Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Bone is said to be available! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/10390-bone-said-available.html)

Maquisard 09-16-2005 06:17 PM

I'm a frickin' foreigner, I need my subtitles! :crazy:

Udvarnoky 09-16-2005 06:29 PM

I have to admit, I'm somewhat shocked they don't have subtitles for languages other than english.

Hamham Chan 09-16-2005 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Y
I asked about the locust chase when I was at their office (I hadn't read the comic yet so I didn't know it came from the book). I was told that Jeff Smith likes having his characters get chased around. *D I thought that was kind of a cute subtext to the sequence... like they'd specifically chosen to blow up a moment that Smith considers important, rather than just expanding any old thing into a mini-game.

I hope they turn the cowrace in to a minigame. :)

AudioSoldier 09-17-2005 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Why, because I thought AG's other 5091 members might be bored by the private conversation? :P Just doing my job. :D

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I think they've done a pretty good job of meshing a (traditionally 2D) point & click interface with the 3D environment. It's really easy to navigate.

Well, I hate the jumping sequences early on in the game. The camera pans -- albeit slowly -- annoyingly (which is obviously a repercussion of the 3-dimensional world) and I dislike having to watch for the cursor change. The latter is not the fault of the 3D backgrounds, rather the control scheme as a whole. Thankfully, that is the only puzzle that I have encountered where I've had to battle (maybe that is too strong a word) with the controls. Oh, and the locust chase would be another, I suppose, although that is mind-numbingly simple and quite frenzied and exciting too.

To be honest, there seems to be variety on offer, but in my opinion, it lacks cohesion. It seems Telltale have simply fully adhered to the book and for now, there's very little plot tying the exploration elements together. I mean, Bone: Out Of Boneville seems simply a demonstration of converting Jeff Smith's imagery and wit into a game. I'm not far in the game, but right now it has been severely linear and the focus has been simply on walking to the next screen and being shown the next "bone bit", if you know what I mean. Like, here's the rat creatures, and now is time for the dragon, and so forth. That's really my biggest qualm.

bigjko 09-17-2005 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
Well, I hate the jumping sequences early on in the game. The camera pans -- albeit slowly -- annoyingly (which is obviously a repercussion of the 3-dimensional world) and I dislike having to watch for the cursor change. The latter is not the fault of the 3D backgrounds, rather the control scheme as a whole. Thankfully, that is the only puzzle that I have encountered where I've had to battle (maybe that is too strong a word) with the controls. Oh, and the locust chase would be another, I suppose, although that is mind-numbingly simple and quite frenzied and exciting too.

To be honest, there seems to be variety on offer, but in my opinion, it lacks cohesion. It seems Telltale have simply fully adhered to the book and for now, there's very little plot tying the exploration elements together. I mean, Bone: Out Of Boneville seems simply a demonstration of converting Jeff Smith's imagery and wit into a game. I'm not far in the game, but right now it has been severely linear and the focus has been simply on walking to the next screen and being shown the next "bone bit", if you know what I mean. Like, here's the rat creatures, and now is time for the dragon, and so forth. That's really my biggest qualm.

I feel it gets better along the way, when you've gotten to the farm. By that time more backstory has been given, and you're doing a bit more puzzling.

And I don't know why, but jumping from rock to rock after getting out the cave felt nice. The cave, however, did not.

AudioSoldier 09-17-2005 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko
I feel it gets better along the way, when you've gotten to the farm. By that time more backstory has been given, and you're doing a bit more puzzling.

And I don't know why, but jumping from rock to rock after getting out the cave felt nice. The cave, however, did not.

I'm playing as Phoney now as he looks to pick the turnips. :)