Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/21703-gray-matter-official-site-hype-marketing-publishing.html)

Fien 04-02-2008 10:58 AM

I can be a b*tch sometimes and my post may have been a tiny teensy bit sarcastic, but I'm disappointed too, Simo, even if I'm not as crazy about JJ and her adventures as you and many others here are. I still think they're good games and I will definitely buy Gray Matter.

But... SIX years since Gray Matter was announced? Too long. Especially at my age. :shifty:

Lucien21 04-02-2008 11:15 AM

Is that Early 2009 or Xmas 2009?

After all these delays it better be the best damn adventure game ever made.

Very Disappointed :(

Simo Sakari Aaltonen 04-02-2008 01:51 PM

(My response to the serious accusations Jack Allin leveled at me can be found here: simosakari.livejournal.com/ (4/3/08 entry). It is not posted here because some would probably consider it off-topic, though for me it is very much on topic. I request that at least Jack and Fienepien read it. Thank you.)

All I have been trying to argue for is that we gamers afford as much ordinary human respect to the people making the games as we would wish others to afford us when talking straight to our face.

Can you see any validity to this point? The fact that the gaming community would be better in so many ways if we treated everyone involved as the individual manifestations of life that they are?

Are we all happy with the behavior of adventure gamers here and on the ANACONDA Gray Matter forum? Do we react in a way to be proud of when unexpected developments occur?

(Thanks for that very reasonable post, Fienepien. I am not terribly disappointed myself, In fact I am happy more than anything, that the game will receive all the time and attention it deserves. This way it will be even better in the end!)

Simo Sakari Aaltonen
(simo@adventurecompanion.com)

www.adventurecompanion.com

Jackal 04-02-2008 06:01 PM

If you have something to say to me, Simo, that's what the PM function is for. I'm not at all interested in your blog, and your overall views on the subject at hand are irrelevant to my reprimand. You are simply not welcome to make posts that serve no other purpose than to demean and provoke others. It's as simple as that. You've done it twice now, and it's unacceptable. No one else is taking cheap shots at you, and you aren't entitled to do so to them, no matter how justified you think they are. Period.

And now, enough with the sideshow, back to things that actually matter, like... Gray Matter. :D

Nico Sels 04-06-2008 10:09 AM

Correction

To stop people getting the wrong idea:

Gray matter was announced on August 24th 2006 by Anaconda/DTP.
So it's hardly six years that we wait for the game.

True, Gray Matter had already been anounced by a different publisher (The Adventure Game company) years before - untill they decided to blow the project off, you can't put the blame on DTP/Anaconda and say the game has been in development for six years! The adventure game company didn't even have a game engine or designs ready, so DTP had to start from scratch with the design bible Jane had finished earlier.

Fien 04-06-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico Sels (Post 465026)
To stop people getting the wrong idea:

Gray matter was announced on August 24th 2006 by Anaconda/DTP.
So it's hardly six years that we wait for the game.

True, Gray Matter had already been anounced by a different publisher (The Adventure Game company) years before - untill they decided to blow the project off, you can't put the blame on DTP/Anaconda and say the game has been in development for six years! The adventure game company didn't even have a game engine or designs ready, so DTP had to start from scratch with the design bible Jane had finished earlier.

Sigh...

Please point me to the post where I (you ARE responding to me, aren't you) say the game has been in development for six years. The word I used was *announced*. As a customer, as someone who wants to play a specific game, I essentially don't give a shit who or what or where, as long as I get the game. Yes, the game was announced in 2003. We hope it may be finished in 2009. That's six years.

But you are partly right: I most certainly do blame DTP for making the wrong decisions. All of a sudden they want Gray Matter to be developed by a "professional and experienced" team. What a load of crap. Didn't they want that when they chose Tonuzaba?

Ascovel 04-06-2008 02:07 PM

I'd say you have confused two different games. The Gray Matter announced in 2003 was another project. And the Gray Matter announced in 2006 is a remake of the old one. ;)

Melanie68 04-06-2008 03:56 PM

I think that Gray Matter is what was essentially Project Jane J. When you look at an archived preview from 2003, we have it linked to Gray Matter now.

I don't think you can remake a game that was never made in the first place. It's likely evolved from it's original concept. I'm also not really sure that it makes that big of a difference. It's getting made. :) (just my opinion)

Nico Sels 04-07-2008 01:22 AM

I think the others just clarified my point.. ;)

Fien 04-07-2008 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico Sels (Post 465095)
I think the others just clarified my point.. ;)

I don't know what that point might be. You simply twisted my words.

Ascovel 04-07-2008 06:06 AM

It's safe to assume Tonuzaba prooved to be problematic. Probably was getting the work done too slowly, but maybe something more serious happened.

I'm not at all bothered to wait another year. At my age the only release dates that I'm overly excited about are those of my own stuff.

Nico Sels 04-07-2008 08:17 AM

Fienepien:

At no point in time have I meant to "twist" your words or gave you a reason to feel attacked. I simply said that to prevent people misinterpreting your remark about the game being announed 6 years ago. Because publishers only ANNOUNCE a game when they are at least a couple of months IN PRODUCTION. Now please leave it be, I don't wish to turn something so pointless in a discussion.

BenjaminBunny 04-07-2008 08:30 AM

whatever.

I'm glad that Jane Jensen is making a new game.

(although I wish Vivendi weren't such a**h****s about withholding the rights to GK.....the idiots). :shifty:

AndreaDraco83 05-23-2008 10:54 AM

I know that this thread is old, but I want to point out that on the official forum for Gray Matter, Nico wrote a open letter to the DTP people.

I think that is good, for anyone who's waiting the game, to read that letter and reply to the post, 'cause it seems that people at DTP don't understand the point...

Melanie68 05-23-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 (Post 469667)
I know that this thread is old, but I want to point out that on the official forum for Gray Matter, Nico wrote a open letter to the DTP people.

I think that is good, for anyone who's waiting the game, to read that letter and reply to the post, 'cause it seems that people at DTP don't understand the point...

You might want to give a link for that particular thread over there. :)

Kazmajik 05-23-2008 01:55 PM

I happened to see this myself today (I still check out the official website and forum almost every day, hoping for any news at all.)

http://www.anaconda-games.com/forum/...pic.php?t=8333

They're either working really hard to keep this game under wraps, or they're not working at all. I just keep my fingers crossed that it hasn't been cancelled. All I can do is wonder, as there's no news whatsoever, since Wizarbox has taken on the development, but you'd never know if you go to their website. Not a word on Gray Matter.

Isn't there a Jane Jensen interview in the works?

Fien 05-23-2008 04:18 PM

That does it.

If there ever is a Grey Matter, I will buy it second-hand.
I'm sure both the developers and the publisher will be devastated. :)

Jackal 05-23-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazmajik (Post 469677)
Isn't there a Jane Jensen interview in the works?

Yep, it's in hand and ready to go. Just sorting through some final red tape, so it should be up soon.

D.C. 05-23-2008 07:58 PM

I can't wait, man. Should be a damn good read!

tsa 05-23-2008 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazmajik (Post 469677)
I happened to see this myself today (I still check out the official website and forum almost every day, hoping for any news at all.)

http://www.anaconda-games.com/forum/...pic.php?t=8333

They're either working really hard to keep this game under wraps, or they're not working at all. I just keep my fingers crossed that it hasn't been cancelled. All I can do is wonder, as there's no news whatsoever, since Wizarbox has taken on the development, but you'd never know if you go to their website. Not a word on Gray Matter.

Thanks for that link. Maybe they have severe internal problems that they can't talk about in public and that stall the development of the game.