Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   All info on Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/22964-all-info-quantic-dreams-heavy-rain.html)

Toefur 10-22-2009 03:29 PM

I had the pleasure of playing this a few weeks ago, and I am definitely impressed! What game play I did encounter was almost entirely similar to Fahrenheit; but it was interesting and engaging! Looks like this will be the first PS3 game I buy. :)

Intrepid Homoludens 12-14-2009 07:44 PM

http://ps3thevolution.com/wp-content...05/heavy11.jpg

Preview: Heavy Rain's first full chapter | Joystiq

Quote:

When people find out I've been playing Heavy Rain, the first question that generally pops up is, "Is it anything but a series of Quick-Time Events?" The problem with that question is that it inherently assumes that a QTE necessitates a lack of player control. While it's true that the majority of player input is done via on-screen indicators, to simply call them quick-time events is a bit derogatory, ignoring the innovations that developer Quantic Dream has made. Not all actions require players to press buttons as quickly as they see them. In fact, most of the commands involve a very deliberate pace: you may need to move the analog stick slowly, or hold down two buttons while transitioning to a third. Some inputs use the PS3's built-in motion controls, while others will use a combination of various inputs. There are many ways of interfacing with the controller, with each QTE trying to simulate its corresponding, real-world action.

However, variety is not Heavy Rain's greatest innovation. Perhaps the most difficult aspect of the game to explain is its integration of inaction. You are often given the opportunity to do nothing -- and counter to your intuition, that can be the most satisfying option to pursue.

The idea of doing nothing in a video game might sound terribly unexciting, and I'm not suggesting everyone should follow my example. Instead, this single scene should serve as an example of why you'll want to absorb yourself in the fiction. There were a number of other options to pursue in that scene: play basketball, cook food, or even ignore the child altogether. Should you assume the role of these characters as you would in real life, and perhaps not "in a game," Heavy Rain will be thoroughly captivating.

Beacon 12-17-2009 06:49 AM

There is a new Q&A on Gamespot.com: David Cage answers Reader's Questions

Excerpt:

--
GS: Why did you decide to have four main characters instead of one?

DC: I wanted to create an experience based on several points of view. I played with this idea since my first game, Omikron, where you could get reincarnated into another body when you died. I explored this idea under a different form in Indigo Prophecy, and I wanted to go further in Heavy Rain. I believe that a part of the pleasure you feel playing comes from the fact that you are someone else. In Heavy Rain, you see the story through the eyes of four very different characters, with different voices, different personalities, different ways of moving [and] behaving, with different backgrounds confronted to different situations. It also helps the pacing of the experience by never letting the player know whom he will control next and what will happen to him or her. People initially thought that it would be an issue for identification, but I discovered in my past games that the identification process could work with several characters at the same time with no problem, as demonstrated by literature, cinema, and TV series for a long time.
--

kotkin 01-07-2010 11:50 AM

At least Sony announced release date for Europe at February 26!!! I'm so happy! Can't wait to play the game!!! David Cage is the best developer at the moment IMO.

Idrisguitar 01-07-2010 12:46 PM

on consoles anyway ;)

but yeah fahrenheit is one of my favourite ever games (even with its poor ending)

so i TRULY cant wait for this, and nice to know its coming soon. i doubt ill get a job by then so i can play it on my parents ps3 instead of having to buy my own :p

HaroldO 01-12-2010 05:46 PM

North American cover for Heavy Rain on Kotaku

I like the european a lot more. Seriously I kind of agree with Luke Plunkett. Japan and Europe always get nice clean looking boxart for Final Fantasy games and the US/CN is crappy half the time. Not to mention Ico.

If it weren't for the exchange ratio I'd start importing some games from Europe instead of America.

kadji-kun 01-13-2010 01:14 AM

Was going to get a PS3 for this, but sadly, I'm blowing my money on GDC this year. :(

In regards to the NA game cover. Holy crap that sucks. Do people realize there were other artists that made posters for film? Its as if marketing feels the need to draw inspiration from one film artist. Seriously, the UK version has so much emotion. Emotion that doesn't need to be forced with limit colors and horribly static character poses. GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Then, we have people that think the NA version is better than the UK. I have reasons why the UK one is better....yet they provide ignorance to fuel the hate......okay i'm done.

kotkin 01-13-2010 04:50 AM

I'm REALLY happy that I live in Greece, so I' will get the european box. The American is trying hard to be for a mainstream audience! Too much effort and really bad taste!! I don't like it at all...

kadji-kun 01-13-2010 09:32 PM

Sony Plans Less Awful Heavy Rain Box Art Option For America on Kotaku

Still not happy. You still have to print it up. Not to mention, most people don't have a quality printer that is capable of making the cover found on store shelves. :(

HaroldO 01-14-2010 08:15 AM

It's not perfect but I'm ok with the solution. I'd prefer they would release a double-faced cover, so you could just switch. I still don't have a PS3 but when I get it I'll decide where to import based on censorship.

Linque 01-14-2010 12:20 PM

It's just a box cover. And while not perfect, it even isn't that bad. Feels like people just want to find something to rant about.

HaroldO 01-14-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linque (Post 535813)
It's just a box cover. And while not perfect, it even isn't that bad. Feels like people just want to find something to rant about.

With DRM, Nintendo of America and the portrayal of gamers in the media, I don't feel like I have look around much for something to rant about. :P

But seriously if it's "just" a cover then that would be no reason to change box art in the first place. Actually that would be no need at all for box art. Just the name on the cover would be enough. But since the publishers feel that people "judge the book by its cover", I think its in their interest to listen to potential buyer's feedback.

I disagree with people saying they won't buy Heavy Rain because of the change. To me that's just Richard III level of overreaction. But that's where I draw the line, which is close to where you draw yours, so I understand what you're saying.

Personally I like game boxes, having them lined on a nice shelf. I spend a few more bucks (sometimes a lot more) importing games that I could get from a digital distribution service and among many reasons I choose to do so is because i like them pretty boxes and manuals. :D

Hamham Chan 02-09-2010 07:57 AM

Is there any info on the downloadable content for Heavy Rain?
Wikipeadia sez the first episode will be called "Chronicle 1 – The Taxidermist".

How often will new episodes be released?

Ugignadl 02-09-2010 11:13 AM

It's not episodic AFAIK, a complete game.

Hamham Chan 02-09-2010 12:10 PM

Yeah, I know. They will release the full game, and then follow it up with additional episodes that you can download.
Thats what i think anyway. Or maybe i misunderstood the info on wikipedia.

D.C. 02-09-2010 09:22 PM

You're right, Heavy Rain is getting DLC after release. I haven't read much about it, but here's what IGN has to say. I don't think all the details have been revealed yet.

Hamham Chan 02-10-2010 07:01 AM

Excellent. I hope we get lots and lots of dlc for Heavy Rain. :)

Intrepid Homoludens 02-10-2010 02:39 PM

http://gameinformer.com/cfs-filesyst...eavyrain02.png

The first wave of reviews for Heavy Rain...

Metacritic average score: 90/100

Game Informer: 95/100 | "It's barely a game in the popular sense of the word, but Quantic Dream's masterpiece makes groundbreaking strides in storytelling and character development, demonstrating that interactive entertainment still has a deep well of untapped potential."

Gamepro: 100/100 | "An emotionally engaging thrill-ride from start to finish, Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain is a superbly crafted interactive experience, told expertly through it's stunning visuals and believable characters."

1UP: 91/100 | "Despite their occasionally wooden appearance, I genuinely came to care for the protagonists. I liked these people and wanted them to complete the task before them. Before going in I knew that any and all of them could potentially die, which adds a stressful layer to an already tension-filled story. There were moments in Heavy Rain where I found my heart rate rising -- not because of a cheap, momentary fright caused by something like a dog jumping through a window in Resident Evil, but because of a sustained level of tension that would leave my hands shaking. Heavy Rain portrays pain, suffering, and death with a stark frankness that doesn't elevate horror as something to be entertained by. Instead, you're regularly put in positions where you must choose between two equally horrific outcomes."

Joystiq | "Many times, you're forced to make decisions no one should ever have to, but these characters must. Since the game, despite having an overarching plot, is full of branching avenues dependent on your actions, there are no "right" or "wrong" decisions. But you still need to make one, often under duress. Just as anyone would in these situations, you may make one you regret, that you want to take back, but you can't.

The game is full of sequences of legitimate terror, anxiety and fear for the life of the characters. You may have been scared by your characters' situations in games like Resident Evil, but never like this. Heavy Rain is, at times, emotionally draining and even exhausting."

AndreaDraco83 02-10-2010 03:25 PM

Alas, even if I had a Playstation 3, I don't know if I'd play this game. I don't know if I can sustain so much anxiety as the reviews seem to imply (and the trailers confirm).

Intrepid Homoludens 02-10-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 (Post 538552)
Alas, even if I had a Playstation 3, I don't know if I'd play this game. I don't know if I can sustain so much anxiety as the reviews seem to imply (and the trailers confirm).

Well, it IS rated 'M' for mature.

*runs*