Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   LucasArts teases about more big news! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/25053-lucasarts-teases-about-more-big-news.html)

UPtimist 07-11-2009 12:27 AM

So cheap?

Oh, I really should get Steam back in order some day.

What an incredible time for getting old adventure games! :)

jcornwall 07-11-2009 02:18 AM

If you buy them do you get access to the data files to use with ScummVM?

DustyShinigami 07-11-2009 02:30 AM

From what i've read over on the ScummVM forums, these re-releases and their data files don't work with ScummVM. They've been tweaked up by LucasArts themselves. The ScummVM team won't be adding support unless LucasArts give them the 'OK'.

As for Steam, i reactivated my account the other day in preparation for the SOMI: SE. :D

kadji-kun 07-11-2009 07:18 AM

Would there be a reason to use ScummVM? I don't understand why its a problem.

jcornwall 07-12-2009 12:31 AM

Sure, Steam works on one platform. ScummVM works on many. :D

Bruno_Malta 07-17-2009 11:27 AM

So....where is the other Big News?

DustyShinigami 08-09-2009 03:43 AM

Back-Cat Announcement

Another back-catalogue announcement will be made on Monday. No idea what it'll be. But it won't be X-Wing or TIE Fighter that's for sure. One can only hope it'll be more adventure games.

Marduk 08-09-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazzoid (Post 519488)
Another back-catalogue announcement will be made on Monday. No idea what it'll be. But it won't be X-Wing or TIE Fighter that's for sure. One can only hope it'll be more adventure games.

Noticed that just about all of the comments responding to that one are related to very recent games, ones that are still relatively easily obtainable? Mind you, I only skimmed through these but a sizable chunk of responses to the previous news quoting Darrell Rodriguez mentioned old titles (usually their old AGs), not just games released within the last few years. (Then again, I don't even remember the tie fighter and x-wing games, so I don't know when they were released).

3rdFloor 08-09-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk (Post 519512)
(Then again, I don't even remember the tie fighter and x-wing games, so I don't know when they were released).

X-Wing came out in 1992 (even though the wiki article claims it was 1993) and was arguably the first PC Star Wars title published by LucasArts. TIE Fighter followed in 1994 and went on to become a cult classic for space simulation fans. Both games were designed by Lawrence Holland and Edward Kilham. Holland continued the series solo and made two more titles: X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter (1997) and X-Wing Alliance (1999).

Er... what we talking about again? Oh right! Sorry about the history lesson. Actually, I don't care much for space sims or Star Wars games in general, so I'd be much happier to see more of their classic adventures on Monday, rather than sitting inside the cockpit of an X-Wing.

tabacco 08-09-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazzoid (Post 519488)

So many people are repeating the 'It's not X-Wing or Tie Fighter' thing that I really really hope it turns out to be X-Wing Versus Tie Fighter :)

3rdFloor 08-09-2009 06:30 PM

Yes, an X-Wing title could definitely show up. Who knows? That would teach a lesson to a few rumor-filled websites out there. ;)

Jannik 08-10-2009 10:25 AM

No adventure games this time around; LucasArts is re-releasing the Super Star Wars series on the Wii (Virtual Console).

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...56&newsLang=en

Lupin The Third 08-10-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jannik (Post 519618)
No adventure games this time around; LucasArts is re-releasing the Super Star Wars series on the Wii (Virtual Console).

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...56&newsLang=en

I can't believe they teased this announcement. Old SNES games released on the Wii VC???? Wow! Shocker! OMG MEGATON! Never before has such an amazing story been told! Good grief...

3rdFloor 08-11-2009 12:43 PM

Yeah, tell me about it! Why tease their fans with this crap? I thought we were going to see more adventures, not some Super NES Star Wars games ported to the Wii. I don't get it.

Lupin The Third 08-11-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadWolf (Post 519748)
Yeah, tell me about it! Why tease their fans with this crap? I thought we were going to see more adventures, not some Super NES Star Wars games ported to the Wii. I don't get it.

Monkey Island Remake was news...Tales of MI was news...the Steam deal was news. SNES games on Wii VC was about as non-news as possible. My first thought was actually "Really? These aren't already out? Ok....Shadows of the Empire would have been better..."

Dirty teases. They KNEW we were craving adventure games!

tabacco 08-11-2009 04:52 PM

I am also outraged about a company announcing a product I am not interested in!

Lupin The Third 08-11-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco (Post 519788)

Outrage! Outrage I say! Grab the torches! Bring the pitchforks! To Skywalker ranch we must depart! Kill the beast!

3rdFloor 08-11-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

*Laughs* Yeah, you're right. I'll admit I somehow overreacted; a LucasArts executive telling a rumor-filled website that they'll soon release a few more heritage titles isn't necessarily proof of anything tangible.

But still, you know what Lupin and I meant. We're just big fans of the old adventure IPs and are hopeful to see more now.

Antaios 08-11-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Hehe, brilliant. You're right, of course. And we all should try not to get our hopes up with every little tidbit they say on Twitter. ;)

Trumgottist 08-12-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadWolf (Post 519812)
But still, you know what Lupin and I meant. We're just big fans of the old adventure IPs and are hopeful to see more now.

Are there any left unreleased now of their old adventure games? (I'll admit that I may have missed a couple, since Loom was the only one I was missing, and that was released.)

Gιygαs 08-12-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumgottist (Post 519897)
Are there any left unreleased now of their old adventure games? (I'll admit that I may have missed a couple, since Loom was the only one I was missing, and that was released.)

Yeah, there's quite a few. They've only re-released 5 out of their 14 adventure games.

Antaios 08-13-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumgottist (Post 519897)

Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max Hit the Road
Full Throttle
The Curse of Monkey Island
Grim Fandango
Escape from Monkey Island

Something like that.

ozzie 08-13-2009 04:04 AM

Quote:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
is already released.

Antaios 08-13-2009 04:10 AM

You're right. My bad.

Trumgottist 08-13-2009 08:26 AM

I'm not sure if I'd agree with calling CMI, GF and EMI old adventures in this context, but your list is long enough to prove your point anyway. I strongly suspect that at least a bunch of those will be re-released in a not too distant future. I'll be surprised if we won't see at least MI2 within a year.

And a re-release of Grim Fandango would be cool. If they did a gentle update of it, I'd even buy it again. (Re-rendered movies, added polygons to the characters, Glottis in particular, and maybe a higher resolution.)

Antaios 08-13-2009 09:01 AM

I don't know; CMI is from 1997, GF from 1998 and EMI from 2000. Sounds old enough to me, and it's not like those games are obtained very easily, EMI perhaps notwithstanding.

Trumgottist 08-13-2009 10:34 AM

How time flies. :)