Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30815-new-jane-jensen-game-kickstarter-campaign.html)

zane 05-03-2012 05:19 AM

^what drives me completely crazy about it is they come out and say "we've totally learned from the mistakes of using a long distance development team with gray matter" and then immediately theyv seemed to set themselves up for a similar situation.
Im putting my faith in them making this work, and we obviously dont see the whole picture. But i dont expect the game to be out in 1 year at all... unless the product really is a casual game. Signus's motto afterall is "we develop casual games" (not even kidding, right on their website)

But enough about that, the last 24 hours have been our best in over 2 weeks! We shouuuld hit 300k somewhere in the last week.

Jannik 05-03-2012 05:45 AM

Many modern hidden object games are not that far away from adventure games, since they have puzzles, dialog systems and inventory systems. And Jane has stated that the team has experience in that regard and an engine that can handle adventure games (my guess is that it need to be upgraded though).

Jane has also stated that the development setup is different from the Gray Matter development. I'm guessing she gave the GM team a design document and some general directions once in a while, probably due to time restrains or something similar. The Moebius setup sounds much more hands on. Anyway, personally I'm not worried :)

A.A 05-03-2012 05:52 AM

Jensen will have final say on the production. If she's not happy with the progress, she'll be on top of it. Simple as that.

Not sure what people are worried about.

Let's just get this past 300,000 for the minute before worrying about anything else, eh? ;)

Arial Type 05-03-2012 07:14 AM

OK, I'm not worried :) I just know those Russians :shifty:

harald 05-03-2012 07:31 AM

Arial Type, could you elaborate on how the game industry Russia is in a "bad state", and how that would influence Pinkerton Road's project? And no, no, I'm not worried either, just curious. :D

Also, nice to see that the plug from the LSL team had such an impact!

fov 05-03-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane
^what drives me completely crazy about it is they come out and say "we've totally learned from the mistakes of using a long distance development team with gray matter" and then immediately theyv seemed to set themselves up for a similar situation.

No - she learned her lesson from *handing off her design* to another team and not being involved in the production process. That's what happened with Gray Matter. With Moebius, she will be involved on a daily basis (as she has been for Lola & Lucy, and for all of the games she's worked on with Oberon).

Jane's been using this process for the past 8 or so years to make casual games, and many of her recent games have been developed by Signus. She clearly likes working with them and vice versa. And she obviously knows the difference between a casual game and an adventure game, and has an understanding of Signus's strengths. I think she would know better than any of us whether the team is up to the task.

Anyway! This article went up today on the German site Krawall.de: http://www.krawall.de/web/Moebius/special/id,61857/

Maybe someone who can read it can say if it's a good one. :D

inm8#2 05-03-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arial Type (Post 610322)
I just watched this video and got a little worried. It turns out Jane is outsourcing her games in Russia? Not very promising, since the Russian gaming business is in a bad state today. Even more, the developers from Signus Labs specialize on casual and flash games in social networks exclusively. How on earth are they planning to make a fully functional adventure game?

With Jane at the helm there's nothing to be worried about.

Arial Type 05-03-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harald (Post 610363)
Arial Type, could you elaborate on how the game industry Russia is in a "bad state", and how that would influence Pinkerton Road's project? And no, no, I'm not worried either, just curious. :D

Today many dev. houses are either closed or switching to social networks and outsourcing. It is great if Signus have guts to pull such a serious project though. I will be really proud of it. And when Warcraft Adventures will finally get freedom, I will be even more proud :)

skaata 05-03-2012 10:36 AM

Wow, I really need new glasses. Read your name as "Anal Type" before I moved my head closer to the monitor.

inm8#2 05-03-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skaata (Post 610401)
Wow, I really need new glasses. Read your name as "Anal Type" before I moved my head closer to the monitor.

That's an adventure game I could get behind. ;)

Arial Type 05-03-2012 10:57 AM

The world just need more puzzles!

skaata 05-03-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 610402)
that's an adventure game i could get behind. ;)

:d:d:d

Shnubble 05-03-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arial Type (Post 610322)
I just watched this video and got a little worried. It turns out Jane is outsourcing her games in Russia? Not very promising, since the Russian gaming business is in a bad state today. Even more, the developers from Signus Labs specialize on casual and flash games in social networks exclusively. How on earth are they planning to make a fully functional adventure game?

I have to admit I got a bit hesitant, too, when I saw this.
On the other hand she'd hardly be able to make a game with that kind of money at all, if she had to pay a western development team, which could screw up, too. Especially if she had to go with an inexperienced one.
Those guys at least have some projects under their belt and probably are eager to prove what they can do.
I also like the fact that Jane plays with open cards in this regard and doesn't try to hide them away, like other people would have done.

But still it's a risk and a completely different situation than with Double Fine, where I have an almost blind faith in the development team. Blind indeed, because at the end of the day I don't know that much about them. But they have the money, a track record, and Tim Schafer has actually been the head of a real company for quite some time now.

zane 05-03-2012 05:52 PM

dean erickson (who plays gabriel in GK2) just posted a youtube video in support of jane :D

Fien 05-04-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 610445)
dean erickson (who plays gabriel in GK2) just posted a youtube video in support of jane :D

Gabe! :kiss:

ozzie 05-04-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov (Post 610366)
Anyway! This article went up today on the German site Krawall.de: http://www.krawall.de/web/Moebius/special/id,61857/

Maybe someone who can read it can say if it's a good one. :D

Apart from the fact that this article is in dire need of some proof reading (many missing words, some inappropriate ones...) it's a well written and cautious outlook on the whole Kickstarter affair. It specifically addresses the reasons why Jane might not be doing as well (though probably well enough) as the big hitters (Wasteland 2, DFA), but also mentions positive aspects, like the unusual high generosity of her fans. Not exactly the most enthusiastic perspective, but a fair one.

SamuelGordon 05-04-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondo
I was hoping he'd say, "Canis...LUPIS LUPIS!!!"

Lmao XD! Cool vid, glad he's making the time to support Jane.

MrOslo 05-04-2012 10:19 AM

Jane Jensen uploaded a new video on her KS-page, confirming that she will be making TWO games this year. First game is Moebius, second game is Mystery Game X.

I don't think it's GK4, but I'm still excited. Hope this gives the campaign a great Last Push!

Kolorabi 05-04-2012 10:20 AM

I usually tend not to trust ladies with glowing red eyes, but for Jane I'll make an exception. Upped my pledge to $50 after today's video update.

Lhurgoyf 05-04-2012 10:33 AM

What's with the weird red-eyes Jane segment at the end of the video? Is it some kind of reference to one of her past games?