Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   LucasArts teases about more big news! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/25053-lucasarts-teases-about-more-big-news.html)

Mastik 07-04-2009 10:53 AM

LucasArts teases about more big news!

In monday, LucasArts will announce another revival of a classic!!!
Was found out in Twitter, here is the proof:
http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/04/luca...nt-for-monday/

I just love 2009 :)

Trumgottist 07-04-2009 11:25 AM

Update:
Quote:

It doesn't have to do with any specific intellectual property...
Not sure what to make of that.

Edit: The direct link is http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames if you want to learn more.

Jackal 07-04-2009 11:53 AM

Welcome to AG, Mastik. :)

I understand the enthusiasm, but I changed your thread title. Those Twitter messages say nothing at all about reviving anything. In fact, saying it's not IP-specific suggests it's no such thing.

GoT 07-04-2009 01:06 PM

He does say its something for the old school fans. Not long to wait to find out if its genuine tho. If its Loom i'll loose it.

Mastik 07-04-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal (Post 515387)
Welcome to AG, Mastik. :)

I understand the enthusiasm, but I changed your thread title. Those Twitter messages say nothing at all about reviving anything. In fact, saying it's not IP-specific suggests it's no such thing.

Yea np mate :)

Lupin The Third 07-06-2009 07:35 AM

I had a dream last night and in it Lucasarts announced that not only will their full library of classics get the MI SE treatment, but they've entered an agreement to do the same with classic Sierra games beginning with Kings Quest, Phantasmagoria, Space Quest, and Gabriel Knight....one can dare to dream, right?:crazy:

Toothless Gibbon 07-06-2009 08:11 AM

Digital re-releases of the classics (via steam or something) and/or new platforms (iPhone/Ds) ?

Keregioz 07-06-2009 09:10 AM

Is it Monday yet??

mosdl 07-06-2009 09:34 AM

http://www.lucasarts.com/company/vip...og_2009.pdfcom

Future Back-Catalog Announcements to be Made at http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames.
Subscribe today!
Back by Popular Demand, LOOM, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and
Star Wars Battlefront II Headline List of Games Soon to be Available via Direct
Download!
LucasArts Continues Initiative to Revive Classic Gaming Titles

Lucien21 07-06-2009 09:34 AM

Future Back-Catalog Announcements to be Made at http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames.
Subscribe today!
Back by Popular Demand, LOOM, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and
Star Wars Battlefront II Headline List of Games Soon to be Available via Direct
Download!
LucasArts Continues Initiative to Revive Classic Gaming Titles
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – July 6, 2009 – Fans have asked and LucasArts has
delivered! Today the company announced a new initiative in its effort to revive its
classic and beloved franchises by making its games available for the first time ever as
digital downloads online.
In this first round of releases, ten fan-favorite LucasArts PC games will be made
available Wednesday, July 8 on Steam®, Valve Corporation's delivery and management
platform for the PC. Scheduled for release are classic adventure titles like LOOM and
The Dig and hit action games including Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Republic
Commando.
The complete list of games to be released on July 8 via Steam includes:
• Armed and Dangerous™
• Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis
• Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
• LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
• LOOM™
• Star Wars Battlefront® II
• Star Wars Republic Commando®
• Star Wars Starfighter™
• The Dig®
• Thrillville®: Off the Rails™
“This effort is going to make it possible to introduce a whole new generation of gamers to
LucasArts’ classic games,” said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts. “It also gives
more people a chance to play our games by making them available long after they’ve
disappeared from store shelves. We hope our fans are as excited as we are about our
plans and we can’t wait to share what’s coming next. This is just the beginning.”
This series of launches continues LucasArts’ new mission to revitalize its deep portfolio
of beloved gaming franchises.
LucasArts previously announced the return of the classic Monkey Island® franchise with
two new projects due to be released in the near future. Tomorrow, July 7, Telltale will
premiere the Tales of Monkey Island® game series on PC, delivering a completely new
epic storyline and swashbuckling flair that will unfold across five monthly episodes. The
first Tales of Monkey Island chapter is expected to release for WiiWare™ in the coming
weeks as well.
The Monkey Island celebration continues on July 15 when LucasArts publishes The
Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, a completely re-imagined version of the first
game in the series that adds updated high definition graphics, a re-mastered musical
score, and full voiceover to the classic adventure game originally launched in 1990. The
Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will be made available on Xbox LIVE® Arcade
for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PC via
Steam and other online distribution channels.
Future announcements about the re-release of LucasArts’ back catalog titles will be made
through LucasArts’ Twitter feed at http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames.
About Steam
The leading online platform for PC games and digital entertainment, Steam delivers new
releases and online services to over 20 million PC users around the world. For more
information, please visit www.steamgames.com.
About Valve
Valve is an entertainment software and technology company founded in 1996 and based
in Bellevue, Washington. For more information, please visit www.valvesoftware.com
About LucasArts
LucasArts, a division of Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd., is a leading developer
and publisher of interactive entertainment software worldwide for video game console
systems, computers and the Internet. Based in San Francisco, Calif., as well as on the
Internet at www.lucasarts.com, LucasArts was created in 1982 by George Lucas to
provide an interactive element to his vision of a state-of-the-art, multifaceted
entertainment company.
LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES are trademarks or registered
trademarks of Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. © 2009 Lucasfilm Entertainment
Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. & ® or TM as indicated. All rights reserved.
Nintendo trademarks used under license. WiiWare is available only through the Wii console.

mosdl 07-06-2009 09:35 AM

Never played Last Crusade and Loom, might have to get those.

Lucien21 07-06-2009 09:36 AM

The complete list of games to be released on July 8 via Steam includes:
• Armed and Dangerous™
• Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis
• Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
• LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
• LOOM™
• Star Wars Battlefront® II
• Star Wars Republic Commando®
• Star Wars Starfighter™
• The Dig®
• Thrillville®: Off the Rails™

Lupin The Third 07-06-2009 09:36 AM

So they partnered with Steam? That was news? Letdown.

Mastik 07-06-2009 09:42 AM

I am really disappointed...

Lucien21 07-06-2009 09:45 AM

My guess is that they are testing the popularity of their old IP's.

If they sold like hotcakes then they might consider taking it further.

I think it is good news for anyone who hasn't played any of these old classics and want to play it on XP/Vista and can't figure out ScummVM or Dosbox.

mosdl 07-06-2009 09:46 AM

They are not going to do any more MI 1 style reworkings until they see the MI special edition do well.

Mastik 07-06-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 515608)

I think it is good news for anyone who hasn't played any of these old classics and want to play it on XP/Vista and can't figure out ScummVM or Dosbox.

Because SummVM is so complicated.

mosdl 07-06-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 515608)

They mention this is the first batch of games.

SamandMax 07-06-2009 09:55 AM

The fact that Lucasarts are actually re-releasing something like Loom seems like a pretty big news story to me. If these games and the MI remake sell well, and I'm sure Lucasarts are going to be checking the sales of them like a hawk, then they might consider remaking them or even continuing them in some way. As much as we'd like them to, I doubt they're suddenly going to announce Loom 2: The Weavening or a Day of the Tentacle 3D remake without feeling like the market would actually want to buy them, and re-releasing these old games is really the only way they can check to see if there's interest for them. These re-releases will play a big part in whether or not Lucasart's recent love for the old adventure games will continue or not.

DustyShinigami 07-06-2009 10:09 AM

Again, i think this is great news! And more of their back catalogue will be released, via Steam, in the future it seems. At least these old classics will be more accessible. This seems like a great year for adventure games. :) Let's all hope SOMI: SE sells well so we see more of their classics revived.

It's also great that the release date for SOMI: SE has been announced. I had a feeling it was going to be this month.

Matan 07-06-2009 10:48 AM

I'm really not sure what's the target audience for this release. Obviously new gamers would not be excited about playing old games, and most old-timers already have these games and can play them perfectly well on ScummVM. I'm actually pretty sure the sales on steam are going to be pretty bad, which would just re-assure Lucasarts that there is no market for adventure games.

Bruno_Malta 07-06-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matan (Post 515626)
I'm really not sure what's the target audience for this release. Obviously new gamers would not be excited about playing old games, and most old-timers already have these games and can play them perfectly well on ScummVM. I'm actually pretty sure the sales on steam are going to be pretty bad, which would just re-assure Lucasarts that there is no market for adventure games.

I agree...this is a lousy idea. This will only hurt more than help i believe.

JohnGreenArt 07-06-2009 11:10 AM

This is Loomed for failure.

I am excited that the *new* LucasArts wants to focus on getting new fans with their existing IP, and I think the MI:SE is definitely the right way to go, but this I don't think is going to be much of a success.

Now, this is the first batch of games, so we'll see. But so far, I don't see people reading this and saying "Ooh, I can't wait to play those same old adventures again!" I see them saying "Ooh, maybe the next batch will have X-Wing, or Tie Fighter, or Super Star Wars, or Indy's Greatest Adventures..." which makes sense because they are games that don't run in ScummVM, don't play ideally in DosBox, or only work in an emulator that pretty much requires illegal acquisition of a ROM. Not to mention, none of those are adventure games.

Where was the "AWESOME NEWS" for the old fans? This is barely worthy of a sidebar that should've been run alongside the MI:SE announcement.

Bruno_Malta 07-06-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnGreenArt (Post 515632)
This is Loomed for failure.

I am excited that the *new* LucasArts wants to focus on getting new fans with their existing IP, and I think the MI:SE is definitely the right way to go, but this I don't think is going to be much of a success.

Now, this is the first batch of games, so we'll see. But so far, I don't see people reading this and saying "Ooh, I can't wait to play those same old adventures again!" I see them saying "Ooh, maybe the next batch will have X-Wing, or Tie Fighter, or Super Star Wars, or Indy's Greatest Adventures..." which makes sense because they are games that don't run in ScummVM, don't play ideally in DosBox, or only work in an emulator that pretty much requires illegal acquisition of a ROM. Not to mention, none of those are adventure games.

Where was the "AWESOME NEWS" for the old fans? This is barely worthy of a sidebar that should've been run alongside the MI:SE announcement.

And that just shows to me that the managers on Lucas Arts haven´t changed that much. They believe that any crap that they feed us we will enjoy.

youfightlikeadairyfarmer 07-06-2009 11:30 AM

Meh. Is the Last Crusade anything like the Fate of Atlantis (definitely one of the best adventures)? I'll consider getting The Dig and maybe that if and only if they're under $10.

Matan 07-06-2009 11:33 AM

The Last Crusade is not very good. But if you haven't played the Dig you should get it for any price. Same goes for Loom, by the way.

tabacco 07-06-2009 11:53 AM

Wow, so everyone will spend years complaining that Lucas doesn't release their old games in the US anymore, then when they announce they're going to release their old games, everyone complains it's not exciting enough news. Awesome.

Jake 07-06-2009 11:55 AM

How can this at all be considered a bad idea? LucasArts has been sitting on an amazing back catalog for decades, and now that they release them people are somehow unhappy about it? Amazing.

If the offerings don't interest you, ignore them. The Steam re-releases aren't killing babies or clubbing seals or something, they're simply passively existing, available for anyone to purchase. Again, how is this bad?

... also, hi Doug!

cwapitm 07-06-2009 11:56 AM

Not exactly the news I was hoping for. I already have these games and can play them any time I want. It's good for those who no longer own them or never played them though. What I'm hoping for is for LucasArts to make a new adventure game.

Mastik 07-06-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco (Post 515637)
Wow, so everyone will spend years complaining that Lucas doesn't release their old games in the US anymore, then when they announce they're going to release their old games, everyone complains it's not exciting enough news. Awesome.

I never ever complaind about them not releasing their old games, so do I have your premmision to complain now?

JohnGreenArt 07-06-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 515638)
How can this at all be considered a bad idea? LucasArts has been sitting on an amazing back catalog for decades, and now that they release them people are somehow unhappy about it? Amazing.

If the offerings don't interest you, ignore them. The Steam re-releases aren't killing babies or clubbing seals or something, they're simply passively existing, available for anyone to purchase. Again, how is this bad?

... also, hi Doug!

It's not so much that it's a bad idea, but that they hyped it saying it was going to be "something new and awesome for old fans."

This is awesome for people who haven't played the games. People who have not played the games cannot be "old fans."

Sure, it's awesome for old fans who haven't played the games in awhile or no longer have them, and now they can buy them again, but just because there's a way to acquire them other than hunting them down on eBay or where have you, that doesn't exactly make it "new."

Sure, the next list of games might be awesomer, but I was really expecting some sort of new content here. Maybe not as "new" as the MI:SE, but... something!

Again, I see the misstep here on there part mostly be in how they hyped it. This is the Star Wars films being sold in a new collector's tin boxed set. Yeah, it's great if you don't have them, but if you do, what do you get? A tin box.

We're not even getting a tin box!

kadji-kun 07-06-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnGreenArt (Post 515646)
It's not so much that it's a bad idea, but that they hyped it saying it was going to be "something new and awesome for old fans."

if that is what was said word for word. Then this is only the beginning of the announcement. This isn't new, nor is it really aimed at old fans.

Lucien21 07-06-2009 01:00 PM

Not every adventure fan currently owns or has played these games so this is their opportunity.

This is great news and I don't understand the negativity.

Now these old classics will be more widely available and cost effective rather than trying to get them on ebay.

the versions.
Quote:

LOOM was released in both a 16-color EGA floppy disk version, as well as a 256-color CD-ROM version with full voiceover (so-called "talkie" support); Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was released on both floppy disk and then CD-ROM a year later; and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure was released on both floppy and CD as well ...

... but the Steam version of The Last Crusade isn't the CD-ROM version that was released in 1992! LucasArts tells us that the version of The Last Crusade that will be put on Steam is a "previously unreleased version" with "even more bugfixes" than the original CD-ROM re-release, along with a "Tandy 1000 sound engine." As for LOOM and Atlantis, you'll be seeing the CD-ROM "talkie" versions for both on Steam.

The Dig was CD-ROM only, and the other six titles being released on Wednesday only had one version. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is a special case – the remastered version is obviously new, but you can switch back and forth between the "Special Edition" and the original. That "original" release is in fact the CD-ROM version of the game, not the floppy disk version, in case you were wondering.

Also of note: the copy protection system for both LOOM and The Last Crusade was to include an add-in – the "Book of Patterns" and "Grail Diary" respectively – that would have to be referenced while playing the game (take that, pirates!). LucasArts tells us they'll have PDF versions of both

The Seed 07-06-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnGreenArt (Post 515646)
This is the Star Wars films being sold in a new collector's tin boxed set.

In a new tin box???? I am so there. :9

Trumgottist 07-06-2009 02:00 PM

Well, I am excited that I'll finally be able to get my hands on Loom! (I've been wanting to play that game for a long time, and piracy is not an option for me.)

I'm not disappointed at all. (But then I wasn't expecting too much in the first place either.)

GoT 07-06-2009 05:40 PM

All you Naysayers make me feel Nauseous. For years ppl have been blabbering on about how good all these old games are and so finally LucasArts have decided to give us access to them again in an official capacity.

I dont think they'll care either way whether the sales are good or bad, this will all be a pre-planned marketing idea (with a touch of love) that will see its way to fruition no matter how well it does on the way. The seven steps to heaven. First step. Announce a monkey island remake, second step: announce a 5th monkey island from Telltale, 3rd step: rerelease a whole batch of golden oldies so everyone gets a little bit of excitement and starts bantering about what might happen next.

so .... whats step 4 gonna be?

Lets just be happy whilst all this is going on and enjoy some great LucasARts classics. Lets keep all the negative hype to a minimum and just have some fun. These are the games we've been raving about for years and years....finally someone listened.

JohnGreenArt 07-06-2009 08:58 PM

Maybe if instead of LucasArts hyping this by teasing "something new for old fans" they said "something old for new fans" I wouldn't feel like I've been lead on as much.

tabacco 07-06-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnGreenArt (Post 515714)
Maybe if instead of LucasArts hyping this by teasing "something new for old fans" they said "something old for new fans" I wouldn't feel like I've been lead on as much.

Well, feel free to not buy it, I guess, but the rest of us are pretty excited. I'll happily pick up LOOM and FOA on Steam, plus maybe some others.

Matan 07-06-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 515638)

I didn't say this idea hurts anyone, just that I do not understand this decision marketing-wise. My prediction is that this would prove to be a bad idea as these games will not sell, but I would love to be found wrong.

Of course I am generally happy to see Lucasarts showing some love to its classic titles. It's just that I feel like this love is going to the wrong channels. In any case this news does not relate in any way directly to me, as I already have all the original games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco
Well, feel free to not buy it, I guess, but the rest of us are pretty excited. I'll happily pick up LOOM and FOA on Steam, plus maybe some others.

Actually, they said the released Loom version would be the CD-ROM one. If you haven't played the floppy-disk version yet, then I strongly recommend that you play it first - I really didn't like the new graphic style of the CD version, plus they removed some of the dialogs and puzzles.

kadji-kun 07-06-2009 10:18 PM

All of this is just as stupid as the Left 4 Dead 2 boycott. Jesus people, move on!