Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Bone is said to be available! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/10390-bone-said-available.html)

nordic_guy 09-15-2005 09:41 AM

I downloaded the game, but it seems like I can only start it from the shortcut and not from the start menu, since the only icon there is to uninstall it. Did this happen to anyone else?

Mimus 09-15-2005 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordic_guy
I downloaded the game, but it seems like I can only start it from the shortcut and not from the start menu, since the only icon there is to uninstall it. Did this happen to anyone else?

Yeah, same here. Worse though is that it actually didn't install it to the directory I told it to... That directory is empty... :(

Tobbe 09-15-2005 09:44 AM

What are the system requirement for the demo? Yeah, I know, I´m too lazy to look up it on my own! :) Feel free to pan me.. :P

Martin Gantefoehr 09-15-2005 09:48 AM

My download aborted at 84% and now the damn thing won't reconnect to complete it... :shifty:

Is the server down?

Dale Baldwin 09-15-2005 09:50 AM

It's working for me, Martin.... 90%.....91%.... tick tock, tick tock...

bigjko 09-15-2005 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_manelius
What are the system requirement for the demo? Yeah, I know, I´m too lazy to look up it on my own! :) Feel free to pan me.. :P

Voila!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bone Site
# Windows XP or Windows 2000
# DirectX 8.1
# Free hard drive space: 140MB
# Newer 3D Accelerated Video Cards: (what is this?) 800 MHz P3 processor (or better)
# Older 3D Accelerated Video Cards: (what is this?) 1.5 GHz processor (or better)

bigjko 09-15-2005 09:52 AM

The demo was pretty good. I'm hoping the full game's not going to be too short. At any rate, I'm most likely buying either now, or tomorrow.

Highlights of the demo:

- Just loved that beginning sun, and pan down to desert
- Animation is smooth
- Three-person dialogue system was just perfect, and a nice surprise
- Animation on the eyebrows was awesome
- Full game only 78 MB! :o

What I didn't so much like:

- Voices didn't blend well together, f.ex. when Smiley's singing and Phoney's trying to talk at the same time, it just blends into into a big mess
- Some of Phoney's mouth animations seem weird (nitpicking!)
- Locusts didn't look so good, probably because of a lot of compression

EDIT: Just purchased. I'll see y'all later! PLAYIN' TIME!

Coop 09-15-2005 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_manelius

# Windows XP or Windows 2000
# DirectX 8.1
# Free hard drive space: 140MB
# Newer 3D Accelerated Video Cards: (what is this?) 800 MHz P3 processor (or better)
# Older 3D Accelerated Video Cards: (what is this?) 1.5 GHz processor (or better)

The Seed 09-15-2005 09:53 AM

I played through the trial and enjoyed it, enough to convince me to buy it, although I thought the graphics would be better, is there a way of uping the resolution?

Aside from the graphics issue I like everything else, the voice acting seems pretty good, although I think Fone is the weakest of the three. I enjoyed the humor as well:

Smiley Bone: "Look, there are birds up there..."

Fone Bone: "Eh, those are buzzards Smiley!"

Kolorabi 09-15-2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimus
Worse though is that it actually didn't install it to the directory I told it to... That directory is empty... :(

Same thing happened here... a bit annoying. I think this is the shortest demo I've ever tried, possibly a tie with the Obscure demo. Seemed fun, though. I'll probably buy the game tomorrow, depending on what people here say about it.

squarejawhero 09-15-2005 10:00 AM

Eh?

I guess I'm playing the full game. It's cute and worth the price. Quality of the animation and direction is a lot lower than I expected, though, but it's true to the book and is rather fun!

I get an "access violation" error and crash to desktop when -

Spoiler:
The rat creatures jump onto the branch with you

- which Telltale should be made aware of.

fov 09-15-2005 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Seed
I played through the trial and enjoyed it, enough to convince me to buy it, although I thought the graphics would be better, is there a way of uping the resolution?

What kind of graphics card do you have?

The graphics looked sharper when I played at their office than they do on my machine, but my graphics card is pretty old (GeForce 2). I assume that's why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Seed
Smiley Bone: "Look, there are birds up there..."

Fone Bone: "Eh, those are buzzards Smiley!"

I liked the exchange about Phoney's catering venture. :D

Martin Gantefoehr 09-15-2005 10:04 AM

Quote:

It's working for me, Martin.... 90%.....91%.... tick tock, tick tock...
Yeah, I fixed that in the meantime. The temporary download file somehow got corrupted it seems. I had to delete it, now the reconnect works.

gillyruless 09-15-2005 10:08 AM

Just finished the demo and it is very short. Other than the mini game, which I thought was comepltely pointless and didn't add anything to the game sort of like the Old Mine Rd section from FT, I think it took me maybe a total of 20 mouse clicks to get through the demo.

My reaction is mixed. The source material is of course strong and some of the doalogues seem to be lifted directly from the book word for word so the game has that going for it. But graphics in the demo is very underwhelming. Frankly, I expected it to be a lot better. Pehaps, it will get better in the later parts of the game? The demo was too short for me to judge the gameplay but it still feels to me like the game play has been simplified for those who are not farmiliar with AGs. In other words, not good enough for me. Voice acting is also underwhelming.

I might still buy it just becasue I'm a big fan of the comic book series. Would I pay 20 bucks for 5 hours of what I experienced in the demo if the game was not based on Bone? Not a chance. Overall, I'm somewhat dissapointed.

CrimsonBlue 09-15-2005 10:10 AM

Is this a "worldwide" release, and everyone with an internet connection buy the game?

Legolas813 09-15-2005 10:12 AM

Their server seems to be running well now. Downloaded the demo in under 60 seconds.

fov 09-15-2005 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Is this a "worldwide" release, and everyone with an internet connection buy the game?

Yes.

Kolzig 09-15-2005 10:23 AM

Now I played the demo, it felt really nice overall.
Especially the opening scene was great.
I guess I'll be buying this, soon.

Jake 09-15-2005 10:29 AM

Blar, damn workday. I will check this out in about 6 hours :(

fov 09-15-2005 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
Blar, damn workday. I will check this out in about 6 hours :(

I know how you feel. I've got plans tonight though so it'll be 9:00 before I can play. :frusty: