Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   Sam and Max Are Returning In A New Fangame Series (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/12569-sam-max-returning-new-fangame-series.html)

AudioSoldier 01-07-2006 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
That's profound. Lemme also add to that statement that it's our duty as clap-monkeys to incessantly clap our cymbals. :D

http://home.austin.rr.com/mackmustgo/clapmonkey.jpg

Haha.

EvilMulder 01-07-2006 04:22 AM

You forgot a smiley.
Like this: :D

Candle 01-07-2006 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
Any hints or a sneek peek?

Sam and Max go someplace.

Karmillo 01-07-2006 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candle
Sam and Max go someplace.

Ooooh, and then?

AudioSoldier 01-08-2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko
I'm terribly sorry to bring this up..

And you protest when you have to *shock* download a free game. "Oh, jeez. It might not be of optimal quality. I'll have wasted valuable time on it, that could've been spent on buying real games, that are also crap but feel better because I paid for them."

A commercial game is like buying a book from the bookstore and reading it. You – generally speaking – have fun. And you've paid money for it. A fan game, shoddy as they all are, is like reading a book from some shitty website as your eyes flutter in watery despair and your back groans as your cranky chair fails to support your spinal chord sufficiently.

Suuure, you're not paying for it, but the enjoyment factor is greatly lessened.

Dasilva 01-08-2006 10:20 AM

Keep all this ''Fan games are crap'' stuff in the proper thread, no reason to flood other threads about your petty arguments, everyone. Lets keep this thread clear and focus on what its about, in other words stay on topic, pretty please. ;)

Dale Baldwin 01-08-2006 10:40 AM

AudioSoldier, this is your one and only warning.

We're all very aware of your thoughts on amateur adventure games, and, as Dasilva said, there is no need for you to bring that discussion into this thread (or in fact any other thread in this section of the forum).

NemelChelovek 01-10-2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

A commercial game is like buying a book from the bookstore and reading it. You – generally speaking – have fun. And you've paid money for it. A fan game, shoddy as they all are, is like reading a book from some shitty website as your eyes flutter in watery despair and your back groans as your cranky chair fails to support your spinal chord sufficiently.

Suuure, you're not paying for it, but the enjoyment factor is greatly lessened.
Glad to see that someone has mastered the skills of intelligent discourse. You've made a truly mature, well-thought-out argument that looks at an issue from both sides and makes its conclusion in a way that doesn't force it on the reader. I applaud you. As most people know, using absolutes is the only way to truly make an argument, because subjectivity is something that lesser minds came up with to justify their opinions. Also, you have to remember, that if they don't listen the first time, it's just because they know you're right. But don't give up! The more you repeat your argument, the more they'll be forced to hear you.

I learned long ago that the quality of a given project lies not in the creativity of its creators; it lies not in their dedication to, passion for, and love of the project; it lies not in originality, story, or presentation. It lies in whether or not you pay for it. And it's also true that the quality of my reading experience is generally decided by the quality of the chair I'm sitting in. When I was a young lad, I bought and paid for V.C. Andrews's "Flowers in the Attic." I read it in a comfy reclining chair with a foot rest, and that fact, combined with the money I could no longer spend on food, made it one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had the pleasure of living. However, this is not always the case. A while back, I recall reading Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath," which my grandfather had given me as a gift, while sitting in an office chair with squeaky wheels and a poorly-aligned seat back. I could scarcely read three sentences without thinking of the money in my pocket that I could have spent on another copy of the selfsame book in my hand, and how annoying the squeaky wheels and rolling chair were. In fact, the experience was so unpleasant that I went and bought another copy of the book to compensate, and then read it on the sofa. As I recall, that copy was much better than the one I got for free.

I'm so sorry...

fov 01-10-2006 11:32 PM

This thread is going down an already well-trodden road, so I'm closing it. Apologies to the guys making the Sam & Max game (although you are of course welcome to start another thread about your game, if you like).

The place to discuss whether amateur games deserve to live is here. Let's please try to keep that discussion contained in that thread, rather than having it spill out onto the rest of the Underground forum.