think it'd be a nice change, playing an adventure game like this. But then again it depends on how these graphics will relate to the story and to the atmosphere you're trying to go w/...

BTW, will you use an isometric engine which allows you to compose rooms out of textures, preset walls, etc. or are you doing this manually? Also, are you gonna draw something for the floor, or is it gonna remain a generic green?

No, I don't plan on using an isometric engine to make rooms out of textures, I would probably just hand draw it all. The floor would change, the floor in my room actually is green which is why it's green in that picture. I haven't worked out all the specifics yet, but the background would probably be black or something like that.

A lot of the game would deal with a kind of large apartment complex, so I could maybe have a zoomed out look while traveling it and a zoomed in look while in the actual scenes.

I haven't decided if I want to learn something like AGAST, SLUDGE, or AGS, or just make the game in Flash since I know quite a bit of ActionScript.

I still wish I could make backgrounds like you guys :*(

Maquisard 06-21-2004 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriq
Dujodu,

Actually, in my opinion, your style of artwork is extremely difficult to execute compared to hand-painted or digital artwork that's "hand-drawn". I don't have the patience to draw every small pixel perfect corner. That's some impressive stuff. Sites like Habbo Hotel have always amazed me. I believe the Coke site also uses pixels graphics as well. They're so cute! But they look so time-consuming. I can't even imagine.

So pixel graphics is an actual movement in digital art? (Got any links?) Does its name mean that the artist draws every single individual pixel? :eek:

Quote:

Wasn't there an online adventure game recently mentioned using pixel graphics?

hmmm...do you mean the Jen Jensen one...Booby Trap? Or am I still confusing the terms pixel & isometric?

Dylan_Dog 06-21-2004 02:53 PM

I always get a bit confused when people start saying "pixel art". I mean I know what they are referring to but isn't everything drawn on the screen composed of pixels?

By the way Dujodu, I really like the look of your iso graphics. If you integrate that well with your story and the level of exploration then it will turn out to be an awesome game. Also, it might be easier if you use one of the engines such as AGS, since your isometric levels are just manually drawn out and you can treat them as standard background art and only define walkable areas, use scripts etc. On the other hand you can try using a true isometric engine that's intended for strategies and RPG's and make an adventure game out of that. Either way, your work looks promising.

eriq 06-21-2004 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
So pixel graphics is an actual movement in digital art? (Got any links?) Does its name mean that the artist draws every single individual pixel? :eek:

Yes, pixel "art" is an actual movement. Check out:

http://www.habbohotel.co.uk/habbo/en/

I've also uploaded a wonderful example of a "graphic adventure" where a firm used this style of artwork in an Osbournes family game. Here is the screenshot. I'm not sure where to find this online anymore but I'm pretty sure it's still up somewhere. Maybe someone can post the link if they find it?

The style is definetely evident in the screenshots here. It's cool looking stuff!

Dujodu 06-21-2004 06:44 PM

eriq, those screenshots are good, that is pretty much what I meant by "kick up the detail a notch." And for me I think getting a style like yours to look good would be really hard, I envy you. to make use 'pixel art' is very precise, if something doesn't look right you just have to move the pixel a bit until it works. It is pretty time consuming, that tiny room took me many an hour, but I think by doing it more I would get faster. I'm not sure about the interface, probably standard point & click. If I could pull it off I think the dialog screens would break out of isometric view and go closer to get a better view of the characters. if I do it in flash, then it wouldn't be fullscreen, if I do it in AGAST it would be full screen.

Dylan - Yeah, you are right about the terminology... I just said it because I knew a lot of people would instantly recognize it by that term. I don't think building a simple adventure engine would be hard to do in flash, and the game would probably get more exposure if you could play it with the flash plug-in that almost everyone has. Also I know ActionScript better than the custom scripting languages, even though it probably wouldn't be a big problem to learn them.

Mares - Yeah, I pretty much just used a one pixel brush tool in photoshop and had at it.

Dylan_Dog 06-22-2004 06:48 PM

I love your artwork eriq. Did you use a paintbrush tool for that or airbrush?

eriq 06-22-2004 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan_Dog
I love your artwork eriq. Did you use a paintbrush tool for that or airbrush?

wouldn't it be neat if what we envisioned in our minds just popped right onto the screen? Do you think they'll have technology like that ever? ;)

I use the paintbrush tool in photoshop with an older Wacom Art Tablet (UD model) to make pressure sensitive strokes. When I am happy with the scene, I go back and use the dodge/burn tools to touch up the lighting. For a brush stroke, I turn ON the pressure pen option for opacity, brush size, angle, and flow.

I just finished a real oil painting above my bed. What do you guys think? It's called "The Spell".

http://www.eriq.net/spell/

I am really bad at oils when it comes to doing anything too detailed. I have a hard time cleaning the brushes and keeping colours from bleeding. If anyone has tips on oil painting, I am listening.

Maquisard 06-22-2004 07:30 PM

Quote:

I use the paintbrush tool in photoshop with an older Wacom Art Tablet (UD model) to make pressure sensitive strokes. When I am happy with the scene, I go back and use the dodge/burn tools to touch up the lighting. For a brush stroke, I turn ON the pressure pen option for opacity, brush size, angle, and flow.

Oh, so that's what tablets are good for! :eek: I didn't know about that option... :( I may make use of mine yet... :)

edit: I like your oil painting, btw :)

Dylan_Dog 06-23-2004 12:50 AM

Quote:

wouldn't it be neat if what we envisioned in our minds just popped right onto the screen? Do you think they'll have technology like that ever?
I can only hope so Eriq lol. Until then we will have to rely on our own talent or on other talented people telling us how its done.