Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   List of Rare Adventure Games (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/8438-list-rare-adventure-games.html)

Fien 08-02-2007 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonchi (Post 429401)
I offer my services as a human dictionary. I may even be playing Hollywood Monsters this weekend.

Have you played it before? Is it subtitled in Spanish?

Wallymian 08-02-2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fienepien (Post 429441)
Thanks for the info, Wallymian. :)

You're welcome Fienepien. Please if you know some more informations don't hasitate to share them. :)

Quote:

Yeah, but you need subtitles to do that. It's been a while since I played the English Hollywood and I don't remember if it was subtitled or not. Probably not. I'll have a look when I have more free time.
Yes, Hollywood Monsters are subbed. Just check screenshots in FFC review. :)

Quote:

I've played Dan a little, as I often do with new arrivals. And I was curious what a real Australian game would be like. I was not disappointed in the Australianness. :D But my computer proved too fast at some point and I was too lazy to download a slowdown utility.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing with new games -- give them a first try, and when they prove to be worth playing I'm sticked. That's the same case of Vampire Diaries, or Adventures of Dawn under Dan. They were moved to my TODO list as they lack some sort of touch to keep my attention. :devil:

Fien 08-02-2007 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallymian (Post 429460)
Yes, Hollywood Monsters are subbed. Just check screenshots in FFC review. :)

You're right... unfortunately that doesn't mean the Spanish parts, which are after all not supposed to be there, are subtitled as well. The game is fully English in the beginning and then all of a sudden they start speaking Spanish for a minute of two.

BTW, I agree one hundred percent with the FFC review. I quite liked the game at first, but pretty soon it became very confusing and boring.

PolloDiablo 08-02-2007 06:20 AM

Of the rare or not-so-rare-in-hindsight games mentioned in this topic, I have:

U.F.O. (jewel case only)
Celtica (Dutch version in original cardboard box, probably not that rare)
Opera Fatale (jewel case only)
Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (original cardboard box)
Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom Phungoria (DVD keepcase)
Jerusalem: The 3 Roads to the Holy Land (DVD keep case in slipcover)
Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon (original cardboard box)
Monkey Island 2 (original cardboard box)
Orion Burger (jewel case only)
Little big adventure 1 (PlayStation 1)
Versailles 1685 (DVD Keepcase)
Sanitarium (Dutch version in original cardboard box, also UK version in small square mini-box)
Liath (not rare in the Netherlands at all - original cardboard box)
Secret Mission (original cardboard box)
Guilty (orginal cardboard box)
Space Quest Collection (original cardboard box)
King's Quest Collection (manual and CD's only)
Leisure Suit Larry Collector's Edition (original cardboard folder)
Police Quest Collection The Four Most Wanted (manual and jewel case only)
The Dame Was Loaded (jewel case only)
Lost in Time (original cardboard box)
Discworld (original cardboard folder, Dutch and PlayStation 1, English)
Discworld 2 (PlayStation 2)
Roberta Williams Anthology (original cardboard box)

Games I haven't seen mentioned, that I am not sure how rare they are - I don't see them offered often, but as I haven't really spent much on them they probaby aren't rare:
Santa Fe Mysteries: Sacred Ground (this one wasn't even on Mobygames when I acquired it - original cardboard box)
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (small square cardboard box)
Clandestiny (original cardboard box)
Nightlong Union City Conspiracy (original cardboard box)
Silverload (original cardboard box)
Morpheus (original cardboard box)
Star Trek: Judgment Rites (Limited CD-ROM Collector's Edition original cardboard box - pin is missing though :( )

I had the Gabriel Knight Mysteries Ltd Ed Box Set but traded it away. I didn't know how rare it was back then and now I am very very sorry I did that...

I bought the Roberta Williams Anthology for 40 euro just this week (arrived minutes ago and is in excellent condition). This is the most I have ever spent on a second-hand game. Most games in my collection were either bought new, or second-hand for 5 euro or less.

Giligan 08-02-2007 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragom (Post 422446)
Pink Panther,

Heh, I actually have both Pink Panther games, one in original box, one in original jewel case.

Marian 08-02-2007 02:31 PM

I've started Vampire Diaries but haven't finished it. It didn't like the auto run on my computer when I was switching CDs, but other than that it ran just fine. Based on what I saw, it reminded me a bit of the Nancy Drew games except for the full-motion video. I've seen far worse "rare" games than Vampire Diaries, although it certainly isn't worth the insane prices it's going for. Still, I'm feeling kind of antsy now about wanting the boxed version. :)

Speaking of Her Interactive, I've got the first computer game they ever made (it's not Vampire Diaries). It's McKenzie and Company, boxed and complete, never played, brand new. I gotta think that might be worth money someday! I believe it has full motion video; I've yet to open the box.

I have Hollywood Monsters in Spanish. That could have something to do with why I haven't loaded it up yet. Gonchi, we will expect the transcript of the entire game posted here when you are done. :devil:

Down under Dan runs well in DOSBox. If you have the CD version, you have to do a minor tweak to get it to install. After that, all is well.

Marian 08-02-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallymian (Post 429423)
Yes, Access early games were bundled into "Private Eye Mysteries" with some on disk manuals, some separated but it was years ago.
Now this bundle is worth approximately 80.00 and more dollars when boxed. :)

Would you believe I picked this up on eBay last year (original jewel case and CD) for $10 total? I couldn't believe my good fortune, which was largely attributable, I think, to the fact that it was poorly listed on eBay.

Gonchi 08-03-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fienepien (Post 429442)
Have you played it before? Is it subtitled in Spanish?

No, but I've been meaning to play it since I got it. Mine's the spanish version. It has subtitles according to the manual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marian (Post 429589)
Gonchi, we will expect the transcript of the entire game posted here when you are done. :devil:

I'm certain we can reach a mutually beneficial agreement.

Fien 08-04-2007 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marian (Post 429589)
I've started Vampire Diaries but haven't finished it. It didn't like the auto run on my computer when I was switching CDs, but other than that it ran just fine. Based on what I saw, it reminded me a bit of the Nancy Drew games except for the full-motion video. I've seen far worse "rare" games than Vampire Diaries, although it certainly isn't worth the insane prices it's going for. Still, I'm feeling kind of antsy now about wanting the boxed version. :)

It's an extremely flimsy box. The kind that gets warped beyond recognition when shrinkwrapped. Well... you know what I mean. :D And I agree, it's not worth the price. I just had to have it and I'm very pleased now that I've got it, although I couldn't explain why.

The FMV is terribly low-quality. Shocking really. Even for 1995. I don't mean the acting, which is pretty bad too, but fortunately the good kind of bad that made me laugh.

Quote:

Speaking of Her Interactive, I've got the first computer game they ever made (it's not Vampire Diaries). It's McKenzie and Company, boxed and complete, never played, brand new. I gotta think that might be worth money someday! I believe it has full motion video; I've yet to open the box.
I checked mobygames, it's there. If you ever decide to open it, look for the pink ribbon... :crazy: Why they would pester teenage girls with depressing breast cancer stuff is totally beyond me. It's not like they will have to deal with it in the near future.

Quote:

Down under Dan runs well in DOSBox. If you have the CD version, you have to do a minor tweak to get it to install. After that, all is well.
Aha, thanks, I'll try that one day. Unfortunately, DODBox and I don't appreciate each other as much as we should.

Fien 08-04-2007 02:12 AM

Hey fellow collectors, did you notice the Midnight Stranger auction? First time I've seen it appear on ebay. Went for $321. I bid on it, but not fanatically.

charlesb 08-04-2007 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fienepien (Post 429890)
Hey fellow collectors, did you notice the Midnight Stranger auction? First time I've seen it appear on ebay. Went for $321. I bid on it, but not fanatically.

I wonder what the use is of a posting like this. If it is indeed intended for "fellow collectors", why not post the eBay link BEFORE the auction ends? And why bid about $ 50 on an item "that is seen for the first time" on eBay (and which sells for $ 321)? Just to prove one spotted the auction? And, again, why post the message after the auction with the high bid? To make it harder and more expensive for the "fellow collectors" next time? Seems to me this is only profitable for sellers.

Fien 08-04-2007 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesb (Post 429911)
I wonder what the use is of a posting like this. If it is indeed intended for "fellow collectors", why not post the eBay link BEFORE the auction ends? And why bid about $ 50 on an item "that is seen for the first time" on eBay (and which sells for $ 321)? Just to prove one spotted the auction? And, again, why post the message after the auction with the high bid? To make it harder and more expensive for the "fellow collectors" next time? Seems to me this is only profitable for sellers.

Sheehs... what's eating you?

This IS a thread about rare games, right? Ebay auctions have been mentioned before in this thread, and in many other threads for that matter.

I don't care for your insinuations.

PS: It's obvious that you followed the auction, and I know you're not the high bidder, so I take it you are interested in playing Midnight Stranger. Why not buy it straight from the developer's site (Jeff Green).

http://www.strangermedia.com/order.html

Gonchi 08-04-2007 02:30 PM

Wait... people can buy the game from the developer's website for $12 and someone still spent $321 for a used copy of it on ebay?! :crazy:

Fien 08-05-2007 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonchi (Post 429991)
Wait... people can buy the game from the developer's website for $12 and someone still spent $321 for a used copy of it on ebay?! :crazy:

The game is the same, yes. Not the rest of the package. The ebay auction was the rare Broderbund Midnight Stranger, complete with headphones and still shrinkwrapped.

charlesb 08-05-2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fienepien (Post 429937)
Sheehs... what's eating you?

This IS a thread about rare games, right? Ebay auctions have been mentioned before in this thread, and in many other threads for that matter.

I don't care for your insinuations.

PS: It's obvious that you followed the auction, and I know you're not the high bidder, so I take it you are interested in playing Midnight Stranger. Why not buy it straight from the developer's site (Jeff Green).

http://www.strangermedia.com/order.html

Glad to read you understood what you call "my insinuations." I just stated some facts about the way you were "helping" what you call your "fellow collectors."

:D

marshal99 08-05-2007 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fienepien (Post 430046)
The game is the same, yes. Not the rest of the package. The ebay auction was the rare Broderbund Midnight Stranger, complete with headphones and still shrinkwrapped.

You have got to be kidding me . Who actually would want to buy this game anyway for so much even with headphones unless it's gold plated and coated with diamonds.

The game itself wasn't even that great. I would rather play night trap. ;)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrb...omo_videogames

Fien 08-05-2007 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshal99 (Post 430055)
You have got to be kidding me .

No.

Quote:

Who actually would want to buy this game anyway for so much even with headphones unless it's gold plated and coated with diamonds.
Collectors! :devil:

Quote:

The game itself wasn't even that great. I would rather play night trap. ;)
I would not. Night Trap is nothing but shoot here, shoot there, shoot everywhere. But I agree that Midnight Stranger was a disappointment. I liked the sequel Mode much better.

Fien 08-05-2007 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesb (Post 430053)
Glad to read you understood what you call "my insinuations." I just stated some facts about the way you were "helping" what you call your "fellow collectors."

:D

Facts?? Just YOUR interpretation of my post.

You may think I was "helping" my fellow collectors (or should be helping them by informing them beforehand of the auction... how is that "helping" them, when the interested parties will only start a bidding war not unlike the ones you often witness between collectors... and this auction was no exception), when in fact I was only expressing surprise.

I repeat my question: what's eating you? Did you join AG just to attack me? Why?

Dale Baldwin 08-05-2007 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fienepien (Post 430073)
Facts?? Just YOUR interpretation of my post.

Yeah, I have to agree with Fienepien here. Reading this thread as an observer, I wouldn't have taken it the way you have, charlesb.

While I welcome you to the forums, charlesb, I advise you to think about how you're interpreting a post, before you have a go at another member. Any hostility stops now.

Not A Speck Of Cereal 08-05-2007 06:23 PM

Duckman, German version, paid somewhere between $19.95 and $321. I probably paid too much, but I can't wait to play it.